Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Gabrielle

Mein Auto: '06 330ci ZHP
Mixing PS & PS2?

It's a long and unfortunate story why, but I have one year old (~10,000 miles) Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear of my 330ci ZHP and brand new PS2s up front. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on mixing these tires? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
I used to run the opposite. PS1 on the front and PS2 in the rear, it works, however the PS2s tramline more than the PS1s so just expect them to groove more when running over surfaces. Otherwise, that combo works out. For reference I was running them on my 05 330i ZHP with the staggered setup similar to your car- Fronts= 225/40/18 and Rears= 255/35/18 then a year later 265/35/18- both rear tire replacements were PS2s. It took me a year and a half to wear out my PS1 fronts then went PS2s all around. However, in your case since the rears wear out faster 3 times to 1 vs the fronts you'll be running PS2s all around within half a year with the mileage on your PS1s.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
For awhile I had a different tire on every corner (long story). I had a PS2 on front left, Kumho on front right, Potenza on back right and some no name brand on the back left. Car actually drove quite well.

On my mustangs I used to find it dangerous to put grippier tires up front than in the back, but on a BMW, they are pretty forgiving. I think you will be fine.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li & 650i
You should be fine. I wouldnt do different brands but this should be just fine.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
As others have said, you'll be fine.

Just a suggestion: if you have a square setup (not staggared), you should put the best pair on the rear. Pretty much everyone (including tirerack) says that that is what you should do for maximum stability.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If you`re running the stock ZHP staggered setup, the question has already answered itself. In the dry, it`s not an issue....in the wet, it most certainly IS an issue....different tread patterns and rubber compounds can have very different adhesion levels in the wet, which can cause hydroplaning when you least expect it....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
If you`re running the stock ZHP staggered setup, the question has already answered itself. In the dry, it`s not an issue....in the wet, it most certainly IS an issue....different tread patterns and rubber compounds can have very different adhesion levels in the wet, which can cause hydroplaning when you least expect it....
Good point.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
The PS1 (v groove center) vs PS2 (double line grooves) patterns are very similar not much diff in the rain. However, the PS2s have a higher grip quotient which will cause under or over depending on where they are. For my setup it was understeer because they were on the rear. But you don't see this difference in regular driving, only on auto-x or track.

As I've mentioned the tranlining on the PS2s are more noticeable compared to anything else.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Gabrielle

Mein Auto: '06 330ci ZHP
A little background may change the response... I have a baby now which as a mom means 1.) my track days are pretty much over and 2.) on occasion I may have precious cargo in the back of that car so it cannot be unsafe for regular driving in wet/dry conditions (I do have an SUV and separate snow tires/wheels for winters in NJ). Considering this, and framing the question again as more of a safety/handling issue vs. a high performance issue, does it change the response? Not that I want to give up performance, just more concerned about control. Really appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Yes, it changes safety/handling issues, but I'd not worry if you don't drive aggressively with precious in the back.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Yes, it changes safety/handling issues, but I'd not worry if you don't drive aggressively with precious in the back.
+1, keep it under 7/10ths and you will be fine. For reference, when I had that setup my son rode with me all the time in his carseat from 1-2 years old.

No snow, in NorCal, so only rain experience and it was fine.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
PS1 mixed with PS2 - I wouldn't sweat it!

..but if you do, there is a very good market for used Michelin tires out there.

Last edited by mawana; 09-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Its nice to have all new tires at the same time. However, the tires wear at different rates so you'll eventually be at a place where the tires are different front to rear. Mixing front to rear isn't a bad thing either, as long as the tires have roughly the same amount of grip. Mixing summer tires with winters or all seasons wouldn't be good as then one end could have much more/less traction than the other and cause a spin. Commercial trucks usually run different tires front to rear since the tires do different jobs. The front tires are "steer" and the rears are "drive".
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................