Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 E36 320i
1991 E36 320i Dirt Track race car, no start???

Hi Guys,

Very new here, and to the world of Bmw's, actually to the world of efi, and modernish auto electronics. Ok, as the title suggests, i am building a dirt track race car from a 1991 E36 320i sedan that i got given to me. First thing we did was to gut the car as much as possible, so everything came out, including about 35kg of wiring. To take the wiring out, we cut a wire, then made sure that the car still ran, then cut another wire, then made sure it still ran, etc... so I now have only the essential wiring for the engine, fuel pump etc. I have a new dash mounted between the trans tunnel, and the lower windscreen bar of my roll cage, with switches for the ignition, fuel pump cut off, and thermo fan, along with a few gauges and warning lights etc... Anyway, with all this installed, all i had to do was turn on the ignition switch, and the fuel switch, and press the starter button, and the car still ran fine, no dramas at all. Then some numb nut forgot to disconnect the battery, and did some welding on the car, (i am a professional boilermaker/welder by trade and have done this thousands of times and never blown a computer yet), now it won't start. I have checked all the relays and they are fine, i can power the fuel pump directly at the dash, bypassing the ecu, and the pump pumps, i have power to the coil packs with the ignition on, but don't seem to be getting a spark signal to the coils, and the computer won't allow the fuel pump to work when i hit the starter button as it used to, unless i power the fuel pump directly as i said before. So, i am of the assumption that i have blown my ecu. I got a spare ecu off ebay, but when it turned up it had a different number than what the add said, and it still won't start the car. the ecu number from the original is 0 261 200 403, can i install a performance chip to fix the problem, or do i still need to replace the ecu? Also are there any other numbered ecu's that will work in my car as this number seems to be a hard one to find?

thankyou very much in advance for any help offered,

Matt (weasle).
Ads by Google