BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

$500 for a Battery?!

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mustaine 
#1 ·
I took my '07 M6 into Tischer BMW a couple of days ago for a, "pre-purchase inspection". I bought my vehicle from Arena Motor Group in Owings Mills, and even though I think they insure their vehicles for sale are well serviced, I wanted a second opinion while the 30 day warranty from Arena was still in effect. Tischer didn't find anything wrong, but did note that the battery was the one that came with the vehicle originally, so it probably dated to 2006. Anyway, Tischer said that I was probably looking at having to replace the battery within the next couple of years (BTW, my M6 only has 20,000 miles). They said the cost of the battery was in the neighborhood of $300, and to install it was another $200.

Someone please tell me why the battery is so expensive, and why the amount Tischer would charge to install it would be almost for the cost of the battery. What is so unique about these batteries, and what's the procedure for changing them? Thanks.

#2 ·
You should be able to get an exact match from Batteries Plus, http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36538-luxury-and-import-car-and-truck-battery-werker-sli95r-li.aspx, for around $200 and install it yourself. The dealer is charging so much because they are probably selling you an AGM-type battery rather than basic Lead-Acid. My dealer said they are only selling the AGM-style anymore when I asked about mine several months ago. Also, they will charge you extra labor to "register" the battery. This topic is debated up and down the e60 chat rooms, and I decided not to do it. A battery is a battery is a battery, I feel.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I got the explanation about, "registering", the battery and I had no idea why a battery had to be, "registered". Since you indicated this has been discussed many times on the boards, I'll do further research myself. But $200 to install a battery? Give me a break!

#5 ·
Re: AGM-type battery vs. standard lead-acid. The original lead-acid battery in my 2004 545i lasted 7 years, thru 2011. When it died last year, the dealer wanted to sell me an AGM-type battery, saying this is all they carry any more. This is when I found an exact match for the original lead-acid at Batteries Plus. This is the story I was relating above. The battery in my 2009 M6 is still going strong, but it appears that BMW has fitted an AGM-type in these later cars. I cannot say what type of battery is fitted in your 2007 M6, but if it's the standard lead-acid style, not AGM, I do not see any reason an exact match will not work, just as your original battery did. If you car came with an AGM-type, then I would go with that instead.

#9 ·
I agree 100% about registering the battery. This needs to be done because car's electronic management system needs to process the information that a new fully active battery has been installed and optimum "current draw" has been restored. Or else, all the electronic systems will keep working as if the car still had old battery, and the "current draw" is not normal. In simple words, the process will "erase the history" or "clear the codes".
Please don't dismiss these suggestions as dealership trying to get you or else. They'll save you a lot of headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.