Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Golf Gti
Can't decide between Coupe or Vert for 335i

Hi everyone!

I am seriously considering selling my beloved '07 VW Golf GTI and getting something more exotic (second hand). I really like the E92/93 335i, but I need some help on two issues.

a) E92 or E93? I love the origami roof and the abscence of the B-Pillars on the convertible, but I am afraid it will be a bit wobbly and not as quick and fun to drive as the coupe. + it is much heavier. I prefer driving quickly rather than cruising, and I don't know if the vert will be as rewarding to drive as the coupe. Which of the two should I get?

b) The N54 engine seems to be a bit underpowered such as that it won't compete with big brother M3. I want to install some upgrades, mainly reprogamming the ECU and getting a new exhaust system, to get the horsepower between 340 and 350 but no more. Any reliable suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335ic
Really u should look at a new mustang gt. bmw's really are touring cars that have sportyness to them. If u increase the boost you will have problems down the road, like any over boosted car. If you dont mind repairing turbos, valve trains and trannys go for it. If u leave the car stock and drive it like it was intended the car will last. U need 7k oil changes, a warm up and cool down period if u want long term reliability.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
If you are going to track the car, go with the coupe. The cabrio is heavier and will give up (at least) a small amount of handling. You would only notice it when you are out on the 9/10ths. The N54 isn't really underpowered, in fact most reports are that it was under rated by BMW at 300/300. There are many dyno tests that show a range around 320-330 for both HP and TQ. If that isn't enough look into mods/tune for this motor, there are lots of them. Which ever you get it will still out muscle and out handle 98% of the cars on the road. N4S
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IY View Post
I want to install some upgrades, mainly reprogamming the ECU . . . . Any reliable suggestions?
335i tuning options
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
buy the convertible put the top up and have a coupe - 2 cars in one! The 400 pound diff only really shows up on the track, otherwise, you will attract better looking skinnier friends with the vert which will negate the weight difference!

I have the GIAC stage 2 on mine with downpipes and an upgraded intake and intercooler and love it!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
a) E92 or E93? I love the origami roof and the abscence of the B-Pillars on the convertible, but I am afraid it will be a bit wobbly and not as quick and fun to drive as the coupe. + it is much heavier. I prefer driving quickly rather than cruising, and I don't know if the vert will be as rewarding to drive as the coupe. Which of the two should I get?

b) The N54 engine seems to be a bit underpowered such as that it won't compete with big brother M3. I want to install some upgrades, mainly reprogamming the ECU and getting a new exhaust system, to get the horsepower between 340 and 350 but no more. Any reliable suggestions?

a) Seriously? Think long on that.

b) Much written on this - recommend a good read. Go ahead -- do a search.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
a) Seriously? Think long on that.

b) Much written on this - recommend a good read. Go ahead -- do a search.
Good job .... another first poster search smackdown ...... don't let em in .... keep ur thumb in the dike!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 Sdrive 28i MSport
We should turn this board into a database...no discussions only searches. I'll go first. My search, "power tool." Imagine that...look who popped up first.

Last edited by cneighbor; 09-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
I suggest OP go and test drive a couple of E93's and E92's to see which he prefers. The bigger issue for OP is whether or not he is a top-down kind of person. If you're only going to put the top down on rare occasions, the extra money for the E93 is probably not worth it - if you have it down all the time, then it definitely is worth it. I would think with all the great scenery in Greece OP would appreciate the top-down experience, however, one does not usually associate a convertible with racing around town

@ laer and cneighbor - on every forum I read, there is always someone who has to respond to every question with a "go and search" post. Fortunately, they are ignored most of the time...

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Good job .... another first poster search smackdown ...... don't let em in .... keep ur thumb in the dike!
Outrage!

Yet, gotta ask: Is it best to base a buying decision on Internet opinions in a forum post? If so, large sample size over time yields truest result.

Posting a question answered many times over many years shows a level of bliss; no clue.

A clue's supplied. Will OP read the threads? Door's ajar, but might never know. Yo, Laser, post your info too!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-06-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the useful help !

I actually have conducted quite a bit of research on the tuning part. BUT most of the stuff I found was either posted by people who have tuned their cars to 380+ horses which is more than what i want, or it was merely stuff on the tuner's websites (Burger, Vishnu etc...) which is obviously biased. This is why I asked here, I apologize if it came of as if I hadn't conducted any research on the topic !

As far as the coupe vs convertible decision goes I'll decide last minute, even though I'm currently leaning more towards the coupe. A young guy like me in a German sport-convertible is a bit too provocative in Greece, given the mess it is in. I'll look like a tax evader spending daddy's money, which I'm not. Some of us work hard here :P
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM
David W

Mein Auto: 2007 335I E93 & E92
We have both and they are different. The E93 is an auto and until you drive the E92 you do not notice the flex. The E92 is a manual with tune and about 380 hp, my son calls it a German muscle car, you can't use the power in the lower gears in town without being a ticket magnet. The E93 is plenty fast and you will never notice the weight on the street, we use it every time we can put the roof down. Either will blow past 100 mph with no effort passing on a 2 lane road.
David
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williamso View Post
We have both and they are different. The E93 is an auto and until you drive the E92 you do not notice the flex. The E92 is a manual with tune and about 380 hp, my son calls it a German muscle car, you can't use the power in the lower gears in town without being a ticket magnet. The E93 is plenty fast and you will never notice the weight on the street, we use it every time we can put the roof down. Either will blow past 100 mph with no effort passing on a 2 lane road.
David
Thanks for the advice! Both sound great, but given your descriptions I think I'd have the E92 with the manual. From what you've seen, do 380 horses put too much strain on the stock components ?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 PM
David W

Mein Auto: 2007 335I E93 & E92
Mine is a stage ll Dinan tune, I got the car used from a friend and it is now at 84,000 km or about 53,000 miles. He did the tune when the car was new and no issues other than the normal hP fuel pump and injectors that got changed before I got the car. Dinan is a mild tune and it is expensive but they do cover it under a full warantee matching the BMW 4 years. It is simple, the more power the more stuff breaks so for me a mid tune is fine.
David
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
I actually have conducted quite a bit of research on the tuning part. BUT most of the stuff I found was either posted by people who have tuned their cars to 380+ horses which is more than what i want
You have two options if you're looking for a more moderate tune: the BMW Power Performance Kit (PPK); or the the Cobb AccessPort with the Stage 1 Drive map.

The BMW PPK will increase your HP to 320 and torque to 332 lb-ft with an AT or 317 lb-ft with a MT. The Cobb AP with the Stage 1 Drive map increase your HP and torque about 10-15% (Cobb hasn't posted official numbers for this map but that's what I've guesstimated from the map power curves it has made public).

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Both sound great, but given your descriptions I think I'd have the E92 with the manual. From what you've seen, do 380 horses put too much strain on the stock components ?
The truth is: 335i has more power than can be appreciated w/stock suspension and you should upgrade there before adding power. However, BMW's are over-engineered and easily handle power upgrades.

There's chatter re: exceeding Steptronic torque spec, but no damage I've heard of, street duty. If you do a power mod, get a chip with integrated meth for max satisfaction.

Michelin PSS tires, LSD, Coilovers; M Parts work a miracle on these cars, yet look totally stock on the street. Driving pleasure way, way, way up - you may no longer want more power.

Run your suspension upgrade search HERE.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-08-2012 at 06:19 AM.