Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 BMW X3
Thumbs down EML light on after RMFD tranny install....

If u remember we had just rolled into San Antonio and RW was the first place I took the car for repair. One of the reasons I let them fix the car was they said they were going to put a (new) tranny in. Im not saying I know everything or alot about my car but when they make a big deal about how they didnt mess with rebuilds, that they only dealt with (new) transmissions. Since Penske was paying for it we might as well see if they will bite. Telling me that they would probably come back with an offer to pay 1/2 or rebuilt one. Telling me they warrant all their work etc. Basically Im feeling they are very knowledgable and seem to want to help me rather than hurt me!
When I got the check from Penske, called them they said it was ready. John and I get there and write them out a check $6330 the guy calls it in using the automated system, they decline it. Im telling the guy to speak to a live person esp. for a check that large. My husband left work to give me a ride to get the car and go right back. They had us jumping through hoops for over 5 freaking hours over this damn check. I started getting really frustrated. The funds were verified not once but twice with the lady from the bank. Not good enough, what is the problem. They keep saying how sorry they were but they had been burned lately buy a dude that played for the Spurs...right. and couldnt take any chances. Didnt make alot of sense to me but what could I do.
The bank told them we had over 7k in the bank but for some freaking reason that wasnt good enough for them. This run around went on for almost 5 hours. They wouldnt give me my car. Finally after 5 hrs we left and went to the bank and withdrew $6330.00 walked in and handed it to them in cash.

When we first arrived, got the invoice, I ask Juan for a copy of the other estimate so I could see exactly what we were being charged (out of pocket), he tells me he doesnt have a copy of it, said "we wouldnt keep a copy? Come on? This didnt sound right to me. I thought I should compare the (what they said they were going to do list) to the (what they actually did list) isnt that what people do when they get billed? I had the originals but not with me right then, forgot them on kitchen table at home. So right then, at that moment I had no choice. I thought, just get the car home then inspect it. Originally there was an estimate for Penske and another for US, items that they thought needed repaired. Why would they bill all the work together? Shouldnt there have been 2 different invoices

The original Penske estimate they list the tranny as A5S 390R TRANS but on the invoice they list it as RMFD Auto Transmission. The part numbers are same and I understand RMFD Transmissions are just as good as new. I think Penske thpught they were getting a New unit, not a RMFD unit? Shouldnt the repairs on the service invoice match the claim estimate?
Adjustments were made to the repairs on our estimate but never updated and given a copy. Do you guys think somethings wrong with the repair invoicing vs estimate quotes?

Rhine West in San Antonio replaced my transmission in my O4 X3. Ive had it back 3 days now, first day I thought rpms jumped up on me while I was crusing 65mph, then again next day, then tonight I was headed to the store backed out and started down a small hill and when I gave it a little gas, rpms went up but car didnt engage for about 2 secs. Leaving the store I see the EML and service engine soon light come on. The tranny slipped once more while driving. I took it in yesterday........... new issues, will start new thread. Is this what you guys go through when you get repairs done? I cant handle the stress, this seems crazy to me. Im getting pains in my stomach and everything from this.

Last edited by leannaluv; 08-29-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: confusing for reader, rephrased
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannaluv View Post
As some of you know I just got my car back from Rhine West in San Antonio after they replaced my transmission in my O4 X3. Ive had it back 3 days now, first day I thought rpms jumped up on me while I was crusing 65mph, then again next day, then tonight I was headed to the store backed out and started down a small hill and when I gave it a little gas, rpms went up but car didnt engage for about 2 secs. Leaving the store I see the EML and service engine soon light come on. Are you kidding me?

If u remember we had just rolled into San Antonio and RW was the first place I took the car for repair. One of the reasons I let them fix the car was they fed me a great bowl of .. Im not saying I know everything or alot about my car but when they make a big deal about how they didnt mess with rebuilds, that they only dealt with (new) transmissions. That since Penske was paying for it we might as well see if they will bite. Telling me that they would probably come back with an offer to pay 1/2 or rebuilt one. Telling me they warrant all their work etc. Basically Im feeling they are very knowledgable and seem to want to help me rather than hurt me! I gave them over 6k in work w/600 coming out of pocket. When I got the check from Penske, called them they said it was ready. Tell me if Im wrong here,,, John and I get there and write them out a check $6330 the guy calls it in using the automated system, they decline it. Im telling the guy to speak to a live person esp. for a check that large. My husband left work to give me a ride to get the car and go right back. They had us jumping through hoops for over 5 freaking hours over this damn check. I got so pissed off I had to stay outside. The funds were verified not once but twice with the lady from the bank. Not good enough, Im like wth is the problem. They keep saying how sorry they were but they had been burned lately buy a dude that played for the Spurs...lol.. right. and couldnt take any chances. Really? The check is from Penske, Im pretty sure thats not what they cared about, obviously the 600 that was coming out of our own funds? Ive no idea. tic toc tic toc, The bank told them we had over 7k in the bank but for some freaking reason that wasnt good enough for them. I was so freaking mad everytime I headed in the shop my husband would cut me off and tell me I'll be done in a few minutes.. this went on for 4+ hours...
Those .................. would not give me my car. Finally after 5 hrs we left and went to the bank and withdrew $6330.00 walked in and handed it to them in cash. They about sht. I have never heard of such bs in my life. My husband almost lost his job, he was suppose to drop me off and come right back. Instead I had to watch him jump through hoop after hoop hour after hour, and for what, nothing. Just because?

One more thing. when I got home I was going over the invoice very carefully, I see on the Penske quote the transmission is listed A5S 390R TRANS but on my service invoice I see RMFD auto transmission. different? I realize that RMFD's are almost as good as new. I called BMW and ask if what I was seeing was cool. What gets me is Juan was having none of any tranny rebuilt, New or nothing. I swear it. They guys here know Im not lying, I told them when he told me. He was against the rebuilt ones and said BRAND NEW TRANNY is what we were getting. Do you think Penske thought they were paying 5K for a RMFD one? Im thinking no. New is new, RMFD is RMFD right or no? What ended that conversation was when he tells me "you must of misunderstood me? Told him I didnt misunderstand .... told him we had a problem and click. He called my husband, who is to blame for this entire mess to begin with! They also ripped the tint on 3 of the four windows, little tears with no tint. Im not a b, Im really nice usually very reasonable. But after the way they treated John and I picking the car up, they are on my sht list, I will haunt them as long as I can. They have no idea. Im taking the car and have it checked for EVERY LITTLE THING listed on that invoice.

I didnt want them to do the extra stuff but somehow when I wasnt around they talked my husband into it. Almost $125 hr for labor! Originally there was an estimate for Penske and another for US, items that they thought needed repaired. Why would they bill all the work together unlike the estimates? Is that normal?

You guys have always been honest with me here, if Im wrong I will accept that but plz splain lol......... at this point Im just hoping I dont end up in jail. Oh joy, Im cool until they start telling me things that didnt happen.. thats were things go sough. Dont tell me the sun is shinning with we both know its freaking raining.
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Remanufactured transmissions are the norm and are every bit as good as a new one. I don't think you can even buy a new transmission. This is the BMW parts listing and they only show remanufactured: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=24&fg=05

The run around because of the check is not unheard of. There are so many scammers printing "authentic looking" checks that everybody is scared of them.

The EML light may have something to do with the tranny or it may not. The only way to tell is to get it scanned and see.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
How many miles on your X3? First time I hear about a GM5 tranny going bad in an X3. Good thing you had the warranty! Just take the car back to them, it's very common they don't get it right the first time around.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Towed incorrectly

Sorry for not being more clear regarding the tranny, it got fried due to my husband taking Penske's advice and using a car dolly, They paid for the tranny, thank God.

My girl did however just rollover to 100k.... People are telling me to get rid of it now because since the tranny issue things will just start going bad one after another. Is that really what happens? I love that car so much, I got ripped off when purchasing it so how in the hell am I gonna sell it? What I really need to do is have my contract looked at by someone who would know if they ripped me off. I know they did, its a long story and at this point I dont know what the heck to do.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Remanufactured transmissions are the norm and are every bit as good as a new one. I don't think you can even buy a new transmission. This is the BMW parts listing and they only show remanufactured: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=24&fg=05

The run around because of the check is not unheard of. There are so many scammers printing "authentic looking" checks that everybody is scared of them.

The EML light may have something to do with the tranny or it may not. The only way to tell is to get it scanned and see.
Yea Im sure your right. Regardless I have to take it back to them tomorrow morn, Im so not looking forward to that at all. Do you think they will replace my tint? What if they say they didnt do it? Wow, lets just hope they dont,
Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 PM

about the run around, I get that people are doing that everywhere, difference is they knew all but $600 bucks of that money was from Penske, the check was good. They're gonna sweat $600 when I just gave them $5700 bucks in work?

Thats all Im saying.