Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Unfortunately, recalls only happen when the malfunction can cause safety issues while driving. This being merely an annoyance, it probably won't happen.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
So I recorded what I'd been hearing and posted it to YouTube.

There's some squealing around the :30 mark where I turn right. This one almost sounds metal on metal. There is a slight "normal" brake squeal I think at :36.

Then from 1:00 until the end there is major squealing which also sounds metal on metal.

Any input?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Daboogster
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
335i Squeek/Squeal

I solved it by putting on aftermarket drilled & slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads. No more brake dust either!

My original rear driver's side brake was not lubed correctly by BMW, and was very dry. So only one side of the caliper was pressing against the rotor. It wore much worse than all the other brake pads and since the wear sensor was on the other side, it wound up trashing the rotor(!)

Everything is done correctly now (by me). It is rather easy to change the brakes and rotors, takes about two hours. The hardest thing was getting the aluminum wheels off the steel hubs. BMW and my dealer did not place any anti-seize or plastic separator between the aluminum and steel. I don't think I've hit anything so hard so many times with a rubber hammer in my life as I did hitting that back wheel! One of my car guru friends said next time to loosen the wheel nuts a small amount then drive the car around the block to pop the wheels loose from the hubs without popping a blood vessel.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkirath View Post

Then from 1:00 until the end there is major squealing which also sounds metal on metal.

Any input?
The first one sounded exactly like what I had on my 335i, only it would whine for extended amounts of time... The minute on one sounds like something is grinding almost. I'd be in the dealer and if they gave it back unfixed keep taking it back with new videos. It took me 3 tries to get that service report I posted (which I haven't had an issue since )

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I had this issue, took it to the dealership. They found the issue to be a sensor touching the rotor or something like that. They fixed it and no squeal so far!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i premium pkg
Replace the control arms. Should fix the problem. Worked for me. 28k later still no ****ing bull**** noises.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
No squeak here.

Isn't BMW's sensor designed to complete a circuit (to the rotor) when the pads are nearly gone? Some pads have a tab that, when pads are nearly worn out, contact the rotor to create a warning squeal.

Here's something.

Does it sound like this?

Could try this!

Yes.

I actually had the squeal and completely forgot about it when I recently brought the car in for regular service as indicated by my idrive. Funny enough, my rear brakes said I wasn't due for rear brake service until 9000 miles but I mentioned to my SA that in 88k miles, I haven't had the rear rotors replaced. Since the idrive said the "vehcile check" was due, I asked him in checking the vehicle, do they check the brakes. He said they do and I asked him to check the rotors.

Anyways, when I got my car back, they replaced rear rotors, pads, and sensors. Pads were at 2mm and I believe the rotors were at 19.2mm. Both measurements were below spec so they replaced them.

Ever since then I have't had the squeal and at first I completely forgot about it until recently. So for me, it seems that it was tied to the brakes or something was affected while they replaced the rear brakes.

To note for those of you with the squeal, I only noticed hearing the squeal up to about 20mph. After that, it seemed to disappear.

Good luck.

Last edited by bam; 04-25-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 335i
Anyone find a more permanent solution for this? Getting kind of desperate having people I pass by putting their hands over their ears, pretty embarrassing to deal with this every day. I've taken it to dealership multiple times Sterling Newport Beach, CA, only to have it come back after a replacing the pads. They've filed down the sensors, that helped for a while. But eventually it comes back within a couple thousand miles. It's definitely not the pads themselves as many have mentioned, it happens when coasting without the brakes applied around 10-15 mph. Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I take mine to Shelly BMW in Buena Park. They have tried it all. Longest lasting fix was some anti brake squeal paste on the pads but 400-500 miles later...IT'S BACK!!!! I can't fricken' stand it! Only other option is different pads and rotors. Maybe it is the brake material and a little harder pad may not do it. I have repaired all my car's brakes and never had an issue like this. I was thinking sensor wear as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Try some ceramic pads. I have used them for about 48K miles and never any noise. They are only a little more expensive and stop very well. Also no dust.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
EH I guess I'll contribute.
Most likely cause (as someone already posted) is vibration of the brake pad against caliper / other hardware.
I have the same issue in my Acura, as expected, the issue is not limited to BMW's.
I have a feeling it's a mix of improper lubrication and slider pins having very old and hard lube... we'll see if cleaning / re-lubricating everything fixes it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 AM
new to BMW life

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
EH I guess I'll contribute.
Most likely cause (as someone already posted) is vibration of the brake pad against caliper / other hardware.
I have the same issue in my Acura, as expected, the issue is not limited to BMW's.
I have a feeling it's a mix of improper lubrication and slider pins having very old and hard lube... we'll see if cleaning / re-lubricating everything fixes it.
that is EXACTLY where squeal comes from. a bit of silicone between the pad & caliper and anti seeze on the pins will solve it. I do this on all disc brake jobs does not matter BMW or whatever....
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 AM
new to BMW life

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
when changing to new pads does anyone re-use the brake sensor? or just get new ones?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
Try some ceramic pads. I have used them for about 48K miles and never any noise. They are only a little more expensive and stop very well. Also no dust.
Can you tell us which pads you used and what else you changed on your e90/92 to fix this problem? Also were they all aftermarket? Some were mentioning there was a newer sensor and components out there that are less prone to the problem. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
I take mine to Shelly BMW in Buena Park. They have tried it all. Longest lasting fix was some anti brake squeal paste on the pads but 400-500 miles later...IT'S BACK!!!! I can't fricken' stand it! Only other option is different pads and rotors. Maybe it is the brake material and a little harder pad may not do it. I have repaired all my car's brakes and never had an issue like this. I was thinking sensor wear as well.
Yes me too. All the service techs say it's an e90/92 design flaw relating to the positioning of the sensor, yet they don't know how to fix it except to file down the sensor on a full brake change, but it always comes back. I don't care if they don't cover it under warranty or CPO and I have to pay out of pocket, I just want to get it fixed.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5chris View Post
Can you tell us which pads you used and what else you changed on your e90/92 to fix this problem? Also were they all aftermarket? Some were mentioning there was a newer sensor and components out there that are less prone to the problem. Thanks!
I just ordered pads, rotors, and sensors from Advance Auto. The pads were the top of the line that Advance offers but I can't recall the brand. The rotors were just a mid grade not the top or the cheapest. The sensor was the only one they had. If I recall the Bentley said not to grease the slides but I didn't read that until after I had already done it. I just used all purpose grease.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman15 View Post
that is EXACTLY where squeal comes from. a bit of silicone between the pad & caliper and anti seeze on the pins will solve it. I do this on all disc brake jobs does not matter BMW or whatever....
Well... I fixed my issue in my car.
No more squealing. Of course, it required a full Saturday of overhauling the front brakes completely.
Cleaned and re-lubricated slider pins.
Cleaned and re-seated the brake piston (new rubber parts).
Filed down the pad elbows to make sure they fit snugly into the brass retention springs. This is important, the fit is not supposed to be so tight that you hammer pads in, supposed to slide by hand.
Bled the system around. Next project: rear pads.
Good luck, this took hours but the brakes feel like on a brand new car - made huge difference.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Well... I fixed my issue in my car.
No more squealing. Of course, it required a full Saturday of overhauling the front brakes completely.
Cleaned and re-lubricated slider pins.
Cleaned and re-seated the brake piston (new rubber parts).
Filed down the pad elbows to make sure they fit snugly into the brass retention springs. This is important, the fit is not supposed to be so tight that you hammer pads in, supposed to slide by hand.
Bled the system around. Next project: rear pads.
Good luck, this took hours but the brakes feel like on a brand new car - made huge difference.
What he said, or find a good independent BMW repair shop. The 'indies' (if you can find a good one) tend to be real mechanics, not just part changers.

I have an '07.5, 52K miles, w. ceramic pads to cut dust. Never any squeaks.

You can sometimes fix the issue with the brake equivalent of an "Italian Tune Up. 10 quick stops from 60-70. You should smell the brakes, if you don't, do it again harder.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Mine has this problem. Dealership replace the rear pads/rotors and sensor but problem still there. Only happens up to 25mph and any faster the squeaking noise goes away. Really annoying but I guess I have to live with it. This remind me of my old G37S....all G37S has a annoying squeaking while going in reverse due to its larger break design.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Aside from the break dust, I can not stand this issue about my car. It has to be inherent to the design. Only thinng that makes sense is to try new rotors and different brake pads to see what happens. BMW replaces both of mine every time but sound comes back around 500 miles later which makes me think brake pad contact issue. What a fricken' pain!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I used to think that this was a sensor issue but the more I work on these cars, the more I think it's just people driving habits. People ride the brakes and glaze them over. That's where the noise comes from.

Some hard stops will get you some fresh pad material and the squealing should go away.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Some hard stops will get you some fresh pad material and the squealing should go away.
This is a problem that effects thousands of vehicles, you're just seeing a small sample of people who post on the forums. The others just live with it as there's no other options. Try owning one and dealing with it on a daily basis. Where do you live? I will prove to you this is not simply a matter of hard braking a couple of times.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335 coupe
335 brake squeal

Have a 2007 335, 73,000 miles, replaced pads and rotors around 64000, silent ever since.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to msilva3760
Mein Auto: 2002, 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJing408 View Post
Mine has this problem. Dealership replace the rear pads/rotors and sensor but problem still there. Only happens up to 25mph and any faster the squeaking noise goes away. Really annoying but I guess I have to live with it. This remind me of my old G37S....all G37S has a annoying squeaking while going in reverse due to its larger break design.
Anj i feel your pain i have '09 335i (CPO) convertible it has been in/out for the last 5 months same damn issue. dealer has replaced all front and cleaned rear, problem still persists... i am thinking BMW defect... my issue 0-15mph squeals after that its fine.. Crazy, but the BMW certified part replacing techs can seem to find the answer in the tech manual.. time to trade in the beast...
Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to msilva3760
Mein Auto: 2002, 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Aside from the break dust, I can not stand this issue about my car. It has to be inherent to the design. Only thinng that makes sense is to try new rotors and different brake pads to see what happens. BMW replaces both of mine every time but sound comes back around 500 miles later which makes me think brake pad contact issue. What a fricken' pain!
dude dont waste your $$ on rotors, dealer reluctently replaced both front rotors, pads etc. issue still persists, sorry