Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Rapid acceleration

I was traveling up to Vermont yesterday when I began to encounter heavy traffic merging onto the highway. I was passing some slower moving cars when a VW with a kayak on top abruptly began to cut into the lane I was in with hardly any room to spare. I then accelerated around him and decided to pick up some quick speed and get around this group of slower moving cars so I put my foot to the floor and stayed in the far left lane that had just opened up. Anyway, the car under full acceleration started to fish tail and then settled down and continued accelerating. This is not the first time this fishtailing sensation has occurred with my 535. It has happened before when I was rapidly accelerating. I must admit that this is the first turbocharged car I have owned. Other cars I have driven over the years could handle full acceleration without seeming to almost break loose in the rear. Maybe I shouldn't expect a fast car to handle all that quick speed when I put my foot to the floor like that. Maybe I should be more gradual in my acceleration technique. Any thoughts?
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I have floor my 535xi a few time and have never even come close to fish tailing, did you have the stability system shut off?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I have floor my 535xi a few time and have never even come close to fish tailing, did you have the stability system shut off?
Not that I am aware. I drive mostly in Normal mode and the yellow "Traction Control Off" Warning light is always off on the dash. I did go out and check it and came away confused. When I depressed the traction control button on the console a message briefly came up and said that Traction Control has been activated, yet at the same time the yellow "Traction Control Off" light was illuminated. I am looking at the manual now and may have to check it out with the dealer.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Silverstone F80 M3

Mein Auto: Silverstone F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyj View Post
I was traveling up to Vermont yesterday when I began to encounter heavy traffic merging onto the highway. I was passing some slower moving cars when a VW with a kayak on top abruptly began to cut into the lane I was in with hardly any room to spare. I then accelerated around him and decided to pick up some quick speed and get around this group of slower moving cars so I put my foot to the floor and stayed in the far left lane that had just opened up. Anyway, the car under full acceleration started to fish tail and then settled down and continued accelerating. This is not the first time this fishtailing sensation has occurred with my 535. It has happened before when I was rapidly accelerating. I must admit that this is the first turbocharged car I have owned. Other cars I have driven over the years could handle full acceleration without seeming to almost break loose in the rear. Maybe I shouldn't expect a fast car to handle all that quick speed when I put my foot to the floor like that. Maybe I should be more gradual in my acceleration technique. Any thoughts?
Something is wrong. If it was a 535i with traction off....I could see that happening....but an xi? Even with traction control off, the 535xi does not make enough hp/tq to break the back tires loose when it is sending power to the front wheels as well...

Last edited by P-TownM3; 09-16-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Upon Investigation it appears that the yellow warning light finally went off after I restarted the car, even though the Traction Control Activated message had disappeared quickly. Bottom line it looks like I have been driving around with the Traction Control Off! Isn't the yellow warning light supposed to be lit all the time this is off? In my car this was not the case.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
I have accelerated rapidly/floored it a number of times, and have never experienced what you described.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 PM

After reading the manual I see that Dynamic Traction Control is not Dynamic Stability Control. They both are activated and deactivated through the console button and use the same yellow warning light. That was confusing to me. Traction Control is only used occasional with loose surfaces, but Dynamic Stability Control you want on all the time. I think I got it figured out now. (2011 Manual pages 94 and 95 DTC and DSC)

Old 09-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Yeah, BMWs nomenclature (at least in English) is confusing.

What normal mortals call traction control BMW calls DSC - dynamic stability control. What we would call partially activated traction control - enough for fun or to get out of ice - they call DTC - dynamic traction control. So, in turning on DTC you turn DSC off. Then, if you want to drive without any electronic assistance, you can press and hold that same button for 5 seconds, and then you're on your own.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Interesting. I broke the tail end loose in my 550xi, but that was under suddenly flooring it at a small angle.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Hysterical thread. If you floor your vehicle, depending on the road surface, you might expect some breaking loose of the rear wheels. BMW's stability control is set up to allow a slight amount of "play" before the system kicks in to modulate engine output and/or apply braking. I've chirped the tires on my 535i upon spirited acceleration even after a rolling start. How much fishtailing is the OP talking about? For a brief second or so, or continuing to actually slide back and forth? You've got a lot of torque there, be careful, LOL! Good thing you didn't go for the 550i!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Hysterical thread. If you floor your vehicle, depending on the road surface, you might expect some breaking loose of the rear wheels. BMW's stability control is set up to allow a slight amount of "play" before the system kicks in to modulate engine output and/or apply braking. I've chirped the tires on my 535i upon spirited acceleration even after a rolling start. How much fishtailing is the OP talking about? For a brief second or so, or continuing to actually slide back and forth? You've got a lot of torque there, be careful, LOL! Good thing you didn't go for the 550i!
It was enough fishtailing to unnerve me and I have driven well over a million miles in my life. But as I stated previously the Dynamic Stability Control appears to have been turned off.The odd thing is that the DTC/DSC yellow warning light was not illuminated. I could not remember ever turning off the DSC. You actually have to hold the button down on the console for 4 or 5 seconds to disengage DSC. The only thing I can think of is that button is very close the the left cup holder and on long trips we buy large sodas at fast food restaurants and they barely fit into the cup holders. I think I may inadvertently rested a large soda on top of this button trying to get it back into those clips. How is anyone to know they turned off DSC if the warning light doesn't stay on? Putting a key function on the console right next to a cup holder is not a good idea. Maybe there is something wrong with my warning light. I will have it checked out.