Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ELEVEN View Post
Sirstopher, You bring up a very good point. although the transmission of light is broken none of the modules power down. The sound and everything will stop, seeming like they are shutdown but the system is just not communicating. I briefly reread the pdf I attached again and found nothing about disconnecting the ring for a reset. In fact in my reading I don't seem to remember anyone ever saying that by disconnecting the ring their system began to work properly again.

There is a section in the pdf titled "Ring Break Test" in which they it says to disconnect the battery for 45 seconds to allow all capacitors in the modules to power down. After the reconnecting the battery the modules will power back up and there is node number 0 stored in the module that didn't receive a transmission from the previous module. I believe using DIS you can determine which module is faulty based on the node numbers stored. See the example on page 17 of the pdf. I tried to do this before I bypassed all my modules using a spare jumper but I only had INPA and I was never able to see any numbers stored in the modules.

***DISCLAIMER*** I did not read every post on the MOST issue so someone may have seen success in disconnecting the jumper, and there may be a valid reason for disconnecting it. I have read the entire MOST BUS pdf multiple times but do not claim to understand all of it.

Anyway just some food for thought on your question about the "RESET."

By the way 3 days later and system is still working using the instructions from AceFX and pkathee. Thanks again!
Glad its working for ya. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
I checked my system after using INPA to go thru each module set on the most ring. It seems that the results were good as I still have the eq and l7 setting stored when I checked yesterday.

Today I got my first low coolant light and filled up about 3 cups of antifreeze. It's 107 deg. For the last week but I can smell the faint sweet smell of antifreeze, so I am leaking somewhere.

I also think I have a fuel pump problem I am having some mornings the car cranks then finally starts.

BTW : I hate this car.....
Over cranking is definitely a fuel related issue. It could be either a defective fuel pump and/or fuel filter with pressure regulator.

Fuel pump on BMW's especially the E65/E66 platform are notorious for going out. So I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the fuel filter, it is recommended to have it replaced every 20-30k miles as a maintenance item. So it might be way over-due and that's why it is currently acting up.

Either way, these two items are super easy to replace. Just get 'em both swapped out.

Last edited by pkathee; 07-30-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Funny thing is this started happening after I took it in for an oil change at my Indy.

I have to find my coolant leak first. Hope it's not a weep hole issue. Fingers crossed

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is this started happening after I took it in for an oil change at my Indy.

I have to find my coolant leak first. Hope it's not a weep hole issue. Fingers crossed
Oh man, that sucks. Keep your fingers crossed. However, my understanding of the dreaded weep hole issue will have a significant amount of coolant leak everytime you fill her up. I dont think this is the case, right?

Speaking of you hatin' your 7..........even though mine currently has only 52k miles, I am thinking of selling the 760 actually..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkathee View Post
Oh man, that sucks. Keep your fingers crossed. However, my understanding of the dreaded weep hole issue will have a significant amount of coolant leak everytime you fill her up. I dont think this is the case, right?

Speaking of you hatin' your 7..........even though mine currently has only 52k miles, I am thinking of selling the 760 actually..
It leaked about 3 cups of coolant in the last two weeks. I don't see it on the ground? Really have not looked! I am so dam busy with work right now

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
It leaked about 3 cups of coolant in the last two weeks. I don't see it on the ground? Really have not looked! I am so dam busy with work right now
Gotcha...Don't jump into a premature conclusion that it is the dreaded weep hole issue though.

It might be just a hair-line crack on the coolant reservoir= Easy fix!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
I highly doubt its the weep hole. Right b4 mines went a few months back I notice my coolant level was not at the rim as usual but NOT low enough either to trigger the warning light. About a week or 2 later upon pulling up to the house I smelled a faint sweet smell of coolant. I asked my girl to back the car up an sure enough it was pouring out rather rapidly. lucky for me my mechanic is at the end of my driveway through the light. When I got there he removed the plastic engine cover an "BOOM" coolant was pouring out from the weep hole. We both kinda looked at each other an chuckled. It was destine to happen. As for what Pkathee said, do not rush to premature decisions. My experience with the starting issue was notice the weekend b4 the weephole. My car would shut off on me at relights, an stall on the freeways. It was rather embarrassing slowing down to a stop in traffic an then once traffic starts to move you CAN'T. Well ultimately that lead to further problems an it got so bad my car was towed twice in one day. 1st my girl was on her way to work an it stalled on the freeway. She got it started again about 10 mins later and made it to the light outside her job. She tried to start the car for about 30 mins b4 having the car towed home. When the car arrived home I tried to start it an right way it worked. Later that day I went to pick her up in the car "BAD IDEA" it stalled on me on the freeway. that was the 2nd tow. I ended up replacing the integrated power supply module nothing. I then replaced the fuel pump still nothing. Finally I replaced the SBSR Module located in the "B" pillar (thanks to a member on the forum) an the car started right away. Sense then no problems at all.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BM760Li, 67 Mustang
Low coolant

Inspect the coolant tank - mine had a very slight crack that when it got warm, it would leak. It was tough to find in the driveway but eventually I noticed it was wet between the tank and the passenger side air filter. Not sure if all the e66's have two air filters or just the 760's. Also found the plastic tee located just above the alternator on the small line leading from the radiator to the water pump had evidence of past leakage. The 760 has one heck of a set of rad hoses...I simply replaced them all as they are very complex. In summary, look for plastic leaking. The expansion tank was in stock and about $100 so it was an easy fix.