Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive (on order)
Ordered the wrong car!

Holy crud, did I order the wrong car. L
Long story short, I feel in love with the X1 about a month ago based purely on pics of Euro version. Our dealer finally got one in a couple of weeks ago and I drove and ordered on the same day. Production completion is estimated on 8/28. I had this nagging feeling something wasn't quite right with the pics on the configuration area of the BMW site and all the saved pics I found online.
I realized last night that my car on order has a black skirt, not satin. I love the satin! I have seen cool pics of the Jet Black with all black rails and skirts, but the satin chrome ones are my favorites. It looks like I have to order the xLine to get that as an option in the US. I found OEM parts online, but all are overseas and I don't know cost wise if it's better to add another $1900 to the price of my ordered car or spend $1000 on after market mods. Can I even change the order at this point?
This is my first Bimmer and my first made-for-me car, so I don't know the rules. I sent and email to my SA, but haven't heard back yet.
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 328i
I heard the few X1s available are flying off the lots. They may let you reorder and just sell the one that's coming in. You may have to pay a "restocking fee" but it may be worth it. Talk to your sales advisor...be calm.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
It really depends which other options that you ordered are important to you, since the lines are mutually exclusive! So for example if you get satin skirts then you can't get sport seats! How crazy is that? Your interior color scheme will probably change too, so be careful what you wish for. BMW lines is one of those "bright" ideas that saves the company money on paper but probably loses customers in the real world.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM

I would have to change the interior unless I went for beige leatherette, but I can't imagine faux leather in this car. Probably would do oyster with orange and black details. Haven't seen Terra in person, but that may work too. The copper trim looks pretty good. Originally I had upgraded the wheels, but I like the stock on the xLine.
I am staying calm, but there's no way I even want the car as ordered. All I have put down is a $1000 deposit and I didn't sign anything. I'll give my SA a day to respond. Could they really charge a restocking fee for a car that hasn't even been made yet?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1FirstBMW View Post
I would have to change the interior unless I went for beige leatherette, but I can't imagine faux leather in this car. Probably would do oyster with orange and black details. Haven't seen Terra in person, but that may work too. The copper trim looks pretty good. Originally I had upgraded the wheels, but I like the stock on the xLine.
I am staying calm, but there's no way I even want the car as ordered. All I have put down is a $1000 deposit and I didn't sign anything. I'll give my SA a day to respond. Could they really charge a restocking fee for a car that hasn't even been made yet?
I wouldn't worry. Just tell them you want too order another car if they don't let you, then go to the closest dealer with the deposit back.
reorder its that simple they will sale the car you ordered trust me.

GET WHAT YOU WANT DO NOT SETTLE!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
If the vehicle has not entered production status 112 yet, you may be able to change the vehicle options on the existing allocation slot.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Happy update. My new SA was able to help me order the right car. The previous version was already in production, but the dealership will take possession and sell it. (I doubt it will last a few days on the lot. I have yet to see a FWD at all even here in the South). I ordered the right car and kept the previously agreed upon price reduction. Best news, I have an early Sept. production slot, so delivery would probably be next month.
Car ordered- xLine sDrive in Jet black with Oyster interior and satin roof rails.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: German
^ fwd?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Sorry, Typo, it is RWD. Car is in production already. Obviously, I probably needed more assistance than your usual BMW owner. Am I the only one who had so many issues with the Build Your Own? The dealership wasn't any better. I had as much, or more, info that they had. I guess that is to be expected with a new brand model, but it has been a bit frustrating.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Sorry, Typo, it is RWD. Car is in production already. Obviously, I probably needed more assistance than your usual BMW owner. Am I the only one who had so many issues with the Build Your Own? The dealership wasn't any better. I had as much, or more, info that they had. I guess that is to be expected with a new brand model, but it has been a bit frustrating.
No, you're not the only one. BMW's BYO sucks and it never works right. The dealer's computers are much better at that because there are some options that can't go together.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Satin skirts

Quote:
Holy crud, did I order the wrong car. L
Long story short, I feel in love with the X1 about a month ago based purely on pics of Euro version. Our dealer finally got one in a couple of weeks ago and I drove and ordered on the same day. Production completion is estimated on 8/28. I had this nagging feeling something wasn't quite right with the pics on the configuration area of the BMW site and all the saved pics I found online.
I realized last night that my car on order has a black skirt, not satin. I love the satin! I have seen cool pics of the Jet Black with all black rails and skirts, but the satin chrome ones are my favorites. It looks like I have to order the xLine to get that as an option in the US. I found OEM parts online, but all are overseas and I don't know cost wise if it's better to add another $1900 to the price of my ordered car or spend $1000 on after market mods. Can I even change the order at this point?
This is my first Bimmer and my first made-for-me car, so I don't know the rules. I sent and email to my SA, but haven't heard back yet.
Whe,re did you find the aftermarket satin skirts, i may want to add them, but didn't want to pay 1900 for the x line since I already added over 10k of options.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 AM

I found some on EBay. They appeared to be Taiwanese made parts sold by a Chinese company. That was an issue for me. Too paranoid to order from unknown "companies" overseas. The parts were just $300. A good DIY type guy could probably install them easily. Since I'm neither a guy or a DIY auto type, I figured another couple hundred for install.
Hope that helps! It hurt to pay $1900 for such a small cosmetic change.