Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i, 2009 328i
Ignition Help

ok guys, I need some help before I buy the wrong part AGAIN ! So I got in my 95 525i to start it and nothing happened no lights, no nothing. The dash displayed "key in the ignition", so i was reading online and I saw that it could be the ignition cylinder. So I called my local stealer and got my replacement. Installed it and still nothing, same message "key in the ignition". Did some further research found out it could be the ignition switch. So i got the ignition switch off, used a screw driver to turn the switch and car started with no problem, BUT ! the steering wheel is still locked with the key in the run position. So I took a pair of pliers and turned the steering lock that's inside the ignition lock housing, to unlock the steering wheel. So every time I turn my key the lock that is supposed to turn the ignition switch doesn't turn at all when I turn the key. So do I need to purchase the ignition lock housing or the ignition switch. I don't think its the switch because I can use a screw driver to start the car. Any information would be helpful, when I call the local stealer they act like they don't know. Thanks guys, sorry for the long post.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Yes you need a steering wheel lock assembly , I just did this on my 95 525i last November . The bad part is if you keep starting ur car this way , the ews2 will enable and shut your car down for good cause it will detect a theft like someone is trying to steal ur car . It's easy to replace it . There is a you tube video on it , but its from a e36 but its just the same . When u replace it use Allen bolts rather than the shear of bolts that originally was used in the car . Good luck
Noel

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Haha.. Jeeze I had this problem in June. Dealer had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, steering lock housing. Our cars have EWS2 so you have to do it at the dealer. Be ready to spend 600-700.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Haha.. Jeeze I had this problem in June. Dealer had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, steering lock housing. Our cars have EWS2 so you have to do it at the dealer. Be ready to spend 600-700.
No you don't have to bring it to the dealer , its an easy job , as long as you don't keep starting the car so the ews2 system won't detect a theft .

Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
No you don't have to bring it to the dealer , its an easy job , as long as you don't keep starting the car so the ews2 system won't detect a theft .

I should rephrase. You can only get the lock cylinder from the dealer. You can do everything else at home
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
theres no reason for the EWS to lock you out of the car AS LONG AS YOUR KEY IS STILL IN THE IGNITION. if you knew how the BMW EWS works like i do you would know that. i would rather not post how it works on the internet, but trust me on this. if you try starting it using the screw driver and no key it wont start at all, its not like it will start up and then cut out 5 seconds later etc.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
theres no reason for the EWS to lock you out of the car AS LONG AS YOUR KEY IS STILL IN THE IGNITION. if you knew how the BMW EWS works like i do you would know that. i would rather not post how it works on the internet, but trust me on this. if you try starting it using the screw driver and no key it wont start at all, its not like it will start up and then cut out 5 seconds later etc.
I had the opportunity to familiarize myself with the ews2 system and what a fiasco it was . I know you have to use the key inserted on a dangling antennae ring in order for you to start it . And doing this so many times will lock you out , as my experie
nce . And ended up with a ews2,delete chip stage 1 conforti ... Well to familiar for my taste lol

Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

cool thanks for the info guys, my part came in today. I will be working on replacing the housing this week. I'm a little nervous about the air bag though, don't want it to deploy on me. wish me luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung42 View Post
cool thanks for the info guys, my part came in today. I will be working on replacing the housing this week. I'm a little nervous about the air bag though, don't want it to deploy on me. wish me luck.
Make sure to disconnect your battery prior to disconnecting the air bag or you will get an SRS fault that has to be reset with the SRS tool specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 AM

ok I finally, finally, had time to work on the car. The snap ring was a pain in the a$$ !! to take off and put back on. There was no way I could get that thing back on by myself while trying to Pull the column out at the same time. I finally got it on, then I realized I had bent some of the grooves on the column from my vise grips trying to pull it out. So I had to take a tiny flat head to straighten the groves back out to get the steering wheel on. Got the steering wheel back on after pounding the sh!t out of it. After all the hard work,...............went down the street to test things out and my horn doesn't work and my steering wheel is way off . So now I have to go back and see where I went wrong. I did the proper steps and made my marks before I took the steering wheel off. evidently I am way off.. But any who other than that it was pretty easy for the most part.