Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550 i
OMG. I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I guess not I lost a dime somewhere between the middle console and never ever land.. oh well.. my car will be worth market value plus 10 cents...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
Just took my car in for its first service, and asked them to fix my stuck ashtray (yup, I put coins in there). They said it's not covered by warranty and would have to disassemble the console which would cost me, so I told them forget it I'll just take care of it. Any suggestions on the best way to fix it? I just fixed my own plasma TV and washing machine so I'm not letting a damn ashtray get the best of me. I heard someone say screwdriver and pliers, but not sure how that would work. It opens up about an inch or less before it catches. Pretty good chance it was one of those dollar coins from the car wash. Just not sure exactly where the offending coin is. Vertically in the gap on the right side maybe?

Like many others here, I just prefer to put any change from drive thrus, car washes (touchless wand-type of course), etc in the ashtray. Way handier to have it there and I don't like having lots of things in my pocket. Plus even though meters take credit cards, it's a hell of a lot faster to throw a couple quarters in for a quick stop.

Oh and the new 328i loaner is pretty impressive!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Any suggestions on the best way to fix it?
do a barrel roll !

but do it counter clockwise
Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi M Sport
Mine jammed as well - took the dealer's tech an hour plus to get it to close again. Thanks for posting where to find the "coin holder" insert. Just ordered it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Change from McDonalds
Wendy's. McD's sucks.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecop View Post
Mine jammed as well - took the dealer's tech an hour plus to get it to close again. Thanks for posting where to find the "coin holder" insert. Just ordered it.
The coin insert works great, however, I recommend one minor improvement: put a folded piece of electrical tape on the edge of the tray on the hinge side to extend its height by about a quarter inch. This will give a bit more protection from coins falling through. It has worked well for me, so far, as long as I don't overload the tray.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I found the below photo showing the coin holder (Part No. 51-16-9-213-657) next to the ash tray. $16 delivered from www.getbmwparts.com.

This is now pricing out for me at $8.24 for the part and $14.95!!!! for Standard Ground Shipping.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
The coin insert works great, however, I recommend one minor improvement: put a folded piece of electrical tape on the edge of the tray on the hinge side to extend its height by about a quarter inch. This will give a bit more protection from coins falling through. It has worked well for me, so far, as long as I don't overload the tray.
What I did was took a piece if velcro, stick the hook side onto the back of the felt side, cut to length. Stuck it on the outside of the ash tray on the top, door hinge side. It seem to prevent the coins from sliding in between the door and the ash tray.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Select the $7.95 shipping version - small USPS box
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecop View Post
Select the $7.95 shipping version - small USPS box
I thought the the "standard ground" default would be the cheapest, and didn't see the $7.95 option. Duh.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
First of all don't use much cash. Like many of you did, also had a jam in the early part of the relationship. Used forceps to retrieve the dime. Thought about the problem and came up with two solutions: 1) It's a BMW 5er what the H*** are small coins doing in here?, so only quarters and dollar coins go in the space, smalls go into pocket and get dumped in flower pot when home. 2) got a small piece of medium density filter foam cut to fit the area -still using the ash insert [refuse to pay same or more for shipping as price of item on anything]- and stick it to the underside of the lid with double stick tape low enough to prevent anything from getting into the gap, just in case second driver messes up.
Coins stand on edge, don't fall or rattle. Eh, it works for me.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Gold bullion...nothing but 1 OZ American Eagles in my console ; )
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Ashtray stuck

Use a baker's icing spatula to open - it's flat, long enough and won't damage the panel - nor cost $200-400 in service repair from the dealer!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Brilliant!

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 06-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10ster View Post
BMW makes a coin holder tray insert that replaces the ashtray. Part # 51-16-9-213-657

Somewhere there is a post indicating where to drill a small hole in this replacement tray so that ambient light from inside the console shines in it. If I can locate it later I will post a link to this thread.
Can you locate the thread about where to drill the hole for ambient light? Many thanks...
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Change from McDonalds
Hahahaha

I actually get a ten dollar roll of quarters from the bank and keep it in the car. All other loose change goes in my pocket or a tip jar. Can't stand the jingling change.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix msport
Had this same problem with my '11 I picked up a few weeks ago. I was supposed to go to the dealer to get this done buy after reading this thread I gave it a go.

Not sure how much change some have pulled out but I removed a total of 19 quarters and 3 dimes- thought it was a penny or something but whoever had the car before me really packed it in. Thanks all for the suggestions, I used a plastic card and curved tweezers.

Don't know who keeps saying these cars are expensive to drive, I just made over $5
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M SPORT AUTO
coins in ashtray

I also had the same problem, very frustraiting.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Before I buy this...

...the ashtray is the perfect place to stow my garage door opener (my stupid building has an opener that's impossible to program into the car's built in opener, sigh) except that the ashtray is just barely big enough for the remote to fit and I feel like I'm going to break something when I close the lid.

The coin tray replaces the ashtray rather than fitting inside it right? And it looks like it would have a little more room since it is just a plain container and the ashttray bottom isn't completely flat. Is the coin tray any deeper than the ashtray?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
This thread just reminded me that I still haven't fixed my ashtray. Guess I need to see if I own a bakers spatula.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Before I buy this...

...the ashtray is the perfect place to stow my garage door opener (my stupid building has an opener that's impossible to program into the car's built in opener, sigh) except that the ashtray is just barely big enough for the remote to fit and I feel like I'm going to break something when I close the lid.

The coin tray replaces the ashtray rather than fitting inside it right? And it looks like it would have a little more room since it is just a plain container and the ashttray bottom isn't completely flat. Is the coin tray any deeper than the ashtray?
Yes, it replaces it. No, it's not deeper.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I just buy a cheap neoprene small camera case, the ones with a zipper closure and use that to hold my coins and slip that into the lower door compartment. The neoprene absorbs the coin movement so you never hear any rattle when driving.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-TBC...pd_sim_sbs_p_9

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Not sure why anyone would throw loose change anywhere to rattle around while driving -- that would drive me crazy. Glad you got it resolved.
I hate rattles. In fact I hate them more than large key FOBs!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I guess I'm just not a "coin" person, find no need to keep loose change in the car. Still, I don't know how those coins don't jostle and vibrate against each other while driving
I have a small plastic bag (the kind that seal at the end) and I keep quarters for parking meters in it, and the bag stays in the center console. I never hear the coins rattle.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I found the below photo showing the coin holder (Part No. 51-16-9-213-657) next to the ash tray. $16 delivered from www.getbmwparts.com.

Just FYI. the part number supplied above is now coming back with a response that getbmwparts can't guarantee that this will fit in the F-10. I went ahead and ordered anyway.