Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri [TBR] View Post
+1

The E66 is what the 7 was meant to be. Tell me this - when they show off the flagship, is it the E65 or the E66? The F01 or the F02? Let me answer that for you - it's the E66/F02. If you want a short, sporty car, please tell me why you didn't buy an M5 or an M6? David had the right idea
You're right about that statement. The 7 was meant to be an LI but BMW saw it fit to do a factory mod to make it an I. Usually people mod things to make them better don't they if the E66 which was the initial idea was perfect BMW would not make the I version.

BMW figured out that not only grandpas want to own a 7 to be driven in but younger drivers wanted a more sporty version that offers all the same comfort and features that the 7 offers to the driver without the useless extra length.

Anyone that has driven an E65 can tell you that it handles better than the LI and we have agreed it has a more sporty look which is what most people on here are going for. Why E66 drivers are talking about a car that only better benefits the passenger is beyond me. I enjoy the sporty look and better handling on my car 100% of the time. Unless the E66 drivers are hauling NBA players I would reckon that they use the extra space less than 5% of the time. The extra 5 inches is just wasted space between someone's knee and the back of the front seats...that extra room is not needed unless passengers in the front and rear are way over 6 feet.

Most people don't know what the differences are between the I and LI so trust me guys you dont have to lug around a longer less sporty grandpa car to impress people...the 7 in front of the two other numbers in the badge is all you need. What follows the 7 in the badging 45/50 , I/LI means nothing to the average person drooling at your under $30K car thinking it's still 100K and they can't afford to have one themselves.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
+1
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
We can go back and fourth all day, but the numbers don't lie, sisters. Only 1 in 15 seven series is an i, however here on this board nearly 50% of members own the short wheels base.

Short and simple; the e65 is the choice of the enthusiast. The e66 is papaw's last fling before the nursing home.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 PM
750li 745i

Mein Auto: 745.750.x5.350z.ram1500v8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
E66 guys are cheap bastards that want to get laid in the backseat of their car instead of getting a hotel room....we all know that's the only thing the room in the backseat is good for since most of you guys and your passengers are under 6 ft.
:thum bup: awesome lol
Old 08-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
You're right about that statement. The 7 was meant to be an LI but BMW saw it fit to do a factory mod to make it an I. Usually people mod things to make them better don't they if the E66 which was the initial idea was perfect BMW would not make the I version.

BMW figured out that not only grandpas want to own a 7 to be driven in but younger drivers wanted a more sporty version that offers all the same comfort and features that the 7 offers to the driver without the useless extra length.

Anyone that has driven an E65 can tell you that it handles better than the LI and we have agreed it has a more sporty look which is what most people on here are going for. Why E66 drivers are talking about a car that only better benefits the passenger is beyond me. I enjoy the sporty look and better handling on my car 100% of the time. Unless the E66 drivers are hauling NBA players I would reckon that they use the extra space less than 5% of the time. The extra 5 inches is just wasted space between someone's knee and the back of the front seats...that extra room is not needed unless passengers in the front and rear are way over 6 feet.

Most people don't know what the differences are between the I and LI so trust me guys you dont have to lug around a longer less sporty grandpa car to impress people...the 7 in front of the two other numbers in the badge is all you need. What follows the 7 in the badging 45/50 , I/LI means nothing to the average person drooling at your under $30K car thinking it's still 100K and they can't afford to have one themselves.
Very well said my friend
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Most people who don't own a 7 and even some of those who own one couldn't tell the difference easily if an I was badged as an LI so keep quiet with your nonsense. The difference in the length is not always that apparent
???????? Sure man seems like u are the one who knows it all. I disagree with every word u say.
Only agree with sportier look of an e65.
But if i want that ill get 5 or better m5. li stands out from the side with rear door longer then the front one and ppl who are into bmws can tell the difference specially when ur friend owns one. Enjoy ur e65 opinions like azzholes everybody has one. Like Db said it can go on forever and the only support u get is from e65 owners.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Major

Who cares if its 30k or 5k car many can buy, not many can afford to keep it.
Bad argument. Why are we even talk bout it. I dont care what ppl think. I bought it cuz i like it. Lol
But u know,,, maybe ur right..., ill sell my e66 and go look for e65. Dammit what was i thinking?, right. Big luxury cars are really for tall ppl.... Thats right..... So are the phantoms, maybachs, and megacap truks etc etc. years and years of research? Otherwise how else would u come up with all this. Bmw could make 3 door 7 if ppl liked it. They wanna sell they dont care how tall or short u are. Look they even made b7 li ask youself why.
This is how u think and what u think. Doesnt mean others think same. Try less man its all good.

Last edited by ***CCCP***; 08-26-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Bad argument. Why are we even talk bout it. I dont care what ppl think. I bought it cuz i like it. Lol
But u know,,, maybe ur right..., ill sell my e66 and go look for e65. Dammit what was i thinking?, right. Big luxury cars are really for tall ppl.... Thats right..... So are the phantoms, maybachs, and megacap truks etc etc. years and years of research? Otherwise how else would u come up with all this. Bmw could make 3 door 7 if ppl liked it. They wanna sell they dont care how tall or short u are. Look they even made b7 li ask youself why.
This is how u think and what u think. Doesnt mean others think same. Try less man its all good.
You both have some good points IMO
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah most of the people buying the lower priced E65\E66 cars can really afford them. Most of the guys on here make average salaries so most of the people awing over these cars can probably afford to have one in the same condition. I wonder how many poorly maintained cars there are on here will all types of lights on because the owners can't afford to fix them. If E66 guys think they have one up on the E65 guys then they are fooling themselves and believing they own hype. Anyone who owns an E65 can own an E66.

You talk about buying an M3 or M5. If you think the only difference between an M5 and a 7 series is the extra length then you need to go back and learn about 7 series. If you want to impress your friends with the size of your car and you're that worried about their comfort then buy the car below. You have not made one point about why the E66 is better for YOU - the driver. I bet most of your friends would be just as comfortable in the E65 and that they only know the difference between the two cars because you have one and have told them the difference. If your knees are not touching the front seats then shoulder room is what matters and that's the exact same in both cars. You obviously are looking for a sporty look...you have 21s etc...if you were looking for a sporty 7 series then you should have started with the right platform which is an E65.

This is what E66 drivers should be driving if the backseat room is the most important thing about the car
Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah most of the people buying the lower priced E65\E66 cars can really afford them. Most of the guys on here make average salaries so most of the people awing over these cars can probably afford to have one in the same condition. I wonder how many poorly maintained cars there are on here will all types of lights on because the owners can't afford to fix them. If E66 guys think they have one up on the E65 guys then they are fooling themselves and believing they own hype. Anyone who owns an E65 can own an E66.

You talk about buying an M3 or M5. If you think the only difference between an M5 and a 7 series is the extra length then you need to go back and learn about 7 series. If you want to impress your friends with the size of your car and you're that worried about their comfort then buy the car below. You have not made one point about why the E66 is better for YOU - the driver. I bet most of your friends would be just as comfortable in the E65 and that they only know the difference between the two cars because you have one and have told them the difference. If your knees are not touching the front seats then shoulder room is what matters and that's the exact same in both cars. You obviously are looking for a sporty look...you have 21s etc...if you were looking for a sporty 7 series then you should have started with the right platform which is an E65.

This is what E66 drivers should be driving if the backseat room is the most important thing about the car
I have nothing to add to this my friend very very very well said DFEL750I

Last edited by Lastcombo; 08-26-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
???????? Sure man seems like u are the one who knows it all. I disagree with every word u say.
Only agree with sportier look of an e65.
But if i want that ill get 5 or better m5. li stands out from the side with rear door longer then the front one and ppl who are into bmws can tell the difference specially when ur friend owns one. Enjoy ur e65 opinions like azzholes everybody has one. Like Db said it can go on forever and the only support u get is from e65 owners.
You disagree with me based on what? Are you saying that the average Joe knows the difference between the E65 and E66... Are you kidding me? We have people who own these cars that come on here that don't know the difference. When you disagree with things that are fairly obvious to most people your opinion gets discredited fairly easily.

I would bet you $1000 that you can take an E66 show it to someone...drive it around the block and come back with an E65 in the same colour and 9 out of 10 people would think you were driving back around with the same car. You can even throw some 7 series owners in that mix too and the numbers wouldn't change.

You can probably even take a 5 series and badge it as a 7 series and most people wouldn't know the difference....you know why? That's because the average joe can only tell which model it is by the damn badge on the car and the only thing that means something to them is the first number in the badge. Same thing with the other models. 323, 325,328xi, 335 are all 3 series to the average person. When people ask what car I drive and I say a 7 series they never ask if it's a I or LI ...the most they will do is ask what year. So tell me again If I want to drive a 7 series, why would I want to drive a less sporty car which doesn't offer any additional benefits to the driver?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcombo View Post
I have nothing to add to this my friend very very very well said DFEL750I
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM

+ 1
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Major

Why are u bragging about it for so long i already told you I DONT CARE. And the reason i have e66 cuz I LOVE IT))))And i hate the short look of the rear door on e65. i dont want limo i dont care what u think, i dont care if other ppl know the difference or they dont. I know the difference thats why i choose e66. Im not going into argument with u cuz i know i wont prove **** to you and u wont change my mind with whatever u say about it so i wont waist my time. I love my long boat e66 lol it all that matters.))))) everything u said u should save it and post it in every thread where ppl ask for an advise b4 buying the car. Tell them all to get e65. And lets see how far they tell u to go. Ppl like different stuff thats why i dont agree with u
Old 08-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Why are u bragging about it for so long i already told you I DONT CARE. And the reason i have e66 cuz I LOVE IT))))And i hate the short look of the rear door on e65. i dont want limo i dont care what u think, i dont care if other ppl know the difference or they dont. I know the difference thats why i choose e66. Im not going into argument with u cuz i know i wont prove **** to you and u wont change my mind with whatever u say about it so i wont waist my time. I love my long boat e66 lol it all that matters.))))) everything u said u should save it and post it in every thread where ppl ask for an advise b4 buying the car. Tell them all to get e65. And lets see how far they tell u to go. Ppl like different stuff thats why i dont agree with u
I understand that you love your car and you should. Just understand that E65 owners love their cars too and have better reasons why they love their cars than "liking the longer door". If you can defend your choice simply on the merit of you liking the longer door then you can certainly understand why us E65 guys can defend out choice based on the car having a more sporty look and better handling.....and I like the even length of the front and back door...doesn't make me feel like I'm driving a limo.. I like symmetry in a car.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LI
I just bought f02 couple of months back. I had an E65 before. I am not lying, after looking at my f02, he asked if I had a 5 series before? I said, no that was a 7 as well. Just short wheel based.

My E65 was my first 7 and it had a very special place in my life.

Last edited by king0fspades; 08-26-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
Quote:
You disagree with me based on what? Are you saying that the average Joe knows the difference between the E65 and E66... Are you kidding me? We have people who own these cars that come on here that don't know the difference. When you disagree with things that are fairly obvious to most people your opinion gets discredited fairly easily.

I would bet you $1000 that you can take an E66 show it to someone...drive it around the block and come back with an E65 in the same colour and 9 out of 10 people would think you were driving back around with the same car. You can even throw some 7 series owners in that mix too and the numbers wouldn't change.

You can probably even take a 5 series and badge it as a 7 series and most people wouldn't know the difference....you know why? That's because the average joe can only tell which model it is by the damn badge on the car and the only thing that means something to them is the first number in the badge. Same thing with the other models. 323, 325,328xi, 335 are all 3 series to the average person. When people ask what car I drive and I say a 7 series they never ask if it's a I or LI ...the most they will do is ask what year. So tell me again If I want to drive a 7 series, why would I want to drive a less sporty car which doesn't offer any additional benefits to the driver?
Way to stick up for the E65 guys man! I love my E65, but I'm not going to bash other people based on which one they have. I think both are great in there own ways and they both bring something different to the table, which is why BMW made them both, to appeal to the taste of different buyers. Thats just my two cents!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
***CCCP*** I think your whip looks good!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BOI 750i View Post
***CCCP*** I think your whip looks good!
Thx man
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
Good arguments and opinions I've owned the E65 and for the last 8mths the E66 and to be honest I do prefer the E66 it handles just as well as the E65 especially when you change the EDC from comfort to sport, you never have to put the car in sports mode because its stupidly fast already, everyone sitting in the car has guaranteed comfort and the Li is just superior......Luxury, Lovely, Luscious and liked by all.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
On that note is there any E65 owners out there which would like there car to have DVD screens in the rear. I have an E65 multimedia interface unit if you are interested model number: QVL-E65-V2. I brought it to fit in my E65 when I had it but never got round to doing it, it's still brand new and unused if you're interested let me know. I have also downloaded the installation manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352993060.559943.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	349639   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352993157.813956.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	349640  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 E66 745Li
Quote:

Lol I agree with you

The amount of times people asking me is it a 5er lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 E66 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post
On that note is there any E65 owners out there which would like there car to have DVD screens in the rear. I have an E65 multimedia interface unit if you are interested model number: QVL-E65-V2. I brought it to fit in my E65 when I had it but never got round to doing it, it's still brand new and unused if you're interested let me know. I have also downloaded the installation manual
I see you have advertised it on ebay

Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4T_POM View Post
Lol I agree with you

The amount of times people asking me is it a 5er lol

Thats a lot different here in the US. I dont think I know anyone who would think my 7 is a 5 series. Obviously we hit a nerve with some people in the I/LI debate. So ill say this. I love my LI, the added leg room for my friends has never gone un-noticed, including when I let someone else drive. The added room in the back has come in handy when I need to transport stuff (cuz lets be honest, the trunk space is not that much). Although you could argue handling all you want - I don't care, my 7 is not going on a track (Also: Why do they offer the LI in sports package then??) DFEL started going off on some tangent about people's income, etc... But the fact of the matter is at the end of the day the LI is worth more, has a longer wheel base, and I don't know about you, but I would rather have the bigger of the big cars simply for the reason I listed above.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7 e66
its not just about 5Ft. LI is totally different suspension and shocks it have the Self leveling system & it will adjust the Shocks in the hard corner. so much different in driving it.
also the rear AC control in LI it have 2 AC control.