Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Shuttering

Hello,

I have an 06 X3 with 85K on it. I just took it back to the dealer for the 3th time to try and fix this issue. When accelerating onto the highway, up a hill or passing another car, the X3 starts shuttering/shaking. It usually starts to happen above 3K RPM.

So far they have replaced the o2 sensors, cleaned the fuel injector and replaced a flow valve.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!!

Aaron
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
You may need to have your dme and egs software updated at the dealer. Another member here had a similar problem and that solved the issue.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: x3
$6500!!!

Dealer informed me today that the transmission needs to be replaced. Crazy. My last BMW.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by areiser View Post
Dealer informed me today that the transmission needs to be replaced. Crazy. My last BMW.
That's what I was afraid of. My last automatic started doing that and it was TCC shudder. I'm so sick to death with automatics just laying down with no warning that I'm done with them. In my 40 years of driving I have never had a manual tranny fail. They'll get worn, noisy and hard to shift but they keep soldiering on. When a clutch begins to fail it will give you some warning and if driven carefully will last a very, very, long time. Plus you can push start a manual tranny.

We are retired and have put 98,000 miles on our '09 manual tranny X3. We have the wanderlust, consider every mile part of the destination, and routinely find ourselves thousands of miles from home. I've had so many automatics fail over the years that I had gotten where I spent more time feeling for irregularities that I did enjoying the trip. I no longer do that. I know that my tranny is just a box of gears, bearings and shifter forks with no hydraulics, internal clutches, bands, or servo's to fail.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3 MSport, 04 M3,89 M3
The biggest issue with Autos is that fact that they are not maintained. You have to flush the fluid and often. My family has owned many Auto BMW's all years from 75'-2008' and never had issues with them but I change the fluid every 20,000 miles always
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MsportX3 View Post
The biggest issue with Autos is that fact that they are not maintained. You have to flush the fluid and often. My family has owned many Auto BMW's all years from 75'-2008' and never had issues with them but I change the fluid every 20,000 miles always
Automatic transmissions are filled with parts that have a very limited life. In the industry they are called "soft parts". When these items wear out the entire transmission has to be rebuilt. When you change the fluid in an automatic you'll see gray mud all over the pan magnet. This is metal from the intermediate plates and the dark color in the fluid is clutch material. All the fluid changes in the world will not keep this from happening as the apply and release of the clutch packs always causes wear regardless of the condition of the fluid. I'm glad your family has had good luck with your automatic transmissions. But I have not and do not like putting the car in gear only to hear a high pitched whine and/or have nothing happen in a motel parking lot the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by usaret; 09-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3 MSport, 04 M3,89 M3
I didnt mean that they would last forever just by changing the fluid but that there life is extended.