Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabar View Post
he was trying to make u fill better by saying that
Lol nah i told him to be honest it wont hurt my feelings
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Lol nah i told him to be honest it wont hurt my feelings
Really sorry to hear about your car troubles. I hope that it's something minor and cheap.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Major

Thx bro nothing is cheap with 7 i hope it wont take one month to find the problem
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Thx bro nothing is cheap with 7 i hope it wont take one month to find the problem
I try and do as much of my own work as possible, but once you get to some of the real difficult stuff (Vanos, timing chain, etc) I would bring it to my Indy. We all know that we can get f****d at any time without any warning. That's why you have to factor this cr*p into owning one of these cars. I do have to say that from the outside your car looks great. Like the rear spoilers and rims. Car looks pristine.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Major

look at this vid. my car sounded exactly the same and it says in the comments timing belt guide was loose any idea how to fix it

Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
I try and do as much of my own work as possible, but once you get to some of the real difficult stuff (Vanos, timing chain, etc) I would bring it to my Indy. We all know that we can get f****d at any time without any warning. That's why you have to factor this cr*p into owning one of these cars. I do have to say that from the outside your car looks great. Like the rear spoilers and rims. Car looks pristine.
Thx for the compliments man. Shes my baby and i really take care of her.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Major

After a bit of research im 90% sure its my timing chain. So who has and idea here how badly i need to bend over to fix it now
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Quote:
After a bit of research im 90% sure its my timing chain. So who has and idea here how badly i need to bend over to fix it now
Ewwwww, that's not good.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Trying to be positive here.

1. My alternator sounded just like the video. Your alt could have froze up and is toasted.

2. Could be the starter

3 could be that a idler pulley broke, did all the belts looked ok.

4. If it is the chain that requires removal of a ton of stuff to get to it, I have not seen many of these motors fail in this area, the e38 yes, this car no. I have read a couple threads on replacing the guides but never the chain.

Did you get a chance to run any codes?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post

1. My alternator sounded just like the video. Your alt could have froze up and is toasted.

2. Could be the starter

4. If it is the chain that requires removal of a ton of stuff to get to it, I have not seen many of these motors fail in this area, the e38 yes, this car no. I have read a couple threads on replacing the guides but never the chain.

Sounds like it could be the Vanos rattle also, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Ewwwww, that's not good.
Check out this video of a knocking alternator. Did it sound like the noise was coming from the drivers side? Now that I think about it if your car won't even turn over it may be more likely that it's your alternator.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Major

Quote:

2. Could be the starter

Ouch
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Check out this video of a knocking alternator. Did it sound like the noise was coming from the drivers side? Now that I think about it if your car won't even turn over it may be more likely that it's your alternator.

Yup is sounds like my car (( and if u rev it knocking was louder.
I hope its my alternator. Plus i was playing with hidden menu one day and decided to check my voltage it was running at 12xxxx i came online and ask rookie to go to gis car and check his car for me. His was at 14xxxx. He asked his indy tech and the guy said battery is going dead, but i replaced battery just couple weeks b4 that. As the car was sitting for a year and drained battery completely. Plus car throws ebrake fault now and then after i shut the car off. But it works fine i can engage it and disengage it no problem. So maybe ur right its alternator. I just didnt know it sounds like that when it goes bad. Plus it was a really hot day today and i was in a area with a lot of traffic. I really appreciate all u help and ideas. Really means a lot. It sux that i have to go out of town for work till october.
One more thing. U guys say to read the codes, i hooked inpa but everything seems to be ok. There is no engine light or anything
Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 PM

Kief did a write up about the n62, the chains and sprockets were updated on the n62 that used a newer designed sprocket that would not eat the chain like the e38 m62 motor.

I doubt it's the chain, but who knows. My educated throw at the dart board is that your alternator froze up. That would be a good thing compared to the chain.

If the replacement of the chain is anything like the m62 e38 it again is a lot of work, there are a ton of e38 write ups on bimmerforums. And e38.org.

Did you run any codes?????or go directly to the shop with the car!

Keep us updated.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 PM

What year is your car

Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Major

I went to the shop with the towtruck my laptop was in the car i hooked it up and ran inpa but i wasnt sure what i was looking for i can go tmrw and check if somebody can tell me what exactly i should be looking for
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Major

Its late 03 e66
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
If the car is not turning over at all I would say it's your alternator. Remove the alternator belt and try starting the car. Most likely the alternator seized but it didnt snap the belt. With a seized alternator the car will not turn over.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yup is sounds like my car (( and if u rev it knocking was louder.
I hope its my alternator. Plus i was playing with hidden menu one day and decided to check my voltage it was running at 12xxxx i came online and ask rookie to go to gis car and check his car for me. His was at 14xxxx. He asked his indy tech and the guy said battery is going dead, but i replaced battery just couple weeks b4 that. As the car was sitting for a year and drained battery completely. Plus car throws ebrake fault now and then after i shut the car off. But it works fine i can engage it and disengage it no problem. So maybe ur right its alternator. I just didnt know it sounds like that when it goes bad. Plus it was a really hot day today and i was in a area with a lot of traffic. I really appreciate all u help and ideas. Really means a lot. It sux that i have to go out of town for work till october.
One more thing. U guys say to read the codes, i hooked inpa but everything seems to be ok. There is no engine light or anything
An Alternator is about $800 for a remanufactured one plus labor if you can't do it yourself. I think the shop would charge you more than $800 if they get the part as they always like to make money on both sides. Not sure what the labor costs would be.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Its late 03 e66
My e66 is a late 2003 also.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
If the car is not turning over at all I would say it's your alternator. Remove the alternator belt and try starting the car. Most likely the alternator seized but it didnt snap the belt. With a seized alternator the car will not turn over.
Amazing news. But i just stopped to let ppl across the road and car just stopped and engine wouldn't start after that. If its 1500$ its ok i dont mind paying that car has 160000 kms on it i think its time for alternator to die

Last edited by ***CCCP***; 09-15-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I went to the shop with the towtruck my laptop was in the car i hooked it up and ran inpa but i wasnt sure what i was looking for i can go tmrw and check if somebody can tell me what exactly i should be looking for
Just read all the errors on the car. It's the top option in INPA when you chose E65. It think it says "functional" or something like that. That will read all the errors on the car when you use the error menu in there. If you see any errors in the DME you can then access the DME under "N62" engine options in INPA and read the error in there....that will usually give you a more descriptive code.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
Just read all the errors on the car. It's the top option in INPA when you chose E65. It think it says "functional" or something like that. That will read all the errors on the car when you use the error menu in there. If you see any errors in the DME you can then access the DME under "N62" engine options in INPA and read the error in there....that will usually give you a more descriptive code.
I did that i saw dme error didnt know what the hell it means. Ill go there tmrw and check it. Thx man.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM

When my alternator went bad the car was running, did you hear this noise before...... Still drove the car.....then it died?

Mine sounded more like a rod was pushing up threw the head, really loud and scared the $hit out of me as I only owned the car for 4 days.

You have the entertainment package and heated seats the car will have the 180 amp alternator. Sometime in 2003 BMW switched out the water cooled unit??????

I have the water cooled alt in my car and paid 700.00 for the part plus 3 hrs labor, plus tax. Ran about 1100.00.

You can call BMW with your vin and see what part you need. I read that pep boys or another parts house carries a remanufactured alternator for our cars for about 580.00 for the water cooled. It is a duralast???? Don't recall..it did come with a lifetime warrantee where the Bosch has a two year.

I didn't have any faults on my car, no lights, nothing..... Just bang, bang, bang, bang......

Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Amazing news. But i just stopped to let ppl across the road and car just stopped and engine wouldn't start after that. If its 1500$ its ok i dont mind paying that car has 160000 kms on it i think its time for alternator to die
If the alternator seized you should be happy it happened at idle. If it happened when you were driving fast it would have snapped the belt as well. When a belt snaps it can fly around and damage something else plus depending on how it snap it can make a loud noise if it hits something under the hood and that would have given you a serious scare