Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
Cops and lots of other folks believe that the difference between a porcupine and a BMW is that a porcupine has the pricks on the outside.
I heard that saying before, of cos I strongly disagree even before I walked over and join "the dark side" ;P

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Here is my input as well.
I have 2007 X5 and I had Battery discharge issue. I was reading these posts here and decided to definitely bypass BMW dealership. I am in Ontario, Canada and there is a guy here who is well know as Car Electronic Expert (I put capital E for expert because I think he deserves it). Anyway, he gave me two possibilities:
1. FOB key - if it's close to your car, car will never go to sleep mode - that wasn't my problem as my car is about 10-15 meters away from my key fob.
2. Battery - he asked me how old is that car, when I said 5 years, he said "not official rule but BMWs especially X5s need battery replacement every 4 years", if you go to dealership they would tell you "noo, it's not true, battery is good". He suggested to get new battery but battery from Series 7 as series 7 has more computers (chips) and will be perfect on my X5. It cost me about $300 for OEM battery and about $90 for labour and he said "if you have the same problem, come back I will give you back $390 immediately" - I still didn't go back to pick up the money even though it was 5 months ago which means no battery discharge problem since then. I hope it'll stay that way :-)

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Hi djenka2!

You probably have read about my frustration initially when the dealer suggested my fob was too near the car which implies either I slept in my car or in the parking deck.

Since the battery was replaced last December, I have no more battery issue. It's absurd that a brand new car and a car battery can start to giving problem after about 8 months.

When my car was sent in for the first year maintenance service in March, the shop foreman told me sometimes car batteries become defective after the cars are made and are ready to deliver overseas. Say they may sat at the port for a period of time, and also those times when they arrive in US and eventually to the dealer. At least ie what he told me. Since the engineer from BMW stepped in and got my battery replaced for free and also personally checked my car, the service center has been exceptionally nice to me. I have no complaints though this morning I have to send my car in cos the glove compartment was jammed. It just happened out of the blue. Very strange!

Thank you for posting here

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB

Last edited by terri_atl; 09-14-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
@teri_atl, I am glad issue is gone. What a coincidence, my glove compartment get jammed few times as well but I thought it's from over 40C inside (plastic expanded or something), hmm strange.
Interesting thing is (or it's dealership's theory) what ever you bring the car in for they say, "ohh it's common for that car". I first brought mine to have rear suspensions replaced due to suspension air bags are gone and they said "ohh it's common at X5s". When I came to pick up the car I was joking and said "hopefully there won't be any errors when I sit in the car" (after every service new error comes up) and guess what? Yes, new error, something like "dual tail lights" and guess what they said "ohh it's common at X5s", come on is there anything that's not common, what's next to expect...
Anyway, I found out, the less you visit the dealership (even if it's regular maintenance) the less headache you will have.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi, 2009 750LI
I had same issue, battery must be registered with car after replacement. Never saw problem again.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: M-Sport128i 328xiT 3.0CS
After the battery was replaced in our 328xi we found that the real problem was really the battery cable that includes the current sensor. Fortunately it was all covered under the warranty.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Hi djenka2,

The service center did not tell me why or if it is a common issue. Then again things break even though I am known to take good care of my things. I am glad my glove compartment is working again even though I don't open it on a daily basis. I hope your X5 is not giving you any problem at the moment

Yup, I have to say it's very tiring to bring in the car for service/repair. They gave me a 2012 328i convertible as a loaner this time. It sure drives better than a very basic 328 loaner but I sure miss my Harmon Kardon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenka2 View Post
@teri_atl, I am glad issue is gone. What a coincidence, my glove compartment get jammed few times as well but I thought it's from over 40C inside (plastic expanded or something), hmm strange.
Interesting thing is (or it's dealership's theory) what ever you bring the car in for they say, "ohh it's common for that car". I first brought mine to have rear suspensions replaced due to suspension air bags are gone and they said "ohh it's common at X5s". When I came to pick up the car I was joking and said "hopefully there won't be any errors when I sit in the car" (after every service new error comes up) and guess what? Yes, new error, something like "dual tail lights" and guess what they said "ohh it's common at X5s", come on is there anything that's not common, what's next to expect...
Anyway, I found out, the less you visit the dealership (even if it's regular maintenance) the less headache you will have.

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi there! I believe the service center always register a new battery with the car. I have to pair my phone all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light1 View Post
I had same issue, battery must be registered with car after replacement. Never saw problem again.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
After the battery was replaced in our 328xi we found that the real problem was really the battery cable that includes the current sensor. Fortunately it was all covered under the warranty.
Hi mgthompson, for my case, they can't locate any other problem. My car battery has no problem since the replacement. I hope it stays this way *fingers crossed"

Old 09-30-2012, 04:25 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Hi mgthompson, for my case, they can't locate any other problem. My car battery has no problem since the replacement. I hope it stays this way *fingers crossed"
Glad to hear that you are finally Liberated and Free of your battery Issues!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Glad to hear that you are finally Liberated and Free of your battery Issues!!
Hi X26,

Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 X5 325I
Increased Battery Discharge issue

hi, getting, Increased Battery Discharge message on 2010 328I convertible, vehicle has 11, 500 miles, does battery need to be replaced? , when the car s turned off i don't see anything that could be draining the battery... thanks

2011 X5 Premium
2010 328i Hard top convertible
2007 Z4
2007 X5
2003 325
2003 X5
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicsX5 View Post
hi, getting, Increased Battery Discharge message on 2010 328I convertible, vehicle has 11, 500 miles, does battery need to be replaced? , when the car s turned off i don't see anything that could be draining the battery... thanks
Hi Tropics! I am no expert in cars but of cos if you have read my postings from the beginning, you know I have this same problem. You know the dealer/service center will first blamed on your low mileage in the car. Actually I am going to ask if you live in a house or condo, if you have recently not drive this car for over 7 days, do you play your music with the engine off.. I am sorry to ask so many questions. I am trying to help by sharing what I learned, my situation (living in a high rise, in a city), what the service center and the engineer from BMW have said or advised. So please feel free to share with me any info. U do know the service center will try to blame it on your driving pattern n made you pay the battery. I did my homework and got the engineer from BMW involved and got the charge reversed. Write back soon

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Fyi

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...EeHrH8mjC3ThAA

Even when the car is sitting it will use some power .
If you lock the car it will use less.( as it puts it in a low current draw state)
Also keep the fob well away from the car.

If you leave the car sitting or only drive it short distances the battery will not
recharge.
If your driving profile fits in the last description you should get a battery tender/charger
such as a ctek3300 and use it .
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicsX5 View Post
I highly recommend a 'battery tender' if you're not driving enough to keep your battery sufficiently charged. I bought a Deltron via Amazon shortly after buying my car, and have had no problems during the past 33 months of ownership. I hook up the tender when I know the car won't be driven for a week or more, and recently didn't drive it for over 5 weeks - no problem when I finally fired it up. I never had a problem with any other car I've owned over the past 50 years, however knowing how expensive BMW replacement batteries are, plus the cost of registration (never had to do this to any other car either), the tender was a true bargain at about $45.00. If there's a drawback, it's that you have to have access to an electrical outlet - obviously not easy for those in apartments or whose car is parked outside.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=ctuna;7230282]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...EeHrH8mjC3ThAA

"Even when the car is sitting it will use some power .
If you lock the car it will use less.( as it puts it in a low current draw state)"

I disagree he car will use less power if it's locked IF you have the factory alarm, as I do. I know that blinking clown uses battery power for lunch and dinner!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi all, since the dealer has replaced the battery in my car in Dec 2011, I no longer have this "Increased Battery Discharge" issue. I dropped my car off yesterday so that the service center can fix the "recall" problem. When I picked up my car this morning, the system alerted a warning sign when I was on my way out. I had to turn the car in, the warning? "Increased Battery Discharge"! Anyone has any take on this? I am wondering if someone did not lock my car when it was at the service center the whole day yesterday or the recall repair has created a new problem. Any idea is very much appreciated here. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Lufthsana the member have measured the draw at .5 amps

Lufthsana the some members have measured the draw at .5 amps
in the awake mode . The asleep mode has been measures at 10 - to 20 ma without and alarm .
Granted it will draw more with and alarm but I don't think
it will be .5 amps . The only way to know it to measure it.
They probably depleted Teri's battery by working on the car but if her driving profile hasn't changed
you are going to have to replace the battery every two years.
To disagree is Ok to measure it the only truth.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-19-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM

I would anticipate getting at least 5 years out of the battery using the battery tender, although I may be selling the car in the near future - I just don't drive it that much (14k miles over 3+ years).
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Lufthsana the some members have measured the draw at .5 amps
in the awake mode . The asleep mode has been measures at 10 - to 20 ma without and alarm .
Granted it will draw more with and alarm but I don't think
it will be .5 amps . The only way to know it to measure it.
They probably depleted Teri's battery by working on the car but if her driving profile hasn't changed
you are going to have to replace the battery every two years.
To disagree is Ok to measure it the only truth.
Hello Ctuna! During the past 2 years, my driving pattern has changed a little but I never have this battery problem ever since and even when I brought my car for service a few times. My first battery lasted me 9 months when it started giving me problem. Just hope it was something with them not locking my door (cos I have to teach my new service advisor how to lock the door) or something to do with the repairing of the battery cable (recall).

Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
I would anticipate getting at least 5 years out of the battery using the battery tender, although I may be selling the car in the near future - I just don't drive it that much (14k miles over 3+ years).
Hello Lufthansa! Can't believe I am back here talking about battery again. Maybe I jinxed myself when I ran into this technician who worked on the battery issue 2 years back. I was telling him the car has no more battery problem

Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

My advisor called and said the technician test drove my car the whole day and couldn't duplicate the warning message. So we agreed to leave the car overnight and I would pick it up tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Update: I have written to the very nice support engineer from BMWNA. He just replied letting me know the warning was set when the repair was done. Battery has to be disconnected during the repair. He has also checked the data the car sent to the servers in Munich, my car was perfectly fine. So ok, perhaps false alarm here. Hehe.. Yes, it is a big relief for me esp hearing from the engineer

Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Three years later, thanks for your help. My 2009 328xi has had the "Increased Battery Discharge" warning on a few times. I do drive only short trips, and I do leave my lights on automatic, so perhaps that's it.

I am nervous about buying the battery tender from the link above... is it possible for me to damage my car with this? What should I absolutely not do? Also, would it help if I charge my battery with the tender for a few hours now and then (i.e., when I am near a real garage with outlets)?

Thanks so much!

Sheila in Boston
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Which link the Cteks are very fault tolerant.

Which link the Cteks are very fault tolerant
Buy a model 3300 or better.
Also I believe they have a harness that can be attached
that only allows you to plug it in the right way.
Most battery chargers have a reverse sensing circuit
that prevents you from doing damage . (look for it)
plus they are not all that expensive.
Also locking the car causes it to go to sleep which saves the battery .
The batterys last about 6 years even in a car that is driven a lot.
I top my battery off about every three weeks.
Cold Climates are hard on battery's.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.