Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
04 745

Looks like im having same issues with alternator dis you all order the wet one
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Did*
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrberretta View Post
Looks like im having same issues with alternator dis you all order the wet one
What do you mean "wet one"
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 7601
Help: Engine Shutoff Automatically and shows no faults .

My 2005 760i is having a hard time idling and staying on when it first starts. The engine will shutoff at a stop sign after I have pressed the gas and the car has stared to move, but all of the sudden everything shuts off ad the steering locks. At this point I have to completely take the key out and re start the car but when it tries to restart is has a real hard time getting going and sometimes I have to press the gas to help it get going. this happens every morning at the same stop sign but the car will run great the rest of the day at high speed and will sometimes do the same on the way back from work at the same stop sign from my work side.

The system shows no fault at all.....

Please help I have put a new fuel pump and its still doing it.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 AM

My car a 2002 745i just lost all function on the cluster, non of the dials are working, onboard computer and the transmission went into leamp mode, wat could the problem be, I changed the alternator but theres still no display of gears, it just flashes those arrows, please help
Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemoney View Post
My car a 2002 745i just lost all function on the cluster, non of the dials are working, onboard computer and the transmission went into leamp mode, wat could the problem be, I changed the alternator but theres still no display of gears, it just flashes those arrows, please help
You need to have someone with a diagnostic tool like INPA to plug into your ODB and see if they can communicate with the instrument cluster. If there is no communication it means that either the cluster is bad or something has potentially gone wrong with your wiring or the central gateway in the car.

The central gateway for communication between all the modules in the car is the ZGM gateway. If the central gateway goes bad it wil cause this type of issue as well. I iremembr once I was updating a module on the car with the car on and the instrument cluster did the same thing yours is doing because while I was updating the module other communication through the central gateway module was interupted.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:14 PM
TonyLondonUk***127468;*** 127463;

Hi guys Iv just posted a thread about this not sure if you can find it easily however this is my problem then i state what Iv done as today

Car BMW 745i 2002, 117k (London uk)

Problem: in traffic car RPMs go high stresses to change gear won't go above 3rd also the Manuel gear changes won't select,
Also error msg reads Transmission over heating bla lbs bla, Temps in London today was 28c HOT for uk

After 20mins parking up start the cars fine drive 45mins then hit traffic again traffic it go's in (failsafe) error but no error message meaning sticky gears high rpm won't go above 3,

What Iv done by indy BMW with diagnostics
Changed oil filter & oil 3 days later no change same again!
Had a read investigated over filled maybe? Yes 1.5ltr over filed waste of money oh well
2 days after that noticed Iv always had low battery come up if ignition left in so I went to BMW
& purchased a "AGM BMW original battery" 280 fitted & registered to car
NOTE no error messages on diagnostic no serious ones just rear interior light etc as such
2days after that did more investigating,
SLEEVE & ADAPTOR on machatronics installed new oil tranny (stinks of garlic) drained & put back correctly
Drive for 45mins in hear ac on max in traffic & AGAIN hard gear rpm won't go passed 3rd
BUT as soon as I was moving a little more closer to home it went out of fail safe & back to normal,
Iv not done the so called guibo joint or flex adaptor indy had a peek it looks fine plus I doubt. Very much it can be that causing tranny overheat & Iv not checked the alternator? Reading this thread Iv learnt that it may be the cause ? Iv had no stuck in gears problem & no other error messages
I am out if pocket some 500/600 on this now if anything most of the main 7 probd Iv had & fixed
Including the vally pipe death, BMW quoted 5k plus cost me 1100 part orders from USA that expands job done!
My cars in great shape in the morning did the 45sec hold down gas but in traffic in heat it go's silly
Please please please please any ideas or have I missed anything I don't want to go guessing anymore & try things that don't work like today cost me 149 for parts that didn't fail (mack sleeve & adaptor) labour etc
Really wanted to fix this & take my wife to Paris for her 36th but I am highly not trusting the BMW what so ever!!!
Thanks for reading please if you know something or heard of this b4 let us know direct msg email or reply is welcome!!!

in traffic
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Sorry to hear about your issues.
Guibo joint/flex disk will not solve your transmission overheating problems. You need to make sure the tranny fluid isn't too low. When you changed the fluid did you change the pan which has the filter built in? I don't recall reading that or maybe I missed it. Is the shop able to pull codes? It may give you a better indication of what's happening. Could be the solenoids but again if they can read the codes when it goes into the failsafe mode, it would help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

For those like that love INK checkout join
Myinkedspace.com with my referral code and enjoy

http://myinkedspace.com/?ref=REF65900
Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 AM
TonyLondonUk***127468;*** 127463;

Thanks for reply,
Yep Iv changed the pan also checked twice the fluid level changed the sleeve & adaptor
+1 no error codes show up, car cold drives superb once wArms up in traffic drives like a old dog meaning gearbox rpm then error tranny overheat
I think she needs to go because it's an unknown situation nobody has any clues
Wish I had the extra cash for px for anything that works & is reliable
You'd think there's an explanation somewhere lol 2014
We could do repairs in space hanging from a tight rope but not on a car that has been around since 2002 hmmm