Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S Clubman
whats the real story with the rear mounted bike rack?

My X1 order has been for about a week - very excited!

My question is I can't seem to get a definitive answer about the rear mounted bike rack that attaches to the bumper. My advisor says that its not available in the US at all. Can anyone else confirm this who's in the US. Also since I'm kind of OCD I went to dealership yesterday and looked at an x1 and I noticed that while it appears the plastic ports for the actual rack are there to take off and the bike rack to attach too, there wasn't a power outlet underneath the bumper as I've seen in all the pictures of people with the rear mounted bike rack.

Anyway I'm just trying to get the straight answer as to what is actually possible.

Here is the bike rack I actually want for the X1.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334355

Thanks for the help
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: pending...
I ordered the factory roof racks, which my dealer confirmed are available... don't know about any of the accessories or the bike rack, but it's promising that there's anything available at all
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
I have a very similar Thule rack located here with 4 total bikes:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...itch/917XTR-T2

Works great with reciever hitch on my X3.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM

thanks x3Brian - the thing about the BMW one is that it doesn't require the hitch. It screws right into the bumper. Mini has a similar one for the country man. The thing is you can repurpose them because they fit the specific width of the bumper for each model
Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 PM

I get that but I don't foresee the US DOT approving a simple single screw in bike rack without backup redundancy (ie receiver hitch and cotter pin). I could be wrong but we have lots of regs that aren't in Europe.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I get that but I don't foresee the US DOT approving a simple single screw in bike rack without backup redundancy (ie receiver hitch and cotter pin). I could be wrong but we have lots of regs that aren't in Europe.
Well they have - my wife has it on her countryman. The model does have backup lights on it and its a dual mount two screw in's with locking.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 PM

I hear you. Thule sells about 10 versions in Europe but none in the US. I tried hard but couldnt find one US retailer Here is the Thule Denmark site:

http://www.thule.com/en/DK/Products/...arriers/Towbar

If your wife has one already for the Clubman there is no reason it won't work for the x1 tow hook unless it requires two points of screw in. US spec BMWs to my knowledge (back to e39) only have one.