Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 E53 2002 - Problems after replacing air suspensions/Self level inactive

few weeks ago, I had self level inactive message. Even with this error message, I did not feel the ride bumpy and also height between all 4 tyre and body was equal.
I took my car to BMW garage and had computer diagnostics run. They identified a faulty sensor on front driver side, and quoted $300 to replace. I agreed for this and asked them to replace. After few hours I got call from garage mechanic explaining the air suspension on front driver side got blown up. I went and saw badly torn up air suspension bellow (airbag). Again they quoted some 2695 for Air suspension unit (complete air suspension struts) + EHC control unit.

2 days after this, front passenger side got lowered. I took it to the same dealer again. They examined and said there is an air leak and quoted $1345 to replace. As I had no choice I accepted.

Now I am getting the Self Level inactive message again and also loud noise from engine when I start it.

I felt a bit cheated here. Now I got doubts about this dealer,
  1. Is it possible to blow out air suspension on purpose? As it is like a tyre if you pump excess air it might get explode.
  2. is it very normal if one air suspension blows up other one on same side also got blow up?
  3. Does any one cheated by BMW authorized garage?
  4. I really got confused now, wether to go back to same garage or not.

Pls give me some suggestions. I am really confused.
Ads by Google
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
sounds fishy
my Self level inactive light has been on for over 10,000 kms and the ride is perfect, even if i load the vehicle it levels off

if they wer trying to screw u my thoughts are that they could have while they wer changing the sensor, left the vehicle running, and disconected the arm, then rotated the sensor to the point wer it needs to inflate the bag>overinflate and pop the bag...

i work on trucks and semi truck airbags rarely pop and they only hold 20-50psi, i have seen them pop from overpressure/overload and from the acetyline torch applying indirect heat
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks for reply.

Nightmare continued, I took it back today to show the self level in active message which I got it yesterday. Now they are saying, compressor got over heated as one of the air bag had leak. But fact is, I had the air bag leak for one day, I might have driven the car for 15 kms.

They are quoting $1000 + for air compressor change.

What a rip off.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 AM

air compressor on ecs, go to the wrecker and get a used one, get an indy to install it, but if u focus u can do it yourself
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 AM

HI Gurjit,

Thanks for your reply. I have another doubt. Regarding compressor, is there any way pressure on this compressor can be checked? I mean if this mechanic made hole in any of the supply hoses to the reservoirs, the new compressor may not help right.

I don't where the relay/sensor for the compressor is located or if it is the same sensor at air suspension that feeds the compressor defect signal to onboard computer? If second part of my argument is correct then, hole on hose/ air supply pipe to the air suspension could be read as defective compressor.

Pls throw some light on this

Thanks in advance
Kishore
Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 AM

there should b a way to directly connect 12V to the compressor, if u could somehow make your own discharge line u could get a random air-tank to conect it to (an old air-tank from any scrap metal semi truck will work), then just get a cheap pressure gauge, just find out what the compressor max pressure/running pressure is and build it up to that... if it builds to that psi in the right amount of time the compressor must b OK
Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Hi Now I have changed compressor myself, but Self Level inactive message has not gone. Do you think, I need to get this error reset?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 PM

my x5 has had the self level inactiv ever since i bought it, last owner showed my a reciept of compressor change from BMW last year for 1200$, light stays on the hieght switch doesnt work, but it does self level properly and effectivly, i will get the code read soon but im too busy