Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
Standard 180 Watt radio or Harman Kardon?

I was wondering how the standard sound system is compared to the Harman Kardon upgrade. Has anybody been able to hear the difference? The local dealer doesn't have any X1s yet so I might drive a ways this weekend to test drive. If they have one with the standard sound system and one with the Harman Kardon I'll let you know.
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
I find the standard to be more than adequate. It was either Motor Trend or Car/Driver that said the Harman was not worth the extra money with such a good 'standard' sound system in the X1. I had the Harman in my 2001 325 conv. and did not think it was worth the extra $$
Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi 6MT
I also read the review that said the standard stereo was very good, which is why I was surprised that I really didn't like it. I tested it thoroughly before and during my test drives. The bottom end was too boomy, the mid range lacked a little clarity, the high end was a tad harsh. Perhaps the worst thing for me was the sound stage it produced. I noticed that all the sound seemed to come from an area around my legs. There are door mounted tweeters with the base stereo, but the dash-mounted center speaker of the HK should alleviate the staging issues. I have not heard the HK to verify that it solves these problems, but I ordered it anyway. What I know for sure is that I wouldn't have been happy with the base stereo. Then again, I'm a musician and am pretty picky about sound systems. Your mileage may vary.

Previous:
2013 X1 35 MB/Black/ULT/CW/HK/Lighting/Paddles
2009 335i xDrive Coupe Black/SB MT/SP/PP/CWP/PDC/Logic7/iPod
2004 325iT SB/Black SP/PP/CWP/PDC/HK/Step/Xenon
2006 X3 SG/Black PP/CWP/Xenon
2006 330i SG/Terra MT/SP/PP/HS/CA
2004 330i SG/Black MT/SP/PP/HS (my
2001 325i SG/Black MT/SP/PP/SF/Xenon
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
I heard that HK has subwoofers in the seats. I'd say it depends how picky you are with your music quality. But generally, the stock BMW systems are already better than other car brands. If you spend a lot of time in your car it might be worth it. But listen and compare them, if you can.