Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
USAF RET.

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128I COUPE - RED
2012 128i 1st SERVICE

I've run several searches, and found nothing. My question is, does anybody know why BMW dropped the 1200 mile service on the 2012 128i, and doesn't show needing a service until 15kmiles?
Ads by Google
Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
The timing coincides with when BMW starting paying for service work they required. They also changed to synthetic oil about then too, however. Mike Miller discusses this in his old school maintenance guide. I decided it was worthwhile and changed it myself about then.

Jim
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
JimD is correct...it is or was all about extending service intervals so that the paid for services were just less. Can the car take that? Probably so, as its warranted for it, and its their selling point re: no maintenance. And the forums are divided on it. Some say no problem, others favor the early changes. I am in the latter camp. I changed mine in 1st 1000 and paid for it myself...and then get the yearly free. Waiting 15K is in my old school mind silly--as some would say the same for paying to to have it done. My retort is: if you can afford the car then you can afford more oil changes. No matter how well its put together, getting break in oil out early is favorable. Maybe its in my mind, but then, even if it is--it works better for me--as I like to the IDEA that ANY swarf that was in their from even the best of builds is basically gone. Good luck on your choice tho; but I like the maintenance and love clean oil.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Hmmm. My first BMW was a '97 Z3 which had 3 yr/36k miles covered service - and an average oil change interval of 7,500 miles with conventional OEM oil.

When BMW introduced synthetic oil with the 1999 US models, the average OCI increased to 15k miles.

So the assertion that longer recommended maintenance intervals coincided with "free" service is not corrrect. They accompanied the switch to synthetic oil.

And there was never a 1,200 mile break-in service on non M models.

Tom
Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Here's my theory, FWIW. No question synthetics have lengthened the time required between servicing, but 15k is absurdly long, especially for hot, high performance turbo motors. But it really does not matter - with exponentially more complicated systems and components surrounding the motor, as well as the cheapening of same components to shave costs, weight, etc. (think crappy cooling systems) in a global marketplace, a modern BMW reaches the point of economical obsolescence well before motor itself is worn out. Even with infrequent oil changes, the motor may last for 150k/7 years or so, but by that time everything else on the car has either failed or is in imminent danger of failure, and the costs to maintain have become far higher than the value of the car itself. BMWs are no longer designed to last for 2-300k miles if well maintained. They are designed to get past the warranty period at minimal cost to BMW, and when the warranty is over there is a newfangled, latest & greatest new model ready for sale to replace it.

The only benefit to an "old school" maintenace approach for a modern BMW is that it will greatly help an owner trying to sell a low mileage used car to a private party who is an enthusiast that understands and values this approach. Then you stand a better chance of getting a good price premium vs. trading it in at the dealer.

Last edited by damyankee; 12-08-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
Early Oil Change

What, please, might an oil change cost me ?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioeddie View Post
What, please, might an oil change cost me ?
My dealer usually charges around $110, although I can often get a promotional coupon for $80.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 12-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
Oil Change

Within the zone of reasonableness. Thank you.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
Here's my theory, FWIW. No question synthetics have lengthened the time required between servicing, but 15k is absurdly long, especially for hot, high performance turbo motors. But it really does not matter - with exponentially more complicated systems and components surrounding the motor, as well as the cheapening of same components to shave costs, weight, etc. (think crappy cooling systems) in a global marketplace, a modern BMW reaches the point of economical obsolescence well before motor itself is worn out. Even with infrequent oil changes, the motor may last for 150k/7 years or so, but by that time everything else on the car has either failed or is in imminent danger of failure, and the costs to maintain have become far higher than the value of the car itself. BMWs are no longer designed to last for 2-300k miles if well maintained. They are designed to get past the warranty period at minimal cost to BMW, and when the warranty is over there is a newfangled, latest & greatest new model ready for sale to replace it.

The only benefit to an "old school" maintenace approach for a modern BMW is that it will greatly help an owner trying to sell a low mileage used car to a private party who is an enthusiast that understands and values this approach. Then you stand a better chance of getting a good price premium vs. trading it in at the dealer.
Since I totally agree with you you must be right!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
another great thread here
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post

hmmm good post here.will have to write this down