Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Heated Seats Problem

I have a 2006 325i with heated seats. Yesterday when turning the seats on (it always defaults to the highest or "3 lights" setting), the function turned itself off after 10 seconds or so. I tried changing the setting to medium or 2 lights; same result. This happened several times throughout the day. However today the heat worked fine. Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Loose wire, fuse, switch, etc? Has not happened on the passenger side.
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
What condition is your battery in? The module shuts off unnecessary functions or reduces functions when the battery charge is too low.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335 ix
Same thing happened to me yesterday with my steering wheel. A search on this forum showed that others have had the same. recommendations were...

1) do not turn on heater for 10-15 seconds after car starts
2) replace the fuse for the heater.

might work with your seats as well
Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
What condition is your battery in? The module shuts off unnecessary functions or reduces functions when the battery charge is too low.
Great thought. Battery seems to turn over fine although we haven't had much cold weather yet this year. How do I know if my battery is starting to get weak otherwise? Should a battery be replaced after "x" number of years before it goes dead or show signs of weakness as you've mentioned?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
We replaced the battery on the 06/06 build 325i last month. Probably a good idea if you're still on your first battery even if it turns over fine. We didn't notice any issues with the 325i but did it anyway.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastslowly View Post
Great thought. Battery seems to turn over fine although we haven't had much cold weather yet this year. How do I know if my battery is starting to get weak otherwise? Should a battery be replaced after "x" number of years before it goes dead or show signs of weakness as you've mentioned?
Is your clock running slow?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Update: The battery was replaced in 2009; the clock is accurate; and the issue with the heated seats continues although it's sporadic. I will leave the main heat off and wait at least 15 seconds before turning on the seat heater (only the driver's side is problematic). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Perhaps a loose wire or contact or the switch itself?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Problems continue. I think I've narrowed it down to either the switch or the element in the seat. It is only on the driver's side. To reiterate; when I push the heated seat button, the 3 lights go on and within 1-4 seconds the lights turn off; if I again hit the switch, the heating level reduces indicated by 2 lights, however the system turns itself off as well. I will not pay big $$ to have the seat taken apart. Is there a DIY for the switch? Can I take the passenger side switch and swap for the driver's side to isolate if in fact it is a switch? Lastly, any other thoughts? Battery is new, clock runs fine and all other electrical is good.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Problems continue. I think I've narrowed it down to either the switch or the element in the seat. It is only on the driver's side. To reiterate; when I push the heated seat button, the 3 lights go on and within 1-4 seconds the lights turn off; if I again hit the switch, the heating level reduces indicated by 2 lights, however the system turns itself off as well. I will not pay big $$ to have the seat taken apart. Is there a DIY for the switch? Can I take the passenger side switch and swap for the driver's side to isolate if in fact it is a switch? Lastly, any other thoughts? Battery is new, clock runs fine and all other electrical is good.
Did you ever find any answers to this? I'm in the exact same situation with the same exact questions. Would be nice to know if you got anywhere with the repair. Hope to hear from you soon. Gonna need these seats for the upcoming winter!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 PM

heated seat problem

Seems like a fairly common problem. The contact within/inside the seat breaks and renders the heat useless. The only way to repair is to rip apart the seat and fix/replace the contact parts. I decided the $1,000+ estimate I got was not worth it. Also, soon after my power seat (driver side as well) went haywire. It only works when no pressure is on the seat, ie. from a standing position or when I lift my butt up. Only real problem with my 06 325i since I bought it new....at 92k miles and running.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 PM

That's a shame to hear. Would have really liked to use this heated seat for winter. Didn't try anything with the switch then? Or anything else to try and fix it?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Update: The battery was replaced in 2009; the clock is accurate; and the issue with the heated seats continues although it's sporadic. I will leave the main heat off and wait at least 15 seconds before turning on the seat heater (only the driver's side is problematic). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Perhaps a loose wire or contact or the switch itself?
I'd have a look at the system layout to begin, assuming this a DIY request.

Are you familiar with the seat heating electrical system? True to BMW philosophy, and German Engineering, it's much more complicated than we think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelock.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	338676

Dang! Just noticed....this thread last year's news....like, now giving birth?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-25-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Dang! Just noticed....this thread last year's news....like, now giving birth?
Don't feel embarrassed...it was "reopened" as someone did a search on their problem, came across the thread, and asked if there was a resolution (as none was posted).
Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d on the way
An idea

Quote:
Seems like a fairly common problem. The contact within/inside the seat breaks and renders the heat useless. The only way to repair is to rip apart the seat and fix/replace the contact parts. I decided the $1,000+ estimate I got was not worth it. Also, soon after my power seat (driver side as well) went haywire. It only works when no pressure is on the seat, ie. from a standing position or when I lift my butt up. Only real problem with my 06 325i since I bought it new....at 92k miles and running.
How about trying to find a used replacement seat from a salvage yard, etc? Probably a lot cheaper. Not sure how you can test it before buying, but perhaps you can buy it on the condition that all of the electronics work, etc.

BB
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 AM

I may still try just replacing the switch as a cheap solution to an otherwise pretty expensive problem. Better than nothing. I finally have heated seats and I can't use it in Winter!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
I am having the same problem with the driver's seat on my 99 328i e46. The light will not stay on for more than a second when cold. Once I get driving I can get it to stay on. The seat doesn't seem to heat as fast as my 99 323i but does work well once it will stay on. Pass side works great. I have checked multiple forums. Is there no one that has figured this out yet?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
A Digital multimeter would be a good investment and check the plug under the
Seat and see if there is power to the seAt. Also not too difficult to take
The bottom seat cover off. Just need some hog rings and hog ring pliers
Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM

I have the multi meter. There has to be power getting there at least a few minutes after I am driving it because it will cook my rear. Is there a ground or something that is common for having a bad connection? Really weird, seems like once I start driving it will stay on but will not if car is cold and idling. Car starts right up, batt is good.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
How is your battery? In e9x at least, heated seats are considered a convenience feature. The car will disable convenience features such as heated seats, welcome lighting, comfort access, etc to conserve power.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 12-24-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
It's not worth spending big bucks to fix this problem when you can easily add a heated cushion for a couple of winter months. I have used the heating element from these cushions as they include a thermostat and I sew them into a pocket on the back of my motorcycle jackets for days when wind chill is a factor. It might be possble to add a thermostat to your existing heated seat and skip the fancy three level control from BMW which probably cycles the heater at varying rates.

I once disassembled a leather seat from a sports car to make repairs and improve the cushioning. It was a project where hands get cut up and special tools are required. Not fun and certainly not worth it when a separate cushion will fix the problem.

Consider lamb skin for a seat cushion. It's not heated but an excellent insulator.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:39 PM

It turns over fast and starts easily even in the single digit temps we are having. I was wondering if there could be a bad connection somewhere that would make this happen until warm.