Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: X5
650xi GC--test drive

I test drove a reasonably loaded GC 650xi today (MSRP $107k). My current drive is a '11 550xi M-sport, so my perspective is based on this car

1) Build Quality: phenomenal: Has the "look" of hand craftsmanship throughout the cabin with lots of leather and stitching apparent. The Alcantara roof liner adds a touch of luxury. The ride was quiet with no squeaks or rattles.

2) Exterior Styling: The car has a huge (read glamorous) road presence. The length of the car is deceptively long..much more in person than in pictures. The M-Sport package and the full LEDs are a must on this car, imo

3) Interior layout: Very cozy..you sit lower than in a 5 series. The electronic shifter is slightly different than in the 5. The cigarette adaptor is further away from the cup holders and closer to the arm rest (which poses a problem for radar detectors, but much more convenient if used for phone charging, as it is housed in a bucket compartment in order to fit the phone in) Rear room is comfortable for seating, but there is no way to seat 3 people in the back as the center console comes all the way to the seats.
In general, I am not a fan of the NAV screen layout in the 6 as compared to the 5. It looks like an aftermarket add-on, due to the way it sits

4) Performance: Definitely more torque and power than my 5. The one area of disappointment is braking. It felt noticeably mushier than my 5..It is, without a doubt, the worst brakes I have felt in a BMW

Other nuances:

1) lack of soft close doors in the model.

2) This car did not have the Driver Assistance Package, but it did have the HUD option. I did not see a multi-color display as I had seen in the photos. The primary color indicator is white (beige) as opposed to my 5-series, which is orange.

3) Options sheet mentioned Enhanced BLuetooth Connectivity. When I paired my iphone 4s, it paired successfully and with ease; however, it displayed a message "the only functions available for this phone is telephone and audio". So not sure if the calendar and email/messaging feature has been ported over to the iphone models in this version of the BT

4) B&O is a nice option. However, the plethora of settings within the Equalizer is overwhelming for all but true audiophiles.

4) Not having idrive Professional in this car until March 2013 is also a disappointment.

I will be waiting until my dealer gets their M5s and M6s in, and will look more carefully in a comparison, in order to see which one fulfills my criteria the best
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X54.8 04X54.4 00E46CiC
I didnt know they had arrived. Thanks!!
2001 X5 4.4, Ret.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezF View Post
I test drove a reasonably loaded GC 650xi today (MSRP $107k). My current drive is a '11 550xi M-sport, so my perspective is based on this car

1) Build Quality: phenomenal: Has the "look" of hand craftsmanship throughout the cabin with lots of leather and stitching apparent. The Alcantara roof liner adds a touch of luxury. The ride was quiet with no squeaks or rattles.

2) Exterior Styling: The car has a huge (read glamorous) road presence. The length of the car is deceptively long..much more in person than in pictures. The M-Sport package and the full LEDs are a must on this car, imo

3) Interior layout: Very cozy..you sit lower than in a 5 series. The electronic shifter is slightly different than in the 5. The cigarette adaptor is further away from the cup holders and closer to the arm rest (which poses a problem for radar detectors, but much more convenient if used for phone charging, as it is housed in a bucket compartment in order to fit the phone in) Rear room is comfortable for seating, but there is no way to seat 3 people in the back as the center console comes all the way to the seats.
In general, I am not a fan of the NAV screen layout in the 6 as compared to the 5. It looks like an aftermarket add-on, due to the way it sits

4) Performance: Definitely more torque and power than my 5. The one area of disappointment is braking. It felt noticeably mushier than my 5..It is, without a doubt, the worst brakes I have felt in a BMW

Other nuances:

2) This car did not have the Driver Assistance Package, but it did have the HUD option. I did not see a multi-color display as I had seen in the photos. The primary color indicator is white (beige) as opposed to my 5-series, which is orange.

3) Options sheet mentioned Enhanced BLuetooth Connectivity. When I paired my iphone 4s, it paired successfully and with ease; however, it displayed a message "the only functions available for this phone is telephone and audio". So not sure if the calendar and email/messaging feature has been ported over to the iphone models in this version of the BT

4) B&O is a nice option. However, the plethora of settings within the Equalizer is overwhelming for all but true audiophiles.

4) Not having idrive Professional in this car until March 2013 is also a disappointment.

I will be waiting until my dealer gets their M5s and M6s in, and will look more carefully in a comparison, in order to see which one fulfills my criteria the best
Was this vehicle at Passport BMW?.. If so I know the car you are talking about.. Lovely Automobile..
Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
lhollis3

Mein Auto: 540I
RezF,
A couple of notes. The HUD is color and is white in the daytime when the lights aren't on and orange at night. Leave the doors open to the car or don't put your seatbelt on while looking at the HUD and you will notice this. I have an android phone and have no issues with connectivity. Just a note from a 640 GC owner.

Lawrence
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezF View Post

Other nuances:

The M5 cabin can be pretty nice if you trim it out with full leather, or even better a full Individual interior. Wait till I post pics of mine. It will be unique and stunning.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 640i
Still no BMW interior can come close to the one in the new 6 series. That 2 tone leather is just out of this world.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Thanks for the write up.

I'm on the fence about trading my car in and leasing the new 6er until the new 7er comes out. The 6er, in my option, is the best looking BMW out right and it's a car you know will look good for years to come.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: X6M
So, soft close doors aren't available at all?

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: F06 650i/E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
So, soft close doors aren't available at all?
Well.... Soft close doors are standard for 650i GC. But then, I am in Hong Kong