Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: m3 , 325ci , X5
X5

Hi all, i have a 2003 X5 3.0 engine, my battery goes dead whenever i park my truck for 2 days, i have change my battery and alternator just about a month ago. My mechanic said that the small fan on my temperature control keeps on going although the car is already off so i took it out and park it for 3 days. Still, my battery is dead, im sure something is eating up my battery and this has been going on since i got the truck. Please help.

By the way, if i just keep using my suv everyday, there is no problem, it starts everytime. Its only when i leave it park for 2 days.
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
take the battery and get it load tested first, if its ok---> re-install and check the alternator voltage, 13.4-14.5 is ok----> then after u turn off ur ride, hook up a ampmeter to the positive side of battery, preferibly 1 with a fuse so u can replace the fuse if it blows, c how much amperage it draws-----> remove the fuses 1 by one and c which curcuit is actualy draining ur battery
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 AM

thanks for you advise, this has been all done by the battery shop and my mechanic, there is one fuse that my mechanic said that if i should leave the car park for a period of time, then i should take this fuse out, i can do that but with all the hazzle of doing this all the time when i leave the car park for even on the weekend, i rather have the actual problem fix. Do i get you right that if i remove each fuse, i can see whats actually draining my battery? thanks again.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2convertibles View Post
thanks for you advise, this has been all done by the battery shop and my mechanic, there is one fuse that my mechanic said that if i should leave the car park for a period of time, then i should take this fuse out, i can do that but with all the hazzle of doing this all the time when i leave the car park for even on the weekend, i rather have the actual problem fix. Do i get you right that if i remove each fuse, i can see whats actually draining my battery? thanks again.
The idea is the amp meter will show some level of current draw. Presumably an amount sufficient to deplete the battery within a few days. By removing the fuses one by one you should be able to observe a drop in current draw when you remove the fuse of the circuit which is drawing the battery draining current. You can then focus troubleshooting efforts on that circuit.

Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules regarding current draw. In a properly functioning X5 there is always going to be some current draw when the vehicle is off and even less once it goes "asleep". What that amount is I don't know. Perhaps someone without the problem can measure it and provide those numbers (assuming a comparably equipped X5).

Likewise how much current each circuit should draw in the off/asleep state will also vary. Thus my recommendation is to look for the circuit with the largest current draw (as evidenced by the current draw decreasing when the fuse is removed) and investigate for problems there. If nothing is found out of the ordinary look to the next largest decrease. Perhaps start with the circuit for the fuse your mechanic recommends you remove.

Good luck!

Last edited by sunny5280; 08-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
Thumbs up

thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
The idea is the amp meter will show some level of current draw. Presumably an amount sufficient to deplete the battery within a few days. By removing the fuses one by one you should be able to observe a drop in current draw when you remove the fuse of the circuit which is drawing the battery draining current. You can then focus troubleshooting efforts on that circuit.

Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules regarding current draw. In a properly functioning X5 there is always going to be some current draw when the vehicle is off and even less once it goes "asleep". What that amount is I don't know. Perhaps someone without the problem can measure it and provide those numbers (assuming a comparably equipped X5).

Likewise how much current each circuit should draw in the off/asleep state will also vary. Thus my recommendation is to look for the circuit with the largest current draw (as evidenced by the current draw decreasing when the fuse is removed) and investigate for problems there. If nothing is found out of the ordinary look to the next largest decrease. Perhaps start with the circuit for the fuse your mechanic recommends you remove.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 AM

hi again, thank you both for your help, unfortunately, i did not see your posts yesterday and its saturday today. i will show my mechanic what we have discussed in here so it will kinda help him too to see if he has not done this one yet, ill keep you guys posted. thanks again.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
The X5 is designed to go into sleep mode after 15 - 20 minutes provided nothing is drawing more than around 38mA. Usually the LED on the shifter goes out once sleep has been entered. If the vehicle is prevented from going into the sleep mode then all the modules remain active and will draw down the battery in a few hours.
The fan you hear: Is it the heater/AC blower fan that fails to turn off after you switch the vehicle off? If so then go to xoutpost and do a search on FSR or FSU replacement. If not the blower is it one/both ofthe small fans behind the two "grills" on the HVAC head unit. These are the cabin sensors for the HVAC and should switch off. If not then you may need the head unit repaired.
GL.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM

thank you for your advised, i will show all the replies to my mechanic this tuesday, im sure this will be a lot of help to him in figuring out what the problem is. I took out all the connection of the temperature control unit and left the car park for 3 days, but it still wont start and the battery is all drained up. He mentioned that he might bypass something (not sure what it is) that will completely shut down everything and will just come on when i start the engine, you think this is a wise decision? He did it with my clk when the motor switch on the drivers side is always on and draining up my battery, until I sold the car, it was still doing the job. Thanks again for your help.