Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
@gspannu; Can you run C_FG_LESSEN with No Arguments and see if it returns the current Combox Vin Number? Assuming it does, then run C_FG_SCHREIBEN again, but this time with the same VIN Number returned by C_FG_LESSEN job, and with the extra checksum digit, and see if that works? I am trying to determine if the CMEDIAR.prg is working with Fxx Chassis. If it is, then I would try other VIN Numbers and see of one sticks.
I am about to go to my car (in next 15 minutes) to try what you have recommend in the previous post…

Can you please provide a little more detail on how to do C_FG_LESSEN?

Apologies, I have not used EDIABAS in anger (but happy to learn & play); so a little guidance from you would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
It's the same as the C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job, just select the C_FG_LESSEN job instead. So:

- Launch tool32.exe (C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE)
- Hit F3 or Go to File, Load SGBD Group File
- Select CMEDIAR.prg (Combox ECU) located in C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\cmediar.prg
- Scroll down to C_FG_LESSEN Job
- Press the 1*> button (Start Job Once Only) on toolbar at top
- Result should show Okay. SHould return current Combox VIN #.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
@gspannu; Can you run C_FG_LESSEN with No Arguments and see if it returns the current Combox Vin Number? Assuming it does, then run C_FG_SCHREIBEN again, but this time with the same VIN Number returned by C_FG_LESSEN job, and with the extra checksum digit, and see if that works? I am trying to determine if the CMEDIAR.prg is working with Fxx Chassis. If it is, then I would try other VIN Numbers and see of one sticks.
Just tried what you suggested and I still get the error while trying to read the VIN. If you se the attached image you would see that some junk is being returned.

I tried this twice, once with TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST and then with =Coding; but same result with both. I did not try setting it to my original VIN though. (can try it if you think it will work or shed more light on the problem)

Does it shed any light? Thanks for your support…..

* UPDATED *
Just to add on…..
I just read the Job-Info window carefully (see screenshot-right hand window; 3rd paragraph); and it says that the FG_NR (comment: Fahrgestellnummer 7-stellig) should be 7-digit long (i.e. the last 7 characters of the VIN). 'Fahrgestellnummer 7-stellig' in German translates to '7-digit vehicle identification number'

So, should we not be coding the VIN as only the last 7 characters? Where does the whole 17 character VIN and a check-digit come into play.
Possibly my ignorance on the subject, but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

Last edited by gspannu; 08-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Just tried what you suggested and I still get the error while trying to read the VIN. If you se the attached image you would see that some junk is being returned.

I tried this twice, once with TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST and then with =Coding; but same result with both. I did not try setting it to my original VIN though. (can try it if you think it will work or shed more light on the problem)

Does it shed any light? Thanks for your support...
Not looking good. Try one other thing. Run Tool32.exe as an Administrator, and try C_FG_LESSEN again, and see if it makes a difference.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Not looking good. Try one other thing. Run Tool32.exe as an Administrator, and try C_FG_LESSEN again, and see if it makes a difference.
I always run Esys and tool32 with 'Run as Administrator'...

Any idea about the 7-digit VIN for the parameter (in my updated post)?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I always run Esys and tool32 with 'Run as Administrator'...

Any idea about the 7-digit VIN for the parameter (in my updated post)?
I don't think entering the VIN # itself, Short VIN or Long VIN, is the issue at the moment since reading the current Combox VIN # with C_FG_LESSEN with no Arguments at all is returning the same ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED.

My suspicion is that the CMEDIAR.prg SGBD Group File will only work with Exx chassis, possibly due to a different address on the Most Bus.

I am going to try it on my car this evening and see if I get the same error.

Surely there is a way to do this in E-Sys, but I'll be dammed if I can figure it out, but still working on it.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think entering the VIN # itself, Short VIN or Long VIN, is the issue at the moment since reading the current Combox VIN # with C_FG_LESSEN with no Arguments at all is returning the same ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED.

My suspicion is that the CMEDIAR.prg SGBD Group File will only work with Exx chassis, possibly due to a different address on the Most Bus.

I am going to try it on my car this evening and see if I get the same error.

Surely there is a way to do this in E-Sys, but I'll be dammed if I can figure it out, but still working on it.
Thanks, mate. You are a real star.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, mate. You are a real star.
Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I am pretty sure I know what the Tool32 problem is. The CMEDIAR.prg SGBD Group File is only for Exx Combox's.

What is needed instead for Fxx Combox's is CMEDIA.prg.

The bad news is that CMEDIA.prg is not included in my EDIABAS installation that came with E-Sys.

So, now I am hunting for it...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I am pretty sure I know what the Tool32 problem is. The CMEDIAR.prg SGBD Group File is only for Exx Combox's.

What is needed instead for Fxx Combox's is CMEDIA.prg.

The bad news is that CMEDIA.prg is not included in my EDIABAS installation that came with E-Sys.

So, now I am hunting for it...
Thanks…Please keep me posted. Really appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks…Please keep me posted. Really appreciated.
Got it. I had to hack into the ISTA-P 2.46.3 VMWare Image, and pull it from the F10 ECU Data folder.

So here it is. Download it, and rename the extension from .pdf to .prg, then copy into your C:\EDIABAS\Ecu folder, and open it and try the C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cmedia.pdf (1.47 MB, 341 views)

Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Got it. I had to hack into the ISTA-P 2.46.3 VMWare Image, and pull it from the F10 ECU Data folder.

So here it is. Download it, and rename the extension from .pdf to .prg, then copy into your C:\EDIABAS\Ecu folder, and open it and try the C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job again.
Thank you, downloaded….

Can't wait to get home and try it now !

Will update once I have the results...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you, downloaded….

Can't wait to get home and try it now !

Will update once I have the results...
Ok. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Tried it... but we have a new problem now !

The commands C_FG_SCHREIBEN or C_FG_LESSEN do not exist in this new cmediar.prg

I think they are probably called something different or have been moved to a different module.

Any idea?

or have you managed to find out how to set Telematk_vin using ESys?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Tried it... but we have a new problem now !

The commands C_FG_SCHREIBEN or C_FG_LESSEN do not exist in this new cmediar.prg

I think they are probably called something different or have been moved to a different module.

Any idea?

or have you managed to find out how to set Telematk_vin using ESys?
Crap! It's always something. Let me see if I can figure out the new cmedia.prg.

No progress at all on E-Sys VIN writing.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Crap! It's always something. Let me see if I can figure out the new cmedia.prg.

No progress at all on E-Sys VIN writing.
Thank you for your continuing support...
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535d
Really important:

i made some mistakes while i was trying to code a different vin to my car (via e-sys vo coding). now i always have an error something like "airbags doesnt work (rückhaltesystem fahrer, beifahrer, fond)". and also "pedestrian warning doesnt work". really bad
does anyone know wich sgbd file for edibas toolset32 i can use to delete the error memory?
i used the posted cmedia.prg, but this does only delete and read errors from cmedia...

i would appreciate your help
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Guys, got it - finally!
It was in module "ACSM3" (Zentrales Airbagauslösegerät). I cleared the error memory and everything seems to be fine again. I used the attached file (extracted from vmware image) - rename to prg and enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf acsm3.pdf (538.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibob View Post
Really important:

i made some mistakes while i was trying to code a different vin to my car (via e-sys vo coding). now i always have an error something like "airbags doesnt work (rückhaltesystem fahrer, beifahrer, fond)". and also "pedestrian warning doesnt work". really bad
does anyone know wich sgbd file for edibas toolset32 i can use to delete the error memory?
i used the posted cmedia.prg, but this does only delete and read errors from cmedia...

i would appreciate your help
I would first try and reset CMB_MEDIA and any other ECU's involved by VO Coding them.

After that, use Tool32, F01.prg.

Job FS_LESEN_FUNKTIONAL will read fault codes, and job FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL will delete them, so long as the actual fault condition on the ECU is first removed, which is why I would VO Code them first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool32 - F01,grp - FS_LESEN_FUNKTIONAL.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	340946   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool32 - F01,grp - FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL - Results.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	340947  

Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Guys, got it - finally!
It was in module "ACSM3" (Zentrales Airbagauslösegerät). I cleared the error memory and everything seems to be fine again. I used the attached file (extracted from vmware image) - rename to prg and enjoy!
Which job in acsm3.prg did you use?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM

For writing a VIN to the Combox in E-Sys, I figured that out, and it is very simple:

So simple in fact, that I am mad I spent so much damn time in Tool32, CMEDIA.prg and E-Sys trying to figure it out.

First you must code CMB_MEDIA / TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding VIN using your real FA VIN. Then, open your FA up in the FA-Editor, change the VIN, Caluclate FP just to make sure there are no problems with it, and then save the FA with a new name, i.e. FA_VIN_FAKE. Lastly, go to the coding module, and under Vehicle Order load your new FA_VIN_FAKE, activate FA, and then FDL code CMB_MEDIA. Lastly, read CMB_MEDIA coding data, and verify the new VIN in brackets. In the attached picture, you can see my Combox and Head Unit are showing two different VIN's.

Afterwards, either shut down E-Sys, or load your original FA back and activate it before coding anything else. DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car.

For Internet and BMW Live to work, you need a VIN with factory options 614 and 615.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Combox VIN Change - SVT.png
Views:	1699
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	340948  

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car.
Thats exactly why i got a hell of errors showing up. Just tried to code the different VIN in every module... my heart was bleeding as my car didnt start anymore :o
but now everything seems good again

thanks shawn!
i used "fs_lesen" and if there was anything, i used "fs_löschen" in every single file. later on i found the f01.prg thanks!!

i will try to code the vin to cmbmedia this time... do i have to remove the Salapa-Element for BMW Assist (S612A)?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 AM

if i try to code cmb_media -> 3006 TELEMATIK -> TELEMATIK_VIN to "CODING_VIN". The attached value switches to "01". At which point do i set the "CODING_VIN"?

or do i just set it to "CODING_VIN" and then do VO-Coding cmb_media with fake-VIN? Thanks man!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Thats exactly why i got a hell of errors showing up. Just tried to code the different VIN in every module... my heart was bleeding as my car didnt start anymore :o
but now everything seems good again

thanks shawn!
i used "fs_lesen" and if there was anything, i used "fs_löschen" in every single file. later on i found the f01.prg thanks!!

i will try to code the vin to cmbmedia this time... do i have to remove the Salapa-Element for BMW Assist (S612A)?
Yes. You CAN NOT have BMW Assist. If your Bluetooth is part of 612, you will need to replace 612 with 644. If your Bluetooth is another code, just delete 612.

Also make sure you have 614, 615, 6AB, and 6AL in your VO.

VO Code CMB_MEDA and HU_CIC afterwards.

Quote:
if i try to code cmb_media -> 3006 TELEMATIK -> TELEMATIK_VIN to "CODING_VIN". The attached value switches to "01". At which point do i set the "CODING_VIN"?

or do i just set it to "CODING_VIN" and then do VO-Coding cmb_media with fake-VIN? Thanks man!
I am not sure I understand what you did, but code TELEMATIK_VIN = CODING_VIN first, then load you FA with new FAKE VIN, activate it, read CMB_MEDIA, then just FDL Code it. Read it back and it should show the new VIN.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-09-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yes. You CAN NOT have BMW Assist. If your Bluetooth is part of 612, you will need to replace 612 with 644. If your Bluetooth is another code, just delete 612.

Also make sure you have 614, 615, 6AB, and 6AL in your VO.

VO Code CMB_MEDA and HU_CIC afterwards.

I am not sure I understand what you did, but code TELEMATIK_VIN = CODING_VIN first, then load you FA with new FAKE VIN, activate it, read CMB_MEDIA, then just FDL Code it. Read it back and it should show the new VIN.
hey shawn,
thanks... i tried what you advised me to do i coded the following sa to my car: 614,615,6AB,6AL and finally replaced 633 with 644. all seems good now. i have the ability to get data via bluetooth phone. but i still have a problem coding the vin to cmb_media.

if i use a vin thats not my own, i always get a error (negative response, request out of range) and after i read out the cmb_media it shows a vin thats like "yyyyyyy". i guess there is a problem with the signature and thats why the device declines to write the vin. any idea on this?

thaaaanks
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
hey shawn,
thanks... i tried what you advised me to do i coded the following sa to my car: 614,615,6AB,6AL and finally replaced 633 with 644. all seems good now. i have the ability to get data via bluetooth phone. but i still have a problem coding the vin to cmb_media.

if i use a vin thats not my own, i always get a error (negative response, request out of range) and after i read out the cmb_media it shows a vin thats like "yyyyyyy". i guess there is a problem with the signature and thats why the device declines to write the vin. any idea on this?

thaaaanks
You should only get the error (negative response, request out of range) if you have NOT already coded TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN. If you code that first, it should take the new VIN. Also, when you are coding the new VIN, you should FDL Code it, not VO Code it, as if you VO Code it, it will revert to TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST_VIN, defeating it. First code TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN with real FA, the come back with FAKE VIN FA, and FDL Code CMB_MEDIA.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.