Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: sti, m3, glk
Bad deal? Sneaky sales tactics I suppose.

Hi all,

My sister-in-law just got CPO '09 328i with 58k miles for the asking price of 20k at a NY dealership. Her previous car was a 3-series too, but it was ruled a total loss as a result of flood damage. Solid deal I thought and told her it sounded good. I couldn't accompany her at the dealership but the carfax appeared great and it was a 1-owner car.

She signed the paperwork yesterday and called me today after looking at her receipt in a panic. The dealership charged her $1,500 for the Wheel and Tire Protection Package and $2,600 for Maintenance, and apparently, they never explained it to her or informed her.

The Wheel and Tire Package sounds like a complete waste after reading it essentially covers flats/punctures and generalized non-cosmetic damage. I don't have the particulars for the maintenance program, but after reading up on it on the BMW USA website, it sounds like it basically extends the maintenance to 6 years/100,0000 miles. Seems redundant to me as CPO covers 6 years/100,000 miles? Or maybe it is a maintenance plan exclusively through the dealership and not through BMW USA?

I'm certain the Wheel package is a crock. But how about the maintenance? I've been out of the purchasing loop for a little bit, but this seems unfair and sneaky.

Anyone know if the purchaser can someone wiggle out of these fees after the fact? Car was purchased Saturday.

Thanks a bunch gang
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Maintenance Is different from CPO. CPO is warranty and maintenance is tune ups and oil changes. But sounds like she got owned on the prices. The wheel and tire will replace tires and cracked wheels which I understand in ny isn't such a bad thing to buy.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle

Last edited by kjboyd; 09-16-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
The maintenance plan covers the oil changes and regular maintenance. Read exactly what it covers though, because I dont think it covers everything that the original maintenance plan covers.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire82 View Post
Hi all,

My sister-in-law just got CPO '09 328i with 58k miles for the asking price of 20k at a NY dealership. Her previous car was a 3-series too, but it was ruled a total loss as a result of flood damage. Solid deal I thought and told her it sounded good. I couldn't accompany her at the dealership but the carfax appeared great and it was a 1-owner car.

She signed the paperwork yesterday and called me today after looking at her receipt in a panic. The dealership charged her $1,500 for the Wheel and Tire Protection Package and $2,600 for Maintenance, and apparently, they never explained it to her or informed her.

The Wheel and Tire Package sounds like a complete waste after reading it essentially covers flats/punctures and generalized non-cosmetic damage. I don't have the particulars for the maintenance program, but after reading up on it on the BMW USA website, it sounds like it basically extends the maintenance to 6 years/100,0000 miles. Seems redundant to me as CPO covers 6 years/100,000 miles? Or maybe it is a maintenance plan exclusively through the dealership and not through BMW USA?

I'm certain the Wheel package is a crock. But how about the maintenance? I've been out of the purchasing loop for a little bit, but this seems unfair and sneaky.

Anyone know if the purchaser can someone wiggle out of these fees after the fact? Car was purchased Saturday.

Thanks a bunch gang
What makes it unfair and sneaky?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks a bunch gang
Both of those "purchases" should be able to be undone fairly easily with very forceful instructions to the dealership.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335is
Your sister in law apparently doesn't know how to say no.. her loss
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
What makes it unfair and sneaky?
Did you miss reading that paragraph?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
As tturedraider has noted, pushback on those items should be able to get them cancelled.

The wheel and tire insurance has some value, specially in high pothole areas. The price she was charged for it seems really high, based on what others have reported paying.

The $2500 maintenance plan will only pay for itself if she gets 2 brake jobs out of it, otherwise it is a stunning money pit. Check the "miles to brake change" indicator on the dash to see how many miles to the next brake job, and then figure out if you think it will go through 2 sets in the 42k miles she could own the car before the plan expires. Unless it is very close to the next change, I don't see that one making a lot of sense at that price, either.

FWIW,
George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 09-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Did you miss reading that paragraph?
I read it. Still don't see anything sneaky or unfair.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Its an old finance manager trick, sneak the extras in there by simply calling some else. One of my dealer called it a value package If the OP's SIL lives in NYC and have the sport package in her 3 series, she might want to consider keeping the tire and wheel insuarnce. If not, I would cancel it ASAP.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
My grandpa just took my 328xi to the dealer and they charged 260$ to register the new battery. They told him he had dirty oil and antifreeze and brake fluid, they said it all had to be changed. We had all that done 2 days ago so he made it clear that he did not like that they were trying to cheat him out of money. They also tried to sell him a maint. Plan.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
I read it. Still don't see anything sneaky or unfair.
If they added those packages without informing her (as that paragraph states) and without consent, here in KY that would be legal violation. The contract has to have your initials and signature saying you acknowledge the explanation and accept the packages.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
If they added those packages without informing her (as that paragraph states) and without consent, here in KY that would be legal violation. The contract has to have your initials and signature saying you acknowledge the explanation and accept the packages.
While I haven't seen the paperwork I can almost guarantee you they have all the initials and signatures required. What I see here is someone who was excited to buy their new car and initialed and signed everything put in front of them without reviewing it.

A friend of mine recently bought a new (used) vehicle. While in with the finance manager she noticed they had included a maintenance program as well as an anti-theft service. When she inquired about them the manager stated they include them with all their vehicles. She said she didn't want them. At first he reiterated they were included in all vehicle purchases and were already in effect on this vehicle. She said that's not her problem and if they weren't removed there was no deal. He removed them. The ironic thing being they are still in effect (because they were so before she decided to buy the vehicle) so she ended up getting both for free.

This seems to be another case of the buyer not taking responsibility for their actions (or possibly inaction in this case). If the OP believes there was fraud here he can try to pursue it in court (assuming asking the dealer to remove them fails). I doubt he will be successful.

Last edited by sunny5280; 09-17-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
While I haven't seen the paperwork I can almost guarantee you they have all the initials and signatures required. What I see here is someone who was excited to buy their new car and initialed and signed everything put in front of them without reviewing it.
I agree, this is most likely the senerio here.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
So you're trying to say the purchase price on the car was 20K, and an additional $4,100 was "added" onto that without your sister's knowledge or permission? Highly doubt it, your sister probably signed for them and just regretted the extra cost after the fact. Even if she was in a high state of "excitement" over getting a new car, once the dealer asks you to sign something for $24,100 when you're expecting $20,000, I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would auto sign such an increase. And regardless, if your sister signed for a purchase, it's hers. She needs to pay better attention to what she's getting herself into and stop blaming a dealer who probably was just doing what dealer's do, and that is to try and cross sell on other products related to the car. A simple "no" on her part and refusal to sign any paperwork with the unexpected cost increases would have put the dealer in his place.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
You know a lot of people don't buy cars from a dealer very often and its easy to get overwhelmed by the excitement of a new car, confused by the stack of papers they shove at you, and caught up in all the sales guy / finance guy double team talk.

It's too bad some dealers take advantage of their customers seemingly deciding they will never see this person again so let's make all the money we can on this sale.

Expected from a used car dealer but unacceptable if this was a BMW dealer.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
You know a lot of people don't buy cars from a dealer very often and its easy to get overwhelmed by the excitement of a new car, confused by the stack of papers they shove at you, and caught up in all the sales guy / finance guy double team talk.

It's too bad some dealers take advantage of their customers seemingly deciding they will never see this person again so let's make all the money we can on this sale.

Expected from a used car dealer but unacceptable if this was a BMW dealer.

Sorry to be harsh, but unless the buyer is a 12 year old child or someone with the mind of a child, I don't buy that explanation. We're talking about thousands of dollars, not a few dollars. Assuming you're an adult of some intelligence, no one is going to seriously convince me that they can get "duped" into paying an extra $4,100 without their knowledge at the time of the transaction. Some people can just be full of excuses for this and excuses for that and short on personal responsibility.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
Sorry to be harsh, but unless the buyer is a 12 year old child or someone with the mind of a child, I don't buy that explanation. We're talking about thousands of dollars, not a few dollars. Assuming you're an adult of some intelligence, no one is going to seriously convince me that they can get "duped" into paying an extra $4,100 without their knowledge at the time of the transaction. Some people can just be full of excuses for this and excuses for that and short on personal responsibility.
Agree 100%.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
I think you miss my point.

Agree that adults have to be responsible and I cringe at the thought of people all over the country getting bailed out of mortgages they couldn't or didn't want to pay.

But having experienced the auto "dealer hustle" ever since my first car buying experience where the sales guy hid my trade in keys I think luxury brands like BMW ought to do better. Many do but there are also too many stories of sour customer experiences that tarnish the brand. (not just BMW)

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Agree that adults have to be responsible and I cringe at the thought of people all over the country getting bailed out of mortgages they couldn't or didn't want to pay.

But having experienced the auto "dealer hustle" ever since my first car buying experience where the sales guy hid my trade in keys I think luxury brands like BMW ought to do better. Many do but there are also too many stories of sour customer experiences that tarnish the brand. (not just BMW)
She noticed the information post sale. Why did she not notice it before signing the paperwork?

I see nothing deceptive or dishonest on the part of this dealer. Maybe there's more but with the little information we have everything seems legitimate on the dealers part.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Nope, I got your point loud and clear and well we can agree to disagree on this.

As far as a dealer hiding your trade in car keys (I assume to keep you from walking away from a potential deal), well yes there is no question that's shady BUT it's also a trick that a shady dealer is likely to employ. Even if you're not aware that this is a trick, DEMANDING your keys back in no uncertain terms will get your keys back. At worse, you lose a few minutes of your life dealing with such a juvenile business practice, but at best, you now know with certainty that the dealership that you're standing in is shady and should be avoided. I surely hope, you walked away from that dealer after they attempted that stunt..........

In any case, that is a far cry from this situation in which we all know as part of the purchasing process there is a contract that is ultimately signed between the seller and buyer with the FULL purchase price disclosed, FULLY transparent to all, and FULLY disclosed to all. Once signed, how can the person claim he/she got "duped" as to where the extra $4,100 came from? The only way to get duped, is if she signs for $20,000 and they somehow forged her signature on something else with all the extras (but if I remember correctly, you sign a bunch of different documents so this would require a lot of forging). Then we're not talking shady, but criminal. Otherwise, OP's sister in law needs to take personal responsibility if the dealership won't cancel the extras.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM

I have a good friend who sell Acura, he tells ma all kind of crazy stories. You guys might be surprise at how many people who knows very little about the car buying process, even worst with leasing. A fast talking finance manager can be hard to follow sometime, I try to always slow down the whole process when the finance manager is explaining the numbers. There are plenty of ways to sneak extra stuff in the payment. Like I alaways tell my friends, know your final payment before you even walk into the dealer.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I have a good friend who sell Acura, he tells ma all kind of crazy stories. You guys might be surprise at how many people who knows very little about the car buying process, even worst with leasing. A fast talking finance manager can be hard to follow sometime, I try to always slow down the whole process when the finance manager is explaining the numbers. There are plenty of ways to sneak extra stuff in the payment. Like I alaways tell my friends, know your final payment before you even walk into the dealer.
They can't sneak anything into the contract unless you let them by not reading the paperwork you're signing. As ERdiesel has said: It's difficult to sneak in $4,100 on a $20,000 purchase. That's 20% the price of the car. The OP's SIL should have read the contract before she signed it, not afterwards.

Last edited by sunny5280; 09-17-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
This is the case for the vast majority of buyers. It may not be wise on the consumer's part, but some of you are giving the average consumer way more credit for their level of intelligence than they are due. Even consumers who can afford to buy BMWs. And most consumers eyes completely glaze over when it comes to the issue of consumer finance.

I know from experience dealers operate on the theory that the majority of customers are willing and able to afford a payment of $100 - $200 more per month than they say is their maximum. And consumers routinely prove this is true. Roughly 95% of buyers are payment buyers. It may not be smart, but it is true.

This happens with men as well as women, but women tend to be a) much more trusting than men, b) much less likely to question a male "authority figure" to his face, and c) less educated about all the intricacies of consumer finance. $4,100 @ 6% for 60 months is just less than $80/month. While most people might notice that increase they are most likely to attribute it to their own lack of knowledge in knowing how to do the calculations correctly and it ends up falling into the payment range they can handle.

Dealers deal with this information every day.....and they still screw it up. The average consumer deals with it every three or four or five or ten years. Taking advantage of novice consumers who trust the dealership personnel to treat them fairly and honestly is the definition of sneaky sales tactics.

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is the case for the vast majority of buyers. It may not be wise on the consumer's part, but some of you are giving the average consumer way more credit for their level of intelligence than they are due. Even consumers who can afford to buy BMWs. And most consumers eyes completely glaze over when it comes to the issue of consumer finance.
Buying a car is not that difficult. If so many people are unable to do such a basic thing it says a lot to where this countries citizens have gone over the years. And it's not for the positive.

Last edited by sunny5280; 09-17-2012 at 06:15 PM.