Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Z3 - List of parts to replace

My beautiful little red monster is slowly becoming a "father-son" project car while maintaining the daily-driver aspect.
There has been some discussion on adding a little hitch to the giddy up with a turbo.
Both of us are all too aware of the dangers (to the engine and driver) of adding such a set up; which has not diverted our thoughts in the slightest. We have also mulled over the cost and realize its going to be a lump of change.
In my research, I have compiled a list of parts that need to be checked and/or replaced. A fairly long list.
The engine itself, as I have read, should be stripped and inspected with a fine tooth comb.
The cluth would be a necessary, as well as an in depth look into brakes and suspension.
We have been under and over the car for a prelimenary inspection of troubled spots for the Z. For being as old as it is it remains very solid.

Are there any parts or areas that need to be brought to the forefront of our attention?
Any parts that would be crucial to replace?
And any thing/part to aid in power delivery or ease of use?

I'm relying on a heavy dose of BMW community members and my father's (and his friend's) mechanical know-how.

Any guidance, as always, is very very much appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Most people seem to prefer a supercharger to the turbo setups. Less lag, more linear power delivery. But you don't say which engine you have.

Suspension is a good thing to upgrade. You can go from mild to WILD. Depends on your budget and desires. Mild is Koni or Bilstein shocks and H&R Sport springs. WILD is a TC Kline setup. Awesome, but not cheap.

There are some things you can do to the brakes. Stainless steel lines are good. Otherwise a good set of pads and fluid flush should be enough.

As for what to replace, depending on the engine, water pump, thermostat housing are good to do if you are approaching 60K miles. At about 100K you want to replace the radiator and expansion tank.

As part of the upgrades, replace bushings as you go.

Check the trunk floor for pulled spot welds. If you find any, look at the Randy Forbes mod. There are pictures in threads here of what to look for.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)

Last edited by Pinecone; 09-15-2012 at 01:33 AM.