Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Why didn't somebody mention why NOT to reset your transmish

OK, so a couple weeks ago I got the bright idea I would reset my transmission software via the turn key to x position, put gas pedal to the floor count to x. Well it seemed to work HOWEVER it also cleared out the updates to the software apparently. I had an update done to address the holding of a lower gear too long issue. Guess what, it is now back and I attribute this to the reset.

This is the last time I'll ever pull that trick. I just thought that some of the others here might need to be forewarned!
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Highly doubtful since it doesn't really change the software.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: x3
i thought the transmission reset only reseted all of the data the computer learned from your driving style

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
OK, so a couple weeks ago I got the bright idea I would reset my transmission software via the turn key to x position, put gas pedal to the floor count to x. Well it seemed to work HOWEVER it also cleared out the updates to the software apparently. I had an update done to address the holding of a lower gear too long issue. Guess what, it is now back and I attribute this to the reset.

This is the last time I'll ever pull that trick. I just thought that some of the others here might need to be forewarned!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
I agree that the firmware update is required to get rid of the first gear dragging effect but since mine was done this has gone away despite me doing the throttle thingy a couple of times. But that said, the throttle thingy may not actually touch the transmission but actually reset the throttle adaption from my reading.