Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Z3 Why do you love it?

Seems like to the most useless things to post about, yet I wonder often why other Z owners love their ride.

I have had my car for about a year and have enjoyed every minute and mile in it.
The way it handles, the power it produces.
Haven't had but a single complaint. But, have come to terms with it.

The Z3 is a beautiful breed of roadster.

So tell me, if you have the time, why do you love yours?
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
Love my red '98 Z3 2.8L roadster. I has a classic look, handles nicely with plenty of get up and go. I guess the bottom line is that it is such FUN TO DRIVE!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Ditto Nfunk! Only had mine for about 5-6 months and I've already put 8K miles on it. Love every mile behind the wheel. Love the body style. It still amazes me how many people look the car over as I'm going by. LOL
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: '98 Z3
Had my '98 2.8L for 2 months now, loving it. The zip, the air, the handling, the women throwing themselves at me... well, 3 out of 4 anyway. It's not the first car I bought that I liked, but it is the first I was able to buy for fun. Hope to keep it a long time. Like one of my daughter's friends remarked, "The grey-beards get all the good cars."
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkerry View Post
Had my '98 2.8L for 2 months now, loving it. The zip, the air, the handling, the women throwing themselves at me... well, 3 out of 4 anyway. It's not the first car I bought that I liked, but it is the first I was able to buy for fun. Hope to keep it a long time. Like one of my daughter's friends remarked, "The grey-beards get all the good cars."
The grey-beards get all the good cars --- That's priceless
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
One thing I have always noticed, either on this board or others is that when talking about the Z car. Sex is always mentioned. In description or action, if something is hot on the car it gets refereed to as "Sex". I have to agree whole heartedly, our cars are just damn Sexy. Z3, Z4 Z8 all have SEX APPEAL.

Reasons why I love my car.

1. Body Style
2. Sex Appeal.
2. It makes me smile to drive it.
3. For Fun.
4. Beautiful body style.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member

Last edited by STIHLBOLTS; 08-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 roadster
It seems to me that there is a resurgence of going back to a time when driving was more than getting from point A to point B, especially among Boomers. Drivers, of my age (65), have seen a lot of changes in the auto industry over the years, yet we still hold on to the memory of cars from the 60's and 70's with fond admiration. I was never able to afford a Corvette, Mustang, Healy or any muscle car when I was young. College then marriage then kids then kids college got in the way. My Z3 is not of that era, but it lets me enjoy something that has always been a part of my imagination, that is driving down a lonely road with the top down, no music playing, just the sound of the car and my heavy breathing.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
It makes me smile to drive it.

And I bought it, at a point where I really needed something to smile about.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasperl View Post
It seems to me that there is a resurgence of going back to a time when driving was more than getting from point A to point B, especially among Boomers. Drivers, of my age (65), have seen a lot of changes in the auto industry over the years, yet we still hold on to the memory of cars from the 60's and 70's with fond admiration. I was never able to afford a Corvette, Mustang, Healy or any muscle car when I was young. College then marriage then kids then kids college got in the way. My Z3 is not of that era, but it lets me enjoy something that has always been a part of my imagination, that is driving down a lonely road with the top down, no music playing, just the sound of the car and my heavy breathing.
This! I'm 53, and my first car was a '62 MGB Roadster (no, not a typo, the first year with the flip-out door handles instead of the push-button handles) when I was 18. I went on to own many, many British cars. A 65 MGB Roadster, a 67 MGB-GT, a 67 Spitfire, a 67 Rover 2000 TC, a 67 Jag E-type 2+2, an 87 Jag XJ6, a 95 Jag XJ6, a 97 Jag XJ6, etc, etc.

The Z3 Roadster is like a trip back to yesteryear with that quintessential classic roadster feel with all the modern amenities. I miss my old British sports cars, but I also like negative ground, floorboards that are a continuous sheet of metal, a top that actually keep the heat in and the rain out, a heater that actually works, and so on.

I love this car...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
I am only 36, bought my Z back in '08. Being the age that I am I do not remember cars of the 60's and I barely remember cars of the 70's. I bought the Z because it looks stellar and drives beautifully. There is nothing better than being low to the ground, with the drive wheels right near your bottom. Haha!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: z3m
My wife and I just tooka trip down the washinton and oregon coast - 3000 miles from billings MT. During the entire trip we listened to the radio for a total of @ 15 mins. The rest of the trip was the wind, sun & sound of the 3.2L from the 98 black on black Z3. We absolutely love our Z3 and could not imagine life without it. Anybody interested in a road trip thru Montana?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer App
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 roadster
Sometimes I just go sit in the garage and stare at my Z3. I haven't had it very long but am beginning to wonder if that is odd behavior. If it is I don't care. Just wondering is all.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Chuck

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
I've had my '97 2.8 Roadster for about four months. I sold my restored 1980 MGB and after I did I got this sick feeling in my stomach. Then I found my Z3 and now the only time I really think about the B is when the new owner calls me to talk about it. I had a 2008 MCS as my daily driver, but sold it shortly after picking up the Z 'cause I knew I would never be driving it. I LOVE DRIVING MY Z3!! Oops sorry for shouting!!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
2nd year of owning my Z. It's a 3 ltr Roadster.
I'm 59. Nothing better than just going for a drive in good weather.
I recently took my wife on a picnic to a pull out on the side of the road that borders on a River.
Had a great time.
The one thing I do remember is, we never turned the radio on.
I also ocasionally use the Z for work, when the work is out of town and road is twisty and the weather is fine.
I just love the classic roadster style. The power of the engine and the open top.
I don't need to race anyone, but everyone wants to race me at stop lights.
Love my ride.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Why?

Wonderful engine - the BMW non-turbo straight six.
Wonderul styling - classic roadster, with just a little 507 thrown in.
Fun to drive - even if not the absolute best handling sports car out there.
Relatively simple and easy to work on - at least for a modern car.

I have a 1972 Porsche 911 (with the wonderful Porsche flat six), and when I bought my first Z3 I naturally considered the Porsche Boxster. When I discovered that to change the engine air filter you have to disassemble the back part of the convertible top, I just thought that was ridulous and went with the Z3. The new Boxster is apparently even worse for engine access.

After 12-1/2 years, I'm still not tired of the Z3.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 08-20-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Picked up a 2000 2.8 recently and have enjoyed it every time I get a chance. My wife and I took it to the Smoky Mts for a two week trip and it performed beautifully, quick and responsive in the twistys and comfortable on the highways at 80. For a 12year old car she hasn't a squeak or rattle, solid as expected of a BMW . Ran the Natchez Parkway with the top down, what a great relaxing drive. We ran whenever we could with top down and took advantage of the a/c when needed.
This car reminds me of my 65 Corvette convertible similar seating position and feel. I drive her as often as I can, looking forward to autum in Texas.....
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3
Why do I love it?

I've always loved them. Never thought I'd own one, still don't actually. It's in my garage, I'll write the check tomorrow. I'm going to sell the hardtop that comes with it to offset the cost, but I'm excited to own this long nosed-classic-beauty-baby car. I had a red corvette once, it was fast, fun and powerful, but it wasn't very comfortable and I felt like I was driving a mid-life crisis. I already don't feel that way about this car. It makes me smile.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
I love mine for the typical reasons, fast fun to drive, it's nice to drive a manual from time to time. But the reason that gets me the most is that it was my fathers car, and he recently passed away. So I talk to him and image him sitting next to me while I'm driving. He really loved the car, and I plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
I read in an earlier post about a drive through the Smoky Mountains. I live 20 minutes from Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. The moment I realized what exactly I was driving, and how much I was going to love it, was during a cool afternoon drive through those very mountains. The car has proven itself time and time again to be a professional corner wrangler and, if the need arises, will get me where I need to be as quickly as I ask of her.

No matter where I have to go, I am always happy to fire up my Z and begin the journey.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
I made some serious upgrades to the stereo and have a head unit with an iPod interface. I have a playlist called "Road Tunes" with nothing but upbeat fun songs in it. Although I love taking it on long day-trips, it is equally enjoyable after a stressful day at work to hop in, put the top down, and listen to some good music with the sunshine and fresh air. Add to that the awesome responsiveness, and, well, you all know.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0 i
I'm 18 and I just got my Z4 2 weeks ago! I could write a book about why I love it. The dream red leather seats have to be my favorite part, after the way it drives of course. Coming from driving a 2003 mitsubishi montero SUV with no AC to driving my new baby is a dream come true. Knowing that when I get out of work I am driving it home puts a stupid smile on my face. Also, I'm not sure if language is allowed on these forums, I just joined a few mintues ago but my god is it a pu$$y magnet.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
I love the look of the Z3, I love the way that it drives, I love the fact that it is a true sports car!!! I love putting the top down and driving along the ocean coast line from Hampton Beach NH, up through Rye NH into Portsmouth NH..or the opposite way from Portsmouth down to Hampton.. The road is curvy, slightly hilly in areas and right up against the ocean.. The drive is fun, fun, fun and beautiful and the Z3 truly makes it the drive enjoyable..

This is my toy. 1998 (2.8)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
M52B28

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8
I love it because it is a reason for me to be happy in times where its barely possible. When driving my Z3, I'm in heaven, and my fallen brother is right there with me loving the ride. My radio quit and I DONT CARE haha
fail?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Mike

Mein Auto: October 1996 Z3
Love the Z to bits, but in the beginning, it was just a cunning plan.
Got divorced and swapped my Merc for the Z, as I realized that I no longer needed a four door and at my age, the lady I would probably get involved with would probably have kids.
Brilliant only having two seats.