Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Motorcycle
Changed Plugs & Coils, had problems - RESOLVED!

The car was doing some extremely rough idling and so I finally broke down and borrowed a OBD from my neighbor mechanic. Multiple cylinder misfires!!! It was in spanish so I didn't navigate through everything. I yanked all the new coils put the old in just to start somewhere - car ran like a top!!

BAD COILS!!!!! And at least five of them judging by how many errors the OBD scanner kicked up. I am so pissed off. Bought them from FCP Groton. My father who has an E38 said they have a bad rep on his board. He asked why I bought from them.

I have a return in the works. FWIW, I bought Bosch coils. Are they fake? One of the boxes arrived to me with finger prints in grease on it. I saw that and got a bad feeling. Who the hell returns Coils?

Pissed In Brooklyn,
josh

Last edited by jkess114; 09-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Motorcycle
One more thing: In my research I came across an NGK paper on their Iridium plugs. The IX plugs are only good for 40-50 thousand miles. Stay away from those. I haven't driven my car just yet but the throttle response seemed quicker to me. Could very well just be my imagination. Should find out later. Also, when I changed plugs, I think the plug that came out of the #7 cylinder seemed to have some of its electrode burned away. Most of the little nib was gone.

Best,
josh