Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
JBD and Bavarian Technic Cable Diagnostic / Reset Tool

CAN I RESET MY SPEEDOMETER to measure the correct SPEED with this BT tool?

READ below for full story:
I have been reading about the subject tool to help diagnose and reset error codes...like when you install a new battery. I also read where you can reset lighting quality, turn things on/off...etc with this tool. If that is so, ie. am i able to reset my speedometer to MEASURE THE CORRECT SPEED?

SEveral years ago, i wrote BMW (Munich) a real nasty-gram stating that my speedometer was measuring +5 mph faster than what I was going...and it was a pain in the ass...to not know exactly what I was doing. I said that I found it deplorable that BMW German engineers could measure machine tolerances down to the a gnat's ass...but failed to set a speedometer to measure correct speed. In the meantime to getting a response to that letter, I continued my www research for the better explanation. I came across an article that talked about a dinkbat lady was stopped for speeding in her BMW, got ticketed, and had to pay an enormous fine, but she contended her speedometer was off. So she sued BMW and lo and behold, she won, so BMW decided to recalibrate all speedometers to measure...+5 mph (9-10 km/hr) more than the car was actually going.

And as it happens, the Fed'l DOT didn't have a problem with that since most people do +5 over the speed limit...so with the speedometer measuring high, in fact, the drivers were now DOING THE SPEED LIMIT. Then.. I took my car into the local dealership complaining about how it was "OFF". and when they checked it, they said the voltages and amperages were all within tolerance. Then i got my response form BMW Munich that pushed my letter to BMW North America. BWM NA send me a letter that stated they were aware of this but since the speedometer did not measure speed in excess of what the car was traveling, it was OK.

So..with this little story in your hip pocket, CAN I RESET MY SPEEDOMETER to measure the correct SPEED with this BT tool?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
no.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
The only way you can correct the bias that BMW puts there is to go into the ECU with a correction box and dial it in. If you do a Google search there was a guy with a full write up doing this and willing to sell the correction box to those interested. Other than that you are not going to be able to code your way through making that correction...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
Thanks. . Figured as much. Reminds me of Apple Computers where you have no control over things....b/c "Apple Knows Best !" That said, is the BT Tool worth getting ?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjohnslaughter View Post
That said, is the BT Tool worth getting ?
Yes.