Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Need opinions, how much would you pay for this M5?

My brother recently totaled his E39 540i and is looking to upgrade to a E39 M5. The M5 in question is a 2001 with nearly 51,000 miles. Would you guys say that $21900 is a fair price? I believe my brother is taking it to a nearby dealership to have an inspection done, so he'll hopefully know of any problems on the horizon. He tells me that full records are included which is a plus.

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced

Last edited by DinanBimmer; 08-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
what are they inspecting??????

Local to you? I can recommend a dealer/tech via PM in sacto.

There is no such thing as 'a standard BMW PPI;.. lots to be missed.

Price is high for a 2001 but miles are very low. DO keep in mind that "BMW maintenance" is pretty minimal.

You want to see brake flushes, coolant flushes, tranny and rear diff fluid changes. Like all you will see is oil changes and maybe on brake flush when under warranty. If it really does have 'full maintenance', it will be a rare bird (and maybe worht some premium)

A
Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
what are they inspecting??????

Local to you? I can recommend a dealer/tech via PM in sacto.

There is no such thing as 'a standard BMW PPI;.. lots to be missed.

Price is high for a 2001 but miles are very low. DO keep in mind that "BMW maintenance" is pretty minimal.

You want to see brake flushes, coolant flushes, tranny and rear diff fluid changes. Like all you will see is oil changes and maybe on brake flush when under warranty. If it really does have 'full maintenance', it will be a rare bird (and maybe worht some premium)

A
Thanks for the tips, the car is local to my brother in san francisco. Not sure what he's having inspected. I'll pass this info along to him.

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 08-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sacramento? my neck of the woods, sort of. Valley motor werks local is a good M5 shop

m5board dot com for all things m5. e39 subforum

A
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
If he's buying from a dealer, they can run a VIN printout and show all work done at BMW facilities. He should ask to see it, not just maintenance records.

Can your brother DIY? Doing the little things really help on these cars, as you probably know.

Suggest he check the For Sale section on M5Board to get a feel for pricing. IMHO its worth paying a bit more for good maintenance.
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM

The buyer ended up backing out of the deal at the last minute for no particular reason. My brother's not much of a DIY'er. I usually do simple things to his car if he needs me too. It's a shame he couldn't experience the e39 M5 for himself, he's already committed to a newer bmw that I hope to test drive