Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 08-25-2012, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: '09 GT-R, '07 M6
$500 for a Battery?!

I took my '07 M6 into Tischer BMW a couple of days ago for a, "pre-purchase inspection". I bought my vehicle from Arena Motor Group in Owings Mills, and even though I think they insure their vehicles for sale are well serviced, I wanted a second opinion while the 30 day warranty from Arena was still in effect. Tischer didn't find anything wrong, but did note that the battery was the one that came with the vehicle originally, so it probably dated to 2006. Anyway, Tischer said that I was probably looking at having to replace the battery within the next couple of years (BTW, my M6 only has 20,000 miles). They said the cost of the battery was in the neighborhood of $300, and to install it was another $200.

Someone please tell me why the battery is so expensive, and why the amount Tischer would charge to install it would be almost for the cost of the battery. What is so unique about these batteries, and what's the procedure for changing them? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M6
You should be able to get an exact match from Batteries Plus, http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36538...sli95r-li.aspx, for around $200 and install it yourself. The dealer is charging so much because they are probably selling you an AGM-type battery rather than basic Lead-Acid. My dealer said they are only selling the AGM-style anymore when I asked about mine several months ago. Also, they will charge you extra labor to "register" the battery. This topic is debated up and down the e60 chat rooms, and I decided not to do it. A battery is a battery is a battery, I feel.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60 View Post
You should be able to get an exact match from Batteries Plus, http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-36538...sli95r-li.aspx, for around $200 and install it yourself. The dealer is charging so much because they are probably selling you an AGM-type battery rather than basic Lead-Acid. My dealer said they are only selling the AGM-style anymore when I asked about mine several months ago. Also, they will charge you extra labor to "register" the battery. This topic is debated up and down the e60 chat rooms, and I decided not to do it. A battery is a battery is a battery, I feel.
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I got the explanation about, "registering", the battery and I had no idea why a battery had to be, "registered". Since you indicated this has been discussed many times on the boards, I'll do further research myself. But $200 to install a battery? Give me a break!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice. You do need an AGM battery and it definitely needs to be registered. I can't even begin to tell you how many threads I have read over the years regarding problems people have had stemming from not registering their battery.

You can certainly buy a battery on your own and have it registered by an Indy or someone who has the proper software if you want to save some money over the dealership.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M6
Re: AGM-type battery vs. standard lead-acid. The original lead-acid battery in my 2004 545i lasted 7 years, thru 2011. When it died last year, the dealer wanted to sell me an AGM-type battery, saying this is all they carry any more. This is when I found an exact match for the original lead-acid at Batteries Plus. This is the story I was relating above. The battery in my 2009 M6 is still going strong, but it appears that BMW has fitted an AGM-type in these later cars. I cannot say what type of battery is fitted in your 2007 M6, but if it's the standard lead-acid style, not AGM, I do not see any reason an exact match will not work, just as your original battery did. If you car came with an AGM-type, then I would go with that instead.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice. You do need an AGM battery and it definitely needs to be registered. I can't even begin to tell you how many threads I have read over the years regarding problems people have had stemming from not registering their battery.

You can certainly buy a battery on your own and have it registered by an Indy or someone who has the proper software if you want to save some money over the dealership.
The BMW dealer would charge $500 for the battery ($300) and labor ($200). How much cheaper would an independent shop charge to do it right?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Alpine White M6
I agree with David you want the AGM type battery and DEFIANTLY want it to be registered!

08 Alpine White BMW M6 Drop Top

Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R/M6 View Post
The BMW dealer would charge $500 for the battery ($300) and labor ($200). How much cheaper would an independent shop charge to do it right?
Here Is a link for a battery for $160. I'm sure you can find them cheaper, this is just the first place I looked.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9459_351749_0_

You need to find a shop that has the proper software to register the battery. You should be able to come out on this job (battery, register, install) at around the $250 mark.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
I agree 100% about registering the battery. This needs to be done because car's electronic management system needs to process the information that a new fully active battery has been installed and optimum "current draw" has been restored. Or else, all the electronic systems will keep working as if the car still had old battery, and the "current draw" is not normal. In simple words, the process will "erase the history" or "clear the codes".
Please don't dismiss these suggestions as dealership trying to get you or else. They'll save you a lot of headache.