Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Where can I get parts
Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3
cleaning rear sunroof drains

Had the water in the rear storage area problem mentioned on this site and checked the sunroof for leaks and found the water was coming inside the headliner from the rear of the sunroof. Found the drain tube inside but could not see how to get to the rear drains from the outside, finally I cut the tube and blew it out and it now drains fine. Question is how do I keep the tube clear, what do other do (and how) to vacuum the tracks and keep debris out of them which will also hopefully prevent the sunroof operational problems mentioned.
Also now that the drain is clear will it stop leaking inside the car or is there some other problem that needs attention also?
2007 X3.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfigs View Post
... Found the drain tube inside but could not see how to get to the rear drains from the outside, finally I cut the tube and blew it out and it now drains fine. Question is how do I keep the tube clear, what do other do (and how) to vacuum the tracks and keep debris out of them which will also hopefully prevent the sunroof operational problems mentioned...
That's about it: keeping the roof cassette gutters clear of debris as much as possible should keep the lines clear. Vacuum and/or wipe (with a damp rag) the gutter when you wash the vehicle.

The rear outlets for the drains seem to be something of a mystery that BMW closely guards... If you ever find them, let the rest of us know where they are...

A word of caution about blowing out those lines: using too much pressure (e.g., shop air) can rupture them down inside the bowels of the vehicle, leading to water leaks somewhere else. Just be careful. One forum member suggests using some nylon line from a 'weed whacker,' and snaking it down through the drain holes to dislodge any trapped debris. And you cut the drain line...?

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Cut the drain line !!

Yes I cut the drain line, it runs down the inside of the rear panel and then goes into a rubber fitting that goes behind the rear fender, unfortunately it is glued into the fitting so I could not pull the plastic pipe out. As I could not get to the rear drains at the top (underneath the sunroof) or from the bottom (behind the fender) I drilled a small hole in the tube and tried to run the weedwacker wire up to clear the blockage but it kept hitting something before it got to the actual drain, looking at the plastic tubing it is about the same size as flex irrigation tubing so I decided to cut the tube with a flex tube cutter and then I blew out the blockage by just blowing up the tube. The repair is just a straight piece of plastic hose as there is no pressure in the tube and I can pull it apart to blow it out again if I need to.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfigs View Post
Yes I cut the drain line, it runs down the inside of the rear panel and then goes into a rubber fitting that goes behind the rear fender, unfortunately it is glued into the fitting so I could not pull the plastic pipe out. As I could not get to the rear drains at the top (underneath the sunroof) or from the bottom (behind the fender) I drilled a small hole in the tube and tried to run the weedwacker wire up to clear the blockage but it kept hitting something before it got to the actual drain, looking at the plastic tubing it is about the same size as flex irrigation tubing so I decided to cut the tube with a flex tube cutter and then I blew out the blockage by just blowing up the tube. The repair is just a straight piece of plastic hose as there is no pressure in the tube and I can pull it apart to blow it out again if I need to.
Interesting. Well, sounds like you've got it in hand, then.

Where exactly is the rear fender outlet in relation to something obvious/easily identifiable on the vehicle?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM

On the right the tube is behind the rearmost removable panel, it is a black plastic tube and it is easy to see where it goes into the rubber fitting that goes behind the fender. I did not get underneath to try to find the exit point.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I decided to revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm reading the latest issue of the BMWCCA Roundel (8/12). In Mike Miller's Tech Talk column someone asked about sunroof lube and he recommended Wurth True Glide to be applied with a flux brush.

Here's a link for Bavarian AutoSport. It shows up in the list on the left under interior:sunroof cables & seals. (I can't seem to create a link directly to the page with the part.)

Has anyone used this? I plan to order it, but I'm wondering if I'm the first?

Last edited by spokelizard; 08-17-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
LBlacker

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
My sunroof works if just opening/closing, but if I press to tilt, that's when the whole sunrrom stops working, and must be closed manually. I just bought my x3 (2004) with this problem. If I continue to just open/close vs tilting, will I be ok?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Blacker View Post
My sunroof works if just opening/closing, but if I press to tilt, that's when the whole sunrrom stops working, and must be closed manually. I just bought my x3 (2004) with this problem. If I continue to just open/close vs tilting, will I be ok?
I believe the mechanism to open/close vs. vent (tilt) is different, so it's conceivable to continue using the operable function. But where these panorama roofs are concerned, it seems like just a matter of time before one or both functions fail...

On a related but somewhat separate topic: when I vent my roof with the interior shade closed, and the interior shade separates in the middle to allow the ventilation, I get an unpleasantly loud 'popping' noise from the front of the shade, like something is sticking. It seems to happen pretty frequently, particularly when the roof has been warmed in the sun, and I'm concerned that something in the shade mechanism may be binding (although a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious). The roof itself works fine; this is just the shade making the unpleasant noise. And the shade seems to open/close quietly.

Anybody have any ideas/suggests on things to check? The dealer hasn't been a lot of help here, despite lightly 'tinkering' with (i.e., lubricating) the roof just prior to the expiration of the warranty in July 2011. I went back to them with this issue a few months ago, but their solution was a polite offer to charge me an indeterminate amount of labor to poke around their handiwork in an effort to [hopefully] isolate the cause. I can do that myself, but would appreciate suggestions on a few specific places to look. And who knows? Maybe I can even repair it myself if it's just something misaligned...?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
I would assume that the summer heat and sun simply bake out the large number of plastic parts over time. Since many of us keep the sun shield closed during the hotest part of the summer, this will simply accelerate time to failure. I just make sure ours never gets used.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
I would assume that the summer heat and sun simply bake out the large number of plastic parts over time. Since many of us keep the sun shield closed during the hotest part of the summer, this will simply accelerate time to failure. I just make sure ours never gets used.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind; but this vehicle spends the bulk of its time, these days, parked inside of a garage. Not a lot of opportunities for the sun (UV rays) to bake things, so it seems temperature-related (uneven expansion of something)...

Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind; but this vehicle spends the bulk of its time, these days, parked inside of a garage. Not a lot of opportunities for the sun (UV rays) to bake things, so it seems temperature-related (uneven expansion of something)...
Mine makes more noise going through the motions of opening the center vent than it does just sliding. But it's always been the same since it rolled off the truck.

I'm with you on keeping it inside. I never understand keeping ones garage full of junk and parking a $45,000.00 car out in the elements. Mine stays indoors unless it's being used. Which is especially important here in Florida. But then again my garage is 24' wide and 30' long so I can keep junk, cars, garden tiller, lawn tractor, wood working tools and a 4x6 utility trailer in mine and still walk around everything.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3 2.5
Bmw should issue a recall

Quote:
out of all the items BMW should issue a RECALL ON-- the Panoramic Sunroof should be a PRIORITY!! It disturbs me that such a reputable, german - engineered vehicle could be SOOOOOOOO FAULTY!!!!! (even though it's a luxury)--- LUXURY BMW's shouldn't be SOOO Faulty on this!!!
It's pisses me off to the tenth degree that they haven't issued a recall on these panoramic sunroofs that are faulty, on mainly "plastics" that are CHEAPLY made.
Very dissappointed.
I wish I could open my sunroof....

Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Mine makes more noise going through the motions of opening the center vent than it does just sliding...
I presume you're speaking about the shade...? If so, this sounds like what mine is doing as well.

It really makes a sharp 'popping' noise sometimes, like something was binding then suddenly let go, when mine separates in the middle to vent. But the thing just keeps working like it should; the noise sounds pretty awful most times, like something snapped or broke -- but it continues to function properly...

I wish there was an easy way to watch what's going on with the shade mechanism during this operation; it's pretty tough to see down behind those heavily-tinted roof panels when they're closed...

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
My vent just broke also... Does anyone know how to fix it? I found a great writeup on the window regulator.. Hoping there would be something on the sunroof as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
This thread just reminded me of how lucky I am to have an X3 without the sunroof.

Memo to new car buyers: think carefully before buying a vehicle with a sunroof (moonroof). This includes all makes and models, not just the BMW X3.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
This thread just reminded me of how lucky I am to have an X3 without the sunroof.

Memo to new car buyers: think carefully before buying a vehicle with a sunroof (moonroof). This includes all makes and models, not just the BMW X3.

BMW should be getting the message that some parts should be made out of metal and not plastic. That compartment is literally like an oven with the sunshade closed. Mine works fine and I like it but I never use the vent portion.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
Quote:
I have a similar strategy, mine works fine for full open/close, the last time I tried to use vent I had issues but was lucky to get it eventually closed myself using just the buttons, then learned about the history of issues the sunroof has, and have been scared to vent ever since. I rarely use it full open/close either now, but do on occasion as I never heard of one having the fatal break happen unless you play with the vent position. I will start to keep the sunshade open, even in the Summer, and just deal with a hotter car when I enter it if that is a theory to increase the life of the sunroof.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
BMW should be getting the message that some parts should be made out of metal and not plastic. That compartment is literally like an oven with the sunshade closed. Mine works fine and I like it but I never use the vent portion.
Could you clarify what is the "vent portion"?

When I press the switch, the sunroof opens about 2/3 of the way. When I press a second time, it opens the remaining 1/3.

Is the "vent" that last 1/3? Are you suggesting that I can prolong sunroof life by only opening the roof the first 2/3?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Both glass panels should "tilt" if you push the button. (also known as the "vent"position).
It should open to the comfort position if you slide the Button backwards once, it should open completely if you slide a second time. All these is in the manual.
There's no way to prolong the life of the sunroof that I know, I just use it regularly, it works perfect every time.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 09-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I will never buy another vehicle with a panoramic roof that operates like the one in our X3. My wife has a pano roof in her MCS (same company) and hers never has all the problems ours has.

My biggest beef is the oscillation that is created at speeds over 70 mph. The glass either rattles so much you wait for it to shatter or the other fun one is when it creates a vacuum pressure that hurts your ears unless you crack another window. I could do a 100 mph plus in any of my other cars: Porsche, RX-7, GTI rabbitt, etc..... and NEVER did they make all the fuss the pano in the X3 makes. It becomes pretty much unusable at highway speeds.

They dont need a recall they need a design change. Of course it does the same thing in the new X3, I checked.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I will never buy another vehicle with a panoramic roof that operates like the one in our X3. My wife has a pano roof in her MCS (same company) and hers never has all the problems ours has.

My biggest beef is the oscillation that is created at speeds over 70 mph. The glass either rattles so much you wait for it to shatter or the other fun one is when it creates a vacuum pressure that hurts your ears unless you crack another window. I could do a 100 mph plus in any of my other cars: Porsche, RX-7, GTI rabbitt, etc..... and NEVER did they make all the fuss the pano in the X3 makes. It becomes pretty much unusable at highway speeds.

They dont need a recall they need a design change. Of course it does the same thing in the new X3, I checked.
Have you tried applying felt pads to the open/close points to reduce rattle? I did this on mine, and I never have a rattle on the highway (knock on wood) I saw a post somewhere on here with pdf instructions on applying the felt pads.

On another note;
I started to notice my pano roof starting to leak on the rear. I should've taken a picture when I saw it and will next time. Its clearly a seal/drain issue but the roof works flawlessly.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

I have the same issue with ours it works fine, but the only time we ever really use it is like stuck in traffic on a nice day or something, anything above 50 mph and the glass rattling against itself is loud and the vacuum it creates in the interior is annoying
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Ok, in summary for those new to this post, do not express surprise that a "german" vehicle would have such a poorly designed sunroof. It is, it always has been and the best advice is DO NOT OPERATE BMW SUNROOF if you are out of warranty. Plain and simple.

This problem has existed since the 1990's as I had a E39 that went through this same series of discussions way back then. It is rather odd that the exact same problem exists 10-15 years later and that same failures and causes continue to exist. How about some aluminum fingers that lift the roof, is that to much to ask?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: x3
sunroof comes off on expressway

While driving my x3 on the expressway the sunroof glass panel came out and struck another car. Has this happened to anyone else? It is a 2005 BMW x3. Had not noticed any problem with front pane.