Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Uncle!!! Need good frnt brake pad/disk combo. Been reading for hours. Too many links.

Need to replace front brakes on my 530i with Sport Package. Sensor has not tripped yet but may soon (had pads checked at two separate places with same conclusion). Also beginning to feel just a hair mushy (brake fluid may have moisture in it).

Just when I thought I narrowed things down I find a gazillion part numbers for the same brand brake pads. . Was looking at Akebono EURO. Now leaning toward the Hawk HPS (but not sure about dust with these).

I like the Hawk HPS but even they have five or so part numbers that fit my vehicle. I've searched this forum, Google, and so forth. I read through the "Best Links". I surrender!!! I give!!! Uncle!!!

Priorities/best place to purchase:

Pad - stopping (bite), dust reduction, cost.

Rotor - anti-corrosion coated, cost, wear. Think plain face rotor will due. Thinking Balo, Brembo, or Zimmerman.

BTW The steep hills in Seattle require a lot of breaking where I live on my way to work. I am a "Highlander" .

So please do not say "Do a search". I am all searched out.

Would be nice to have a ONE POST thread with pads and rotors rated as well as best place(s) to buy. Current threads have numerous posts with links-a-million.

Would be great to consolidate those into a "Top 3 (or 5) recommended pads (with part number) followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended rotors (with part number)" and "Top 3 (or 5) places to buy pads" followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended places to buy rotors".

Just a wish. Not a requirement. .

Thank you for your recommendations .

Last edited by seemyad; 09-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Ads by Google