Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
So you think you know how you'd react, eh?

Well, let me tell you. I always said the same thing. Fri morning was the test to all that bravado.

Some here know that I keep weapons in my home. Some are designed for home protection. Some I purchased for the range. Some are great for sport shooting. Others are for wide open spaces and a few hundred yards of target practice.

I didn't have a single firearm where I wanted it that morning. Why didn't I say 'where I needed it'? 'Cause it turns out I didn't 'need' it.

Working from home at 9:15AM or so, the doorbell rings. Not an unusual thing for my home. It's usually a family member who lives nearby.. or a solicitor. I didn't pay much attention, but I did peek through the window to see a white Gran Marquis in my driveway. Well, my 90 yr old neighbor has one of those and he comes around every now and then to tell me about 1935- or whatever is on his mind. Today was not the day for that, so I didn't head to the door- about ten feet away around a corner.

But then this REALLY LOUD knock comes at the door. That was confusing. Why would my old neighbor knock that hard? Another LOUD knock. WTF? I started towards the door. Two steps. Two KNOCKS. I was now pissed, but I have delt with delusional elderly's before. I didn't want to scare him. I wanted to calm him down.

By the time I rounded the entry and saw through the glass that this person was absolutely not 90.. not frail.. and not who I thought he was... the door swung open. I was four feet away from a man who'd just kicked in my front door.

In. My. Home.
-------------
I had no weapon. I was not dressed. I was not ready. I had only me. Myself. My home. The place my daughter feels safe. The place my wife feels like she can be the woman I married. Our place.
-------------
The door swung open. His foot hit the floor from kicking in the door. And here's where it gets.. a little weird. It took this man coming inside my house to know that someone was breaking in. When I realized it, I went absolutely primal. I bowed up, raised my clenched fists... and I looked him dead in the eyes. This voice arose from me that I have never heard. It was demonic. It was LOUD. I yelled with all of the instinct and adrenaline and years and years of evolution,

"WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU DOING A$$HOLE?!"

His knees buckled. His hands raised to his face like he was afraid to get shot. I saw in a human being the full fear that I was going to kill it. I didn't care. He was not coming in my house. Not into my place. Not into my peace. Not into my family. He was going to kill me or I was going to kill him. Period. I was still going to kill it. I was going to end it's life. Barefoot. Bare hands. No pants, no shirt. No gun.

He stepped towards his car parked in my driveway. He looked back as I followed him..He wondered if I was going to shoot him. Guess what.. I would have. I KNOW I would have! Not a threat? My ass! He was going to his car. What was in his car? A gun? A partner? If I had been armed, I would have absolutely shot his ass in his back. I wanted the threat I saw in him over. Done. Snuffed. OUT.

Why THE FNCK did I follow him? WTF was I thinking? I will tell you.. I wasn't. I wanted to see his face. I wanted to ALWAYS know who he is. I wanted him to KNOW I know him. I wanted him to KNOW I know his soul. And I do. I will never forget him.

So as he climbed into his car, I stood.. 10 feet away from him... looking into his eyes. STRAIGHT into his eyes. I pointed. I used all my rage. I yelled... "I GOT YOU MF'ER! I KNOW YOU! I GOT YOU!"

He yelled back at me from inside his car, "Oh! You got me huh?"

It was then that I considered he might have a gun in his car. I chose then not to be a foot from the car door. I stayed back. But I didn't let him know how scared I was. I yelled back....

"Yeah, BITCH! I GOT YOU! COME BACK! YOU COME BACK! I GOT YOU! I WILL KILL YOU!"

He left. I got his license. I called the police. I will ALWAYS know him. I will know who he is until the day one of us dies. If I saw him on the road, I would know it was him.

I don't want him dead for me. I want him dead so I know he will never do that to another man or his family. This man violated my place. My peace. The peace of my daughter. The peace of my wife. The place I promised I would protect for both of them.

As for the man's soul... I will tell you this. I know him. I could talk to him. He was a ball player. He wasn't always a loser. I would have no problem with him on any given day.. except that day.

I am working through the switch that was thrown in my human experience. I now know that I can and would kill another human being. All the talk aside. I absolutely would have killed him. In my HEART I know I can. I will. I WANTED him dead. That's a weird thing to deal with. You can say you would. You can say should. But when it gets down to it... forget *should* you...*would* you? *could* you?

I know I would. And that freaks me out a bit... Or a lot...
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Similar thing happened to my grandpa. Pulled into his garage one night and after he got out of his car, some guy ran in and pulled a gun demanding his wallet. The robber made the mistake of being way too close, and for reasons my grandpa still doesn't know, my then 70 year old grandpa started screaming at the top of his lungs and grabbed the barrel of the gun. Guy took off running empty handed. He still doesnt know why he did that.

Fight or flight instinct is a very funny thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Wow.

Anything happen with the police? They can still get him for B&E, no?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: A car
yep - wow... can I ask what part of the country you're in?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
wow prop.... I'd say considering the circumstances you handled it well and it's good you were able to report it with ID. Thankfully you or your family wasn't hurt. How did you feel after the adrenaline wore off? Are you concerned at all about any kind of retaliation? Again, thank God you and the family are okay. That's all that really matters in the end.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
wow...just wow!!!

while i have never experienced a home invasion, i have had (far lesser) confrontations where exactly what you describe erupted from within my innermost primal bowels. the first time that had happened to me i shook uncontrollably for about an hour or so afterwards.

i am so thankful that you and your family are ok, though.

again, wow.

df
Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."
Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
When did this happen, and what'd the police say?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."
"I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Wow PH, sorry to hear!! There are few things worse than being violated like that. I don't know how you didn't turn him into a bloody pulp. I'm 6,5" and 280lbs, ex-lineman. Someone comes kicking through my door, they better have an arsenal- and even then my dead hands will need to be pried from their corpse. I do practice grabbing the kitchen knives when an unfamiliar person is coming up-usually we are in the kitchen and can see them a mile away.

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
speechless! and impressed! wow!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
What did he want anyway? It does look like a strange way to break into a house. It almost sounds like he was looking to find his wife.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
"I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."
did this happen in mississippi?? i ask simply because the tusk 'r loosa...

ok, so i paraphrased it,,,but i luv teh marx bros!!

df
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
speechless! and impressed! wow!
Same here
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: x

First thing came to mind was retaliation, hope the cops are able to catch the guy fast... but I kinda doubt that guy's coming back as you're going to be more prepared after the incident.

Keep us updated...

Oh, and did you say "no pants"??
Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Glad it ended as well as it did. Had you shot him you would have done the world a service, but I'm also glad he didn't have a gun in the car to have the opportunity to shoot you. Man, that is scary...hope they catch him. I doubt he'd have the balls to come back though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Extremely frightening.....

I recommend one of these....preferably Schutzhund trained - no bad guys will enter hearing the very large menacing bark....bad guys want easy uncomplicated targets and a big GSD is a very big complication. Although it is always preferable to avoid a fight, if it comes to a fight, a GSD will ferociously fight to his last breath to protect his property ( your house) and pack (your family).

Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
How did you feel after the adrenaline wore off? Are you concerned at all about any kind of retaliation?
I still feel like sh!t. I feel like I aged or something. Not creaky bones, just bad in my gut. Near the bottom of my chest. I feel yucky.

The officers said that I did not need to worry about him coming back. They said if I looked at him as closely as I did, he would probably not come back into the neighborhood ever again. These people do not want to be seen. They especially don't want to be recognized.

That didn't keep me from finding my old security doors and installing them on Friday night. They're up. They don't fit right with the deadbolt on the new doors, so I had to remove the inside handle. It's just temporary anyway. We're getting measured for steel doors that will replace both the security doors and the front doors as one unit. They're expensive as hell, but I don't care. That's not happening to me again. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Anything happen with the police? They can still get him for B&E, no?
They can. Because he destroyed doors and they were over (some amount- I don't know) a couple thousand $, he committed a felony. The police were awesome. To an exact 'T', each one of them said, "Too bad." when I told them I have a gun but it wasn't on me. They each said that they wished I'd killed the guy. One officer (female) even went further after I pried deeper with "what if" questions about shooting him as he was running to his car.

"Oh, baby. You just put that out of your head. We know what this is. This is not a drug house. This is not a personal crime that you deserve or something. This man came into a good citizen's home and broke his door. We'll take care of you. We take care of good citizens. Next time, don't you worry about where he is. You do what you need to do."

She was being nice I am sure, and I am taking her advice with a grain of salt. It was nice to feel like I could take care of things if I needed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
What did he want anyway? It does look like a strange way to break into a house.
The sergeant I spoke on the phone with who was filing my report said that this is a very common method of burglary. She said it is happening everywhere. Easy access through the doors and they can carry anything out they need to.

I am making the orders for a camera system if anyone has a suggestion for those.

We interviewed a dog from a rescue. He's three years old and is a boxer/lab mix. He was precious even if he looked ferocious. He immediately pressed his big square head into my thigh after he 'met' me. He felt like my dog right away. We're taking a week to think about him and get our house in order for a new family member. I know I would be happy to have him, but I don't know if we are all ready for the responsibility of a new 'person' in our family.

I want to thank you all for you sentiments. Many players have changed, but this is a great community founded on a wonderful common ground. I really do appreciate each of you- even those who have only read and not posted. I can feel the support of each of you.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Wow, glad you and your family are OK. This would freak me out to no end!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM

i would imagine the feeling in the pit of your stomach will probably be there for a while, especially with the level of trauma this inflicted.

still, the more i think about this, the more it sends shivers down my spine.

again, very glad that you and your family are uninjured. keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

and i hope they catch this guy.

did the police have you sit with a sketch artist for a composite??

df
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I'm glad you and you family are safe. I tell my wife, family, and friends when someone knocks at the door always make some noise. Let them know you are there. It reduces the odds tremendously that a crime will occur. Scum like this are looking for opportunity. Don't trust the police, the law varies from state to state. If you had shot this creep in the back while he was leaving you may have been charged with a crime. I would have loved to see the look on his face when he kicked the door in and you would have had a .45 aimed at his face!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTONE! View Post
I'm glad you and you family are safe. I tell my wife, family, and friends when someone knocks at the door always make some noise. Let them know you are there. It reduces the odds tremendously that a crime will occur. Scum like this are looking for opportunity. Don't trust the police, the law varies from state to state. If you had shot this creep in the back while he was leaving you may have been charged with a crime. I would have loved to see the look on his face when he kicked the door in and you would have had a .45 aimed at his face!
It is probably best for you that you did not shoot him in the back as he was leaving the house although I agree that you would have been doing the world a favor.

I'm glad to hear that you and your family are OK and am sorry to hear that you had to go through such a traumatic experience.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I still feel like sh!t. I feel like I aged or something. Not creaky bones, just bad in my gut. Near the bottom of my chest. I feel yucky.

The officers said that I did not need to worry about him coming back. They said if I looked at him as closely as I did, he would probably not come back into the neighborhood ever again. These people do not want to be seen. They especially don't want to be recognized.

That didn't keep me from finding my old security doors and installing them on Friday night. They're up. They don't fit right with the deadbolt on the new doors, so I had to remove the inside handle. It's just temporary anyway. We're getting measured for steel doors that will replace both the security doors and the front doors as one unit. They're expensive as hell, but I don't care. That's not happening to me again. Ever.They can. Because he destroyed doors and they were over (some amount- I don't know) a couple thousand $, he committed a felony. The police were awesome. To an exact 'T', each one of them said, "Too bad." when I told them I have a gun but it wasn't on me. They each said that they wished I'd killed the guy. One officer (female) even went further after I pried deeper with "what if" questions about shooting him as he was running to his car.
Yikes! I'd pay extra attention to your health the next few days/weeks. After experiencing such a traumatic event you might be at risk for developing some adverse reaction or health condition. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new but some people get sick or develop problems after suffering events like that... Kind of like a mild form of PTSD. While I've experienced some scary events while deployed it doesn't compare to an up close and personal encounter like what you went through. You're a braver man than I . It's good that the officers said he won't be coming back and I'm sure the steel doors will bring peace of mind. Also the dog might be a great idea not just for security but just to have him around. I always wanted a dog when I was younger... I'm sure your daughter would love having him around plus it's an added security feature like most have said.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
HOLY COW!!!

Im glad you are OK.

Fing unbelievable. Why they hell would he try that?? If he went around to the back of the house, no one would have seen him. Whatta chowderhead.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.