Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e36/7
1997 z3 unusually stuck seat

I have a 97 z3. I have read through the forum, but not encountered the same problem I am having. My driver seat is stuck in the almost far back position and will not go forward to get to the rear bolts. Here is where it becomes unusual. I have disconnected the motor (Which works fine) and the rod will spin freely on the left seat track moving that side of the seat, but the rod on the right seat track will not turn. I even put an s2 bit in the mechanism and it will not budge or spin at all. I have sprayed WD40 into the mechanism to try to free it up. I have blown compressed air through the seat track to clear that out. The seat will not go forward or back at all on that side. How can I get this seat out? I am at a loss.
Denis

Last edited by fongbros; 09-09-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: emoticons in the text
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
I don't remember where I got this from,

Here is the procedure (below) to move the seat without power. I have actually done this a couple of times, so I know it works (it just takes a while). It might actually be easier (and faster) to replace the motor with a good one from the other seat, if the motor is the only problem. Depending on your experience/comfort level, you could run temporary wires straight to the battery to run the motor if the problem is in the switches or wiring. You can reverse the motor rotation by reversing the temporary wires to the battery. I don't recommend the temporary wire method unless you are experienced at that sort of thing - way too easy to mess up something.

Remember, that if you take the motor out and test it or "hotwire" it straight to the battery that you have to hook up both wires - it doesn't ground through the frame of the motor (like a starter motor, for example).

Manual method to move seat:

1. If you can get to your front bolts that hold the seat to the floor, go ahead and remove them now.

2. Refer to the picture below. This is the motor that moves the seat forward and backward - it is right under the front of the seat.
Notice the Torx screws that hold it in. Go ahead and remove the 2 that you can get to, then loosen the 2 on the other side (but don't remove the motor).

3. Next, twist the motor out slightly. What you want to happen is for the shaft to come loose from one side (either the motor or the gear box). The shaft is a flexible metal cable that is inside the black plastic tube that is connected to the center of the motor. It sticks into the motor and into the gear box about 1/2 inch on either side. (If you have to remove the other 2 bolts to get the shaft out, that will be ok - you will just have to put them back in - in step #5).

4. Once the shaft comes loose from one side, then pull off the black plastic cover, then put the shaft back in the motor/gearbox. Make sure that the shaft on the other side of the motor is still connected. If not, then pull off the black plastic cover on that side and put the shaft back in.

5. Next, reinstall the Torx bolts that hold the motor in. You should now be reassembled, except that the black plastic covers over the shafts will be removed.

6. Now you are ready to move the seat. You need to grasp the flexible shaft between your thumb and fingers and rotate it (shaft) in the direction that the motor would be turning. If you need to move the seat forward, then looking from the driver's side of the car, rotate the shaft counter-clockwise (I think, it's been too long for me to remember for sure). You may have to use both hands on the shaft to get it to turn initially (especially if the seat is jammed). Get someone to shake the seat while you try to turn if it is really jammed. Try turning the opposite direction if it refuses to budge.

7. Once the shaft starts turning, then all you have to do is to continue to turn it until the seat moves far enough so that you can get to the back bolts. This does take some time to accomplish (perhaps 15 or 20 minutes).
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck seat.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	341057  
Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your reply, but either I was unclear or you misunderstood. The motor is fine. It is the piece on the seat track that the motor shaft goes into is the part that will not spin.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
majbe there's something stick in the rail. On what I can see, you can't remove the two screws (the rear one) that locks the seat to the car....

I think you have or somthinf in the seats rail, or some arm on the mechannism broken...maybe try to upper it as you can and take a look under it
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Sorry, I don't have a solution to your issue. This was a procedure about how to get at the back bolts, so in fact you could remove the seat and take a better look at it outside the vehicle. You did mention about not being able to access the back bolts.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
removing all other 3 bolts and troyng to rotate it a little? maybe the 4th screw will loose a little and you could try to remove it, then with the seat "on the table", search a proper solution...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM

The seat will move on the left side, but not far enought to get to the back bolt. The left side track is totally locked up. The seat is up in its highest position, so I have some room to work, but it just will not move.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: z3
I am have this EXACT same problem-- fongbros- how did you get the seat out???? Please help- someone- anyone?????
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM

You will hate this answer. I had to buy a new seat track on ebay, then once that arrived, I smashed and drill and pried apart the broken bracket until it crumbled. It's a worm gear inside so it will not move regardless of what you do if the drive gear is stuck.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: z3
OH NO! That is NOT what I want to hear. I think I will leave the seat alone. I intended to replace the broken seatbelt guide and bushings but it doesn't seem worth it. No one ever rides in the passenger seat other than my dog and she doesn't care about seat belts or position of the seat. Sorry you had such trouble. Just not worth the hassle at this point to me. Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw z3
Stuck seat

Mine was stuck when I got it.I held the motor on,and tapped the mechanism with a hammer(and a long screwdriver).Started moving immediately.