Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Dension MP3 player finally working (long)

Today I finally completed my 2-month long installation of the Dension MP3 player. I've been looking for an MP3 hard disk player intended for a car ever since I took delivery. The 2 best choices were PhatBox and Dension DMP3 (I have an iPod, but it does not integrate well and it is not intended for a car player to start with). Anyway I decided to go for Dension - I know there are a lot of PhatBox enthusiasts around, but I personally prefer on-screen selection instead of voice (and the price difference is significant).

I bought the player around New Year (got a $100 discount); it arrived sometime in January. The package is nice - pretty much everything you need (including the computer cradle and the separate power adapter). The sound quality when played on my home system is impressive despite the not-so-good specs. I got the BMW package, so it came with all adapters necessary, and I also got a satelite display so I can have it trunc-mounted. It plugs in the CD-changer wiring, but requires an additional +12V (the hard disk needs more power than what is provided for the changer).

Eventually I used a professional installer (StreetEffectz - really nice job) - and that was back in January. It worked exactly for 5 min - and then the hard disk gave up on me (on my way home from the installer). I knew the disk was quirky - it was an old one I had laying around. So I bought a new drive - 5400 rpm 40 GB Seagate. Then I figured with the temperature around in the 20s and 30s - way below the disk specs - I better wait (I presume the trunc is not really heated). Eventually I remembered yesterday, and now I have it working. I have the satelite display in the ash-tray (perfect fit) and it is completely hidden when you close the door.

The player is recognized by the head as a CD changer - the steering wheel controls work (incl. skipping song forward and back). Also, you can click on any of the buttons for CD 1-6 and get a pre-selected album (the trick is - it's played in random order). The player also has a great function called "my radio" - where you can select a huge number of songs which are played randomly. I have several such selections (one of which is all the music on the drive). I still haven't used it long enough, but so far it is great. I'll post some pics when I get around to it.
Advertisement