Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I'm not a pilot, but I'd imagine it's a bit like comparing flying a P-51 Mustang to a modern F-15 fighter. The latter is full of gadgets, it's crazy fast, and flies itself, while the Mustang is loud, rumbles the seat of your pants, and you feel the movement of every aileron - you feel like you're flying the aircraft rather than being a passenger.
Not a bad metaphor. If you asked me which one I'd want for a x-country drive, it's clearly the 335i. But for zipping around town, the 325Cic definitely wins.
I guess I'm lucky either way. I live in SF now, but when I'm back in Seattle I get to drive one of my friend's two BMWs. Not a bad deal, right?

-James
San Francisco (and occasionally Seattle)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
LOL. Please start one. I'd love to see the responses. For starters, the E46 doesn't need an on-board array of video cameras to back-up or park
Look, if you're going to post here you need to turn off that sig pic; it's cool that you used your Bar Mitzvah money to buy a used car and all, but we who own $50,000 German luxury cars shouldn't be subjected to repeated imagery of a $5,000 junker.

Thanks.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Look, if you're going to post here you need to turn off that sig pic; it's cool that you used your Bar Mitzvah money to buy a used car and all, but we who own $50,000 German luxury cars shouldn't be subjected to repeated imagery of a $5,000 junker.

Thanks.

BJ
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

RF330 - There's no such thing as the perfect car.
Actually, there is. And I happen to own it. Someday you will too.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
Quote:
RF330 -
If you don't want to drive a ~3500 pound car with a 110 inch wheelbase, nothing will adequately replace lower weight and shorter wheelbase.

Have you evaluated the offerings of other brands?
Thanks Joe, you're right that it may just come down to not being able to compromise on the wheelbase, which is a tradeoff b/t comfort and being nimble.

Have not given serious consideration to other brands since I started driving these cars. They have a unique feel but I'm not wed to another one.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Point is, why do E46 owners feel it's their right to come into the F30 forum and crap all over our cars? You yourself, no disrespect, but you aren't ever going to own an F30 either, not sure what you get out of this.
'Cause it's fun. Besides, we're a dying breed. In 8 years when the 3-series is the size of a Bently, you can crap all over their cars

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
I hear you, I noted earlier that I was considering giving the zhp to my son when he starts driving next year and getting me a new one. I may end up doing that if I can't get comfortable with any of the current offerings. Worst case scenario is me envying the car I give to my kid.
You're nice. When my boy is 16 he'll get a beater Honda Accord 4 cylinder with a manual.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
'Cause it's fun. Besides, we're a dying breed. In 8 years when the 3-series is the size of a Bently, you can crap all over their cars
He wants the cars to be that big...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The OP has already answered his own question. He's already driving the perfect BMW for him.

Instead of crapping on the fantastic F30, you should be advising his son to contact Overhaulin' with some sob story about how his wealthy dad needs to feel like a poor man in a cramped antique and see if they can restore his shopworn yuppiemobile back to some semblance of respectability because, sniff-sniff, the F30 is 6 inches too long.

BJ

Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
My rule of thumb is, once they make the car very comfortable for the passengers, it is no longer fun enough for the driver.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
The OP has already answered his own question. He's already driving the perfect BMW for him.

Instead of crapping on the fantastic F30, you should be advising his son to contact Overhaulin' with some sob story about how his wealthy dad needs to feel like a poor man in a cramped antique and see if they can restore his shopworn yuppiemobile back to some semblance of respectability because, sniff-sniff, the F30 is 6 inches too long.

BJ
you know, the first comment about "not being allowed to buy one" I took as a joke. Then the longer this went on it became evident you were taking this personally and I resisted responding. But the last two, cutting up one poster's junk and referring to your "$50K luxury German car" and the latest tirade in quotes, well, just confirms that you're the pompous d*ucheb*g.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
You're nice. When my boy is 16 he'll get a beater Honda Accord 4 cylinder with a manual.
Actually I agree with your choice. Only considered my car because it is getting older and I thought it might make sense to give him a used car that I know has been taken care of.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
you know, the first comment about "not being allowed to buy one" I took as a joke. Then the longer this went on it became evident you were taking this personally and I resisted responding. But the last two, cutting up one poster's junk and referring to your "$50K luxury German car" and the latest tirade in quotes, well, just confirms that you're the pompous d*ucheb*g.
BJ is "rich" and gets quite a rise out of getting people riled up and clearly you've taken the bait. You're lucky that he didn't insinuate that he was going to splash your significant other with cash and a trip to his Maine vacation home to have a three way with him and his trophy wife while his future trust fund kids watched.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Still only joking, sorry you mistook it seriously. tdd and I were having a little fun.

BJ

Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
BJ is "rich" and gets quite a rise out of getting people riled up and clearly you've taken the bait. You're lucky that he didn't insinuate that he was going to splash your significant other with cash and a trip to his Maine vacation home to have a three way with him and his trophy wife while his future trust fund kids watched.
LOL. Not a bad idea.

I skipped the E46, but my mother had a '98. The few times I drove it I can't say it impressed me more than the E90 did.

BJ

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Still only joking, sorry you mistook it seriously. tdd and I were having a little fun.
Glad you just said that BJ b/c I wasn't sure if you were serious. Feeling better now that that's been made clear. Thanks.

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Actually, there is. And I happen to own it. Someday you will too.

BJ
Says the man proud to have owned 4 BMWs in a few years.

If you keep yours indefinitely, then you were right. Otherwise, you are just trying to make yourself feel better about throwing ~$30-40k out the window in the past few years just to drive the latest BMW. That's money you've spent on acquistions, taxes, and depreciation mind you.

But hey, I guess you are NOW, FINALLY, in the perfect car and will never look at another for ownership.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '98 E36 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

If you keep yours indefinitely, then you were right. Otherwise, you are just trying to make yourself feel better about throwing ~$30-40k out the window in the past few years just to drive the latest BMW. That's money you've spent on acquistions, taxes, and depreciation mind you.

But hey, I guess you are NOW, FINALLY, in the perfect car and will never look at another for ownership.
don't mean to jump in this conversation but money is just that. A tool to get the next perfect thing. If you don't borrow and go into debt for it then its all good. Some people spend it on cars some on vacations and other on dancing lessons. Can't take it with you bud.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
don't mean to jump in this conversation but money is just that. A tool to get the next perfect thing. If you don't borrow and go into debt for it then its all good. Some people spend it on cars some on vacations and other on dancing lessons. Can't take it with you bud.
Amen. Some people waste money on drinks at bars, others on big vacations...
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Amen. Some people waste money on drinks at bars, others on big vacations...
a few weeks ago when the Redskins football camp opened they interviewed this guy that came up from Florida to watch practice. Maybe that is not that weird. What was weird to me at least is when he said he does this every year and that is how he spends his yearly vacation.

But hey who are we to argue?

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Point is, why do E46 owners feel it's their right to come into the F30 forum and crap all over our cars? You yourself, no disrespect, but you aren't ever going to own an F30 either, not sure what you get out of this.

BJ
Just slumming it to see how people like yourself live!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:

No, that's not what I meant. The E90 and E93 were far from perfect.

What I'm saying is that the F30 is the perfect car. BMW has just released their Sargent
Pepper. This car is amazing.

BJ

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Every so often, comes the limit o'well meaning poster patience.

Mr. Don Rickles would be proud! BJ's brand demands recognition, and on this day, you have done that well.

Indulging a few degrees of cooling, I'm certain you'll see you've been ribbed by one o'the best....
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Every so often, comes the limit o'well meaning poster patience.

Mr. Don Rickles would be proud! BJ's brand demands recognition, and on this day, you have done that well.

Indulging a few degrees of cooling, I'm certain you'll see you've been ribbed by one o'the best....
Ribbing or not, it was a little over the top for my taste given that I have no history with you guys on this forum section. On top of that, he was getting testy and defensive about us coming here and crapping on his car beforehand, so I had no reason to believe he was just busting b*lls.

Regardless it's over he addressed it, I'm not a little kid and not getting spun up over a forum.

BJ, it's all good, I now know for next time!