Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: New England
New Alarm system doesn't work

I recently purchased a BMW Z4 alarm system for my 2004 Z4 and installed it myself. I had my local dealer activate the system and test it. It did not work and the dealer did not have any idea why. The dealer did confirm that the alarm system I bought was the correct part for my car.

This is what I have done so far to diagnose the problem;
  • Checked the fuse (F30, 7.5 Amp) and it was okay.
  • Disconnected the hood switch and tested the rear motion detector which failed to go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting one of the alarm switches will allow the others to remain active and functional?
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for your help.
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
When you say it does not work, what is it not doing? Are you expecting a chirp when you lock the car?

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM

With the hood open, I held the hood switch down, locked the car, and released the switch, nothing happened. No chirp when I locked the car either. In case it matters, the top was down while I was testing this.

With the hood down, I locked the car and bounced on the rear of the car to set off the rear motion sensor, again no alarm sounded. Same results as the dealer found.

One additional piece of information, when I did the installation I did not disconnect the battery. I simply plugged the connections into the switches as I installed them. Just in case that matters, with most devices it shouldn't but you never know.

Last edited by gjohnson10; 09-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: Z4 Si, 330i
1. What part number for the alarm kit and or components if you bought them seperately - Check REALOEM for compatibility - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do enter it in the PN application search - make sure its compatible with your build date by mm/yr.
2. You may have already done it, but if not, check all the new plug-in connections to make sure they are connected - its a pita to take things apart but.....
3. While you are there check the Plugs for correct wiring when you do #2. There are different alarms. I think there were 4 wire plugs and 6 wire plugs - IIRC even though they connected not all were compatible with every year

The hood switch test you did is spot on - with switch depressed, one click on the the key to lock, then let go of switch and it should alarm. I think mine did this even before activation.
You may not have a tilt sensor - if price was like 50-60 retail then I'd be surprised if you do. This is the PN a lot of us used "65730302424." Its just a siren with a hood switch.

Good Luck!

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.
03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 125K and rollin!

Last edited by BruceJM; 09-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM

The alarm I purchased is a BMW alarm kit and is compatible with the mm/yr of the car's build date listed on the model tag. I checked that before I bought it and the dealer verified it as well. That said, this car was built right around the cutoff date when BMW changed something related to the alarm system.

The connectors all looked correct when I installed them, but I will go back and recheck. I have to pull things apart again anyway.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Second new alarm failed as well

I bought a second new alarm, replaced the first one component by component using the BMW installation instructions. Same results. I will be returning both alarm systems.

I found the wiring diagram for the alarm system online and noticed that the rear view mirror was involved in the diagram. Must be part of the sensor system (my guess), but I wasn't expecting that.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
I would be willing to bet that the hardware is good and that the Dealership does not know what or how to set up the programming. I have the alarm but I have not gone to the dealer to have it activated. I get the 'chirp' and the flashing of lights when you lock/unlock the car. The alarm does not go off when I open a door or the hood when set because I need to get it activated.

May persons who added the alarm had much difficulties getting the dealer to activate the alarm. This is because most dealers do not employ 'experts' anymore..... this is hit or miss with dealers...
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5i 2005
Sounds like a coding issue. Ask them if they added the right FA string.. The alarm will partially work without it... But that's not what you paid them to do. Ask 'em to call me if they'd like for someone to tell them how to do their jobs. Lol
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM

I gave up and removed the second alarm system and returned both. I would have preferred to have a working alarm but did not want to spend $130/hr to have someone who had already spent an hour "activating" the alarm. I may go with lojack instead. Has anyone had any luck with Lojack systems?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM

I got LoJack when I bought the car. It's funny they charge several hundred dollars for it, they don't tell you where it's installed and there is a yearly fee of $100. I'm currently deciding I'd BMW assist is a better value. They do the same thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballinallthetym View Post
I got LoJack when I bought the car. It's funny they charge several hundred dollars for it, they don't tell you where it's installed and there is a yearly fee of $100. I'm currently deciding I'd BMW assist is a better value. They do the same thing.
Wait, WHAT!

YOU pay them for the hardware and service, and they will not tell you WHERE they put the hardware in your car?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Lol yes sir Shipkiller
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
@ Ballinallthetym Sorry, but in that case I would be come from Missouri, "Show Me"

@ gjohnson10 This I don't get, if you have the pre-wiring installed, and you hooked up all the components you will have a working alarm. The mirror part is not necessary. My alarm works just fine with out it.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnson10 View Post
I recently purchased a BMW Z4 alarm system for my 2004 Z4 and installed it myself. I had my local dealer activate the system and test it. It did not work and the dealer did not have any idea why. The dealer did confirm that the alarm system I bought was the correct part for my car.

This is what I have done so far to diagnose the problem;
  • Checked the fuse (F30, 7.5 Amp) and it was okay.
  • Disconnected the hood switch and tested the rear motion detector which failed to go off.

Does anyone know if disconnecting one of the alarm switches will allow the others to remain active and functional?
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for your help.
here's a super late response... the dealer didn't code your alarm. they need to add "$302" to you VO# and FA# in the AKMB and ALSZ ECUs. .

see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=27

Last edited by Cvaria; 08-31-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM

The dealer did not activate it properly. Just from the posts on all three z4 forums, the dealer has a 75% chance of getting it wrong.

If the car is coded properly, this is what happens (I just checked to be sure on my MC).

Press the lock on the key, if everything is closed, the lights blind and you get a beep.
If the drivers door is open, nothing happens. No lights blink and no beep.
If the rear hatch is open, the lights blink but no beep. Close the hatch and the car beeps telling you everything is locked.
If the passenger door is open, same results as the rear hatch.
If the hood is open, same results as the hatch.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
The dealer did not activate it properly. Just from the posts on all three z4 forums, the dealer has a 75% chance of getting it wrong.

If the car is coded properly, this is what happens (I just checked to be sure on my MC).

Press the lock on the key, if everything is closed, the lights blind and you get a beep.
If the drivers door is open, nothing happens. No lights blink and no beep.
If the rear hatch is open, the lights blink but no beep. Close the hatch and the car beeps telling you everything is locked.
If the passenger door is open, same results as the rear hatch.
If the hood is open, same results as the hatch.
yeah, it seems that a lot of the time they don't update both the VO and the FA of the various ecus that control certain functions like lights and sounds.

The VO (vehicle option) will push the codes down/out if the car is processed but the is like the cars electric DNA. it contains all the info used to program the car initially based on the option the car was to have when it rolled of the line in spartanburg. if the car is processed by the VO, it will take the car back to factory settings with the addition of the dealer added update. if not done, the update to the ECU FA lists will be removed.

302 must be added to the vo. this will activate the DWA (alarm related) options in the appropriate FAs of the car's ECUs as BMW selected them to be for the market the car was sold in (trunk options etc, like you listed and amount of flashes on lock and unlock, beep count, clown nose, etc...) it's brilliant actually. love that german/swedish (tyco) engineering

enabling things in the FA will add the codes right away without removing little mods that may have been done to the other ECUs. may cause problems and conflicts. This is how we can active options like BMW apps without paying 299 for them or remove the "no dvd while in motion" restictions, etc...

This was my VO before the alarm:
Quote:
.................................................. .......
Order options

No. Description

224 DYNAMIC DRIVING CONTROL

332 LT/ALY WHEELS/TURBINE STYLING 106

354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN

399 SOFTTOP OPERATION, FULLY AUTOMATIC

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

435 WOOD TRIM

441 SMOKERS PACKAGE *herb farmer*

459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY

493 STORAGE COMPARTMENT PACKAGE

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

520 FOGLIGHTS

521 RAIN SENSOR

522 XENON LIGHT

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

540 CRUISE CONTROL

550 ON-BOARD COMPUTER

639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN

645 RADIO CONTROL US

662 RADIO BMW BUSINESS CD

676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

692 CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION

704 M SPORT SUSPENSION

Series options

No. Description

255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

305 REMOTE CONTROL FOR CENTRAL LOCKING

470 CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT

823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION

845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING

853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
.................................................. ...[from my vin]
no 302, the alarm was not in the car when i got it.

i added 302 and processed the car, boom.. alarm.

some dealer techs just don't know what they are doing.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM

I did not have to do any VO changes, and I also just bought the components for the alarm. I just used NCSExpert and set what I needed to make it work. There must be more than one way to do this.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Re: New Alarm system doesn't work

Yes sir.

You can change the goods with the FAs in the ECUs. If the dealer were to "process" the car your changes would/may go away.

sent from my mind. Mentoc the Mindtaker

Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM

You may be right on that. I never thought of that, but I have not taken my car to the dealer in years.
Before I started any coding, I made copies of all the coding in each module and saved them as a baseline. Then I made a copy of each module I made changes to.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM

Re: New Alarm system doesn't work

Have you changed you water pump or belt yourself? I have those coming up. I need a write up.

sent from my mind. Mentoc the Mindtaker

Last edited by Cvaria; 08-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 PM

On the ///M just the belts and I just (yesterday) put new springs in. Over the last year, I have replaced all the bushings with upgraded parts. On the Roadster, I changed the complete cooling system and pulled the VANO's and put new O-rings in a couple of years ago, plus the softtop/motor removal DIY I wrote up several years ago.

The only thing I had to have performed by someone else was I had to have the Rod Bearings replaced on the ///M last month. Took the car to a shop I trust, and I do not trust many. There is almost nothing I cannot fix myself. I enjoy doing the work.