Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 525i wagon
Any more pictures to be posted for us here? I would like to see the stance on the new coilovers. Also I know there are others waiting for more of the build pictures.....Not to be a pushy pest haha. Although I am sure you would rather be out enjoying your vehicle(s) rather than putting pictures online. I love this build, pretty original while still keeping it all BMW.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:18 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
i should have some for you in a few days! im driving the car from auckland to wellington! might make a video or something

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 525i wagon
I just googled your trip (the route you are going). You are going a long way out of your way to get some photos! Thats gonna be a good (long) drive though, I imagine there will be some fantastic back drops though, are you doing all the driving in 1 day?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damengoodsman View Post
I just googled your trip (the route you are going). You are going a long way out of your way to get some photos! Thats gonna be a good (long) drive though, I imagine there will be some fantastic back drops though, are you doing all the driving in 1 day?
its more kilometres, and a lot more windy way, but the time it takes is about the same because you dont have all the Macks and Ivecos to deal with. Google is a bit flawed like that, the open road limit is 100km/h here in NZ, but you cant drive at that speed for a lot of our roads, our open roads are limited to 90km/h for trucks, and every 5kms there is a town so your back down to 50. the way ill be going has minimal towns as its not the "main route"

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM

well, ive had the car for three or four weeks in 100% drivable condition, and all road legal.
ony have four issues to sort out on the car now!:

- have hooked up the stereo so that great!
- somehow stopped the window wipers from going.
- im considering getting some errors flashed out of the body control module, such as the self leveling suspension and rear fog lights, as those errors keep coming up because they are non existent. i dont even know if this is possible however, this is last on the priority list.
- I don't get front fog error, presumably because the E32 the engine/wiring/modules came from didnt have front foglights. The car does have them however, and i need to run wires for those. technically, the car shouldnt have passed a warrant without them going, but never mind.
- car has also developed an oil leak. not all the gaskets were replaced in the process as they are several hundred a piece for this motor so i thought id take the gamble

anyways, here is some photos for you all! im trailing new host settings on Photobucket, so let me know if you cannot see them and ill change. they are also reasonably high resolution so may take a while to load. They are taken with my iPhone 4S as that is currently the best camera i have. im not a photography guy and nor do i claim to be.

There is also a video i made on the same day as doing these photos, and also some clips of it at the track day i did in this car a few weeks back. The car looks slow in that videos and it is. I either do not believe in stupid speeds on public roads, or im not stupid enough to film and post on YouTube, you decide

Lets get into it:

A few of my E34 and my E30 Daily at my work

Hood on....

and hood off

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 03-20-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Andy,

Do you have a build thread that documents procedures and issues? With my M50 taking dump i have given serious thought towards the M70 conversion. Was it a direct bolt on? any computer or wiring issues? did yours come with the trans? which driveshaft did you use? did you use the 750 diff?

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 PM

couldnt possibly fit into one post, send me a PM and ill get back to you when i have some time, im in the middle of exams at the moment

E30 above Sold

Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i E30 1992 (M40)
Buys 316i , loves the fuel economy.

Dumps V12 in E34 and calls it a daily driver.

You are literally insane.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
Buys 316i , loves the fuel economy.

Dumps V12 in E34 and calls it a daily driver.

You are literally insane.
LOL this car WAS a daily driver when it was a humble 520i Auto. but now way too thirsty for daily driving! i brought the 316i in anticipation of completing this car to offset it

E30 above Sold

Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 AM

Just reading through this, i remember deliberately missing answering this post as i had driven it enough to give a rounded answer. But i think I'm qualified to answer this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw3430 View Post

how is it to drive ?
Its actualy a very interesting drive, but i guess its exactly what youd expect.

In a straight line it is no Mitsi Evo off the line, mainly because it is auto, but once the 1700kg is moving, it really rockets off from about 20km/h up to wherever speed you want to get to. all the torque seems to come in around 2000-2500rpm, i have no idea what the factory dyno chart is like, thats just my seat of pants dyno. acceleration to 100km/h from standing still is around 5.5 seconds in sport mode, am in second gear at 100km/h in a sprint.

As for cornering, the XYZs are absolutely fantastic, and i can hold long sweeping turns flat as a pancake, but its still a heavy car of course, so throwing it around like you can throw a worked E30 around is not possible. powering out of corners in 2nd gear you have to be careful too, the back end is still more than happy to kick out even though the car is an automatic. 1st gear can be fun too. but i put that down to having crap tyres on the back at the moment i want to chew out before putting new tyres on.

But despite all this, 90% of the way i drive this car isnt like any of the above. I put the car in drive, dont even use sport mode, and the car never goes over 1500rpm before it shifts to the next gear. I just smoothly accelerate away effortlessly by 12 cylinders and just enjoy the sounds it makes, the very comfy leather sport seats holding me there, and just knowing its a one of a kind car and just enjoying being in it.
Some cars you have to thrash the hell out of to have fun, but i think i enjoy this car for the experience of just being in the car going about the art of driving more than driving the car to see if i can get to X place 3/10ths of a second quicker.
Prehaps this is just a more matured but excessively enthusiastic love for BMWs

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 03-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i E30 1992 (M40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
LOL this car WAS a daily driver when it was a humble 520i Auto. but now way too thirsty for daily driving! i brought the 316i in anticipation of completing this car to offset it
If it were in Thailand a wild LPG tank would strap itself on to it at night while you were sleeping.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Each time I see this thread come up. It makes me feel all sorts of indecent.

Beautiful example of a touring and swap.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 AM

Well, the car died about two weeks ago, so have been in the process of fixing that over this past while. If you dont care to read below, the car is now fixed again and working like it should! otherwise, read journal below ha.

What the car was doing is that it would start up initially, and then cough and splutter out within 10 seconds as though it is running out of fuel. easy problem for any other car right? but not so for this. Because the engine runs as two engines side by side, it has twin EVERYTHING, twin ECUs, twin fuel pumps, even right down to twin crank position sensors. So if any part fails, this engine is designed to shut down that bank that has the error and continue to drive as a straight 6, sort of like a hemi engine i guess. So my problem took a lot of figureing out, what was making the car die completely, but then start up at first turn of the key straight away but keep on dying.
But ultimately my friend Lance suggested that the fuel pumps may be wired backwards, so the fuel pump that is controlled by the passenger bank is actually feeding the drivers bank, and vise versa! this made sence, and so I swapped them over to see what happened, and all of a sudden the car started, idled and drove as a 6 cylinder in its built in limp home mode its designed to do. cool. but im still down 6 cylinders.

Ive decided what was initially a hard engine to work on that it is infact much nicer. Parts are so expencive for this engine as you would expect, but because of the twin management system, when one bank runs fine and the other doesnt, its just a case of swapping parts between banks and seeing if anything changes, and then swapping them back. Did this for almost everything, even dizzy/rotor setups and leads. Then started tracing wires and found 12V where i should, 0V where i should, correct resistances where i should (like 540ohm in the CPS's and 5kohm in the leads, yes i know these off by heart now haha) etc etc. Still nothing.

Then started researching the DME/ECU's them selves. are they bank specific etc or not. Ended up talking to another friend that works at one of the dealerships, and long story shot figured out that they are not in fact specific and are switchable also. so gave that a go and FINALLY a result! the opposite bank of 6 started running and the other side didn't! So quickly ordered another ECU and fitted that, and for now am running on all 12 cylinders once again!

Now i need to figure out why the ECU failed. quite rare for an ECU to die like that, but i think it may be due to the heat extractor fan in the ECU holder box is not wired up/working. I did not think it would be so important, but in hind sight there is twice the manifolds and less space than the E34 box is designed to deal with. But in any case, fitting a fan to the box will be a reletively straight forward exercise, as I work for an eWaste company so can use a pair of computer case fans will do the job nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
If it were in Thailand a wild LPG tank would strap itself on to it at night while you were sleeping.
Ha, LPG you say. Would make it a lot cheaper to run. maybe i should think about that. I wonder if the New Zealand Government still subsidises that conversion, I know they used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
Each time I see this thread come up. It makes me feel all sorts of indecent.

Beautiful example of a touring and swap.
Thanks!!!

E30 above Sold

Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 AM

over the last few days been making the most of no work and tidying up things that are annoying me on the wagon that weren't working or etc from when the engine conversion was done.
started pouring through ETMs and making diagrams/notes of all the little things that don't work in the car. none of these are WOF requirements except technically the foglights must go or not be installed at all, so there was most of a day! haven't got into these yet, thats next weeks job after new years etc.

gutted one of the mufflers on the exhaust, has made it a bit noisier, but still not enough for me so thats going to get a bit more work yet, probably remove the cats next? included roadtrip to my mates place in Te Horo in the trusty 316i, looked very funny with the roof racks on and an E34 exhaust on the roof! good day for it yesterday though.

wound down the adjustable coil overs an inch all round, and wound up the spring rate a bit, looks much tougher now. before anyone asks, yes i measured ride height its inside the cert-plate requirements by the hair of your teeth with noone in the car and an almost empty fuel tank so at least all still road legal. has removed the gap over the front wheels which has been annoying me for ages.

then fitted spacers to the back to push the Schnitzers out, look very cool with -12 offset! surprisingly dont rub normal driving, but if you get on the power the ass squats down of course. might have to leave them on so i dont get tickets ha! might have to get one of you to roll the gaurds when i go to auckland, will have to read up as i dont know what that actually entails, just know its the solution lol. got some 15mm ones for the front but the bolts that came with them, the heads are too long, so will get some custom engineered up.

E30 above Sold

Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
We need you Andy, keep postin' homie!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM

Made it into an Article on the most popular news website in New Zealand!

not a big deal

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...m-a-bimmer-nut

E30 above Sold

Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Uber cool Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Cool man.It's good to be noticed for your hard work and efforts.

Well deserved. Now we have to get you in another one.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Congratulations, Andy! Very cool on so many levels.

The McLaren connection is something I hadn't considered.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
Cool man.It's good to be noticed for your hard work and efforts.

Well deserved. Now we have to get you in another one.
haha thanks!

Have a few ideas in mind for a next project.. but i wont say what i have in mind because it may not eventuate etc.

This car is at a stage where i would be happy never to mod it again, but also do have a few more ideas of what I want to do with it. The interior needs some work, eg the headlining is sagging a bit and i have a set of M5 bucket seats for it but they aren't cream leather. so its either that or.... the magical b word. but before more power comes I need to make up some triangulated strut braces front and back as it does flex a bit under power, you can feel it and sometimes. being a wagon it doesn't have a rear firewall over where the power is, so all the weight/tourque in on the rear shock towers with nothing to stop them coming closer together.

but my new years resolution this year isn't to focus on cars and accept the cars ive got. we will see how long that lasts. I have wheels and suspension for my E30 all ready to go when i get round to it, but its nice having a totally stock turnkey daily.

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 01-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 530,m6,633
i am sure glad you are in NZ because here in the states we take car jacking very serious and i dont want to become some prison bitch because i wouuld have to take that car........very very nice
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
So when does the 316 to 335 conversion begin M30 3 series and an M70 5'er
nope, no M30 conversion for that car.

In fact, i have just listed it for sale, i have a van now which is my work vehicle.

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 03-05-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM

well, this car will be going to its first official car show this coming Saturday, which also happens to be on my 21st birthday.
And to make it all the more special, it will be exactly 5 years to the day i brought my first BMW. Yes, i won the auction for my first one on my 16th birthday

will be some professional photographers there, so hopefully it catches someones attention!

should be good

not sure what plates to run on the day though? i have ETHRTY which i will put on my 316i which is also going along. so the choice is either
ZWÖLF (12 in german), or
SCHNITZER

both are black background red text

what you guys think?

E30 above Sold

Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Zwolf

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 AM

well, picked up my front kit and kidney panel from the paint shop this afternoon. just waiting on a few more brand new parts for this car and then i can put the front back together again.

have installed 4x brand new hella headlamps and indicators, a lot better than the old pitted ones. even brought brand new chrome kidneys, they should be arriving tomorrow.

And i also FINALLY got round to rolling the rear gaurds today, but i did it in the, well, not so traditional way. because i dont own a guard roller, and i refuse to pay $250 for a machine i will use once, i decided to get out my heat gun and club hammer and give that a go. because I have never heard of this neanderthal way of doing it working, i will detail my process below, because my process actually worked.

Because the chinese crap tyres currently on the back of my car still have a lot of tread, my head wont let me change them untill i chew them out a bit more. so they stay there, and i have fitted 25mm bolt-on spacers on the back.
in combination with the et+13 8.5" Schnitzers, this takes my rear wheel offset out to -12. yes you read right. as you can imagine, it is almost undriveable like this. it will cruise along fine, but as soon as you get on the power a bit, the torque squats the butt of the car down and it scrape's. but because the gathering im going to isnt a driving meet, and also its literally 1km from my house (i live very very close to the center of my town), it is okay for that.

But what it does do is prove my theory that the 255 wide tyres will work, as they will be 10mm wider on each side to what they are currently, combined with a 15mm spacer i intend to run, i will have to pull the gaurds slightly at some stage to get the setup i want. but what i will probably do is fit the AC Schnitzer arch caps that you usually see on E34 S5s. if the kit was on a normal E34, it doesnt have the caps, only the S5's have the caps.

so there we have it. next post will have some pics of the day, and the one after it will be the proffessional shots

--

How I Rolled My Gaurds:
i first used a hearth brush to brush out the lips of the gaurds, and made sure they were all clean. you do not want dirt, especially wet dirt, trapped inside there as you will come back a year later and find the gaurd is rusted out. I then used the heat gun and got the whole rear gaurd warm to the point where it was too hot to touch, and then put a leather glove on my left hand and started beating the lip up with my right. the gaurds are factory folded in most E34s, but this car isn't. im not sure if this is because its a touring, or because it was originally a 520i. in any case, worked it right round, and then went back over it and made sure it was all flat inside the guard. from the outside, you cannot even tell, so that is a really good result.
so yes, i do recommend this, but you MUST use heat! this makes the paint soft and malleable, so that it doesn't crack with the change in shape. of course, it goes with out saying, you let it cool down by it self and DO NOT decide that its a good time to hose down your car.

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 03-07-2013 at 02:04 AM.