Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
What profile in NCS are you using? Have you successfully coded other modules?

Stuart
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
using the expert profile, coding other modules is working fine
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Stuart, sorry I haven't gotten back. I've been busy with a new startup that is taking more of my time than I would like. I do have an E60 LMA using a coding index of LM_E60.C0E. The part number of the lights I purchased on eBay are:

Part Brand: HELLA
Manufacturer Part Number: 1EL 158 083-011,1EL 158 084-011
Interchange Part Number: 63 12 7 165 451,63 12 7 165 452
Other Part Number: 63 12 7 165 455,63 12 7 165 456

Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-7-Series...b6eb28&vxp=mtr

I have replaced the LED bulbs with the standard P21W amber bulbs for the time being. When doing so I realized that they actually take PY21W bulbs (same as P21W but with a 150 degree offset on the 2 bottom pins). Here is the odd part. I somehow got the P21W LED bulbs to fit and they work in the middle two holders, but not the outside ones in question. (very hard to get out though) I'm hoping this is the problem so I ordered 2 PY21W LED bulbs and they will be here sometime next week. I'm hopeful this should end that problem. On a side note I have disabled all monitoring of the front turn signals this entire time to rule out the issue that the car is expecting bulbs with a higher wattage than the LED produce, and I refuse to put resistors inline to trick the car. All of this being said if the new bulbs don't fix the issue I will just end up keeping the amber bulbs (after spraying them with I fine mist of silver spray paint so I don't see the ugly amber bulbs through the clear plastic).

Next issue was the Auto P. Based on information given to me by Paper I went through the following procedure:

1. Reset the CAS, KOMBI, MMI, TCU modules in that order using the expert profile. Then without leaving NCS Expert or changing profiles I read both the CAS and LMA using the FA_READ job (Not READ ECU). Unfortunately this didn't give me back my Auto P functionality so I tried it again still with no luck. After this I just changed to the Fister profile and restored each of my modules from the backups I made prior to starting this. You might have better luck than I did so it might be worth a try.

Hope some of this is helpful,

Jeff
Stuart, So I finally was able to solve the LED turn signal issue. It was the bulbs after all. Once I replaced the 2 - P21W with the PY21W (150 degree offset on the pins) they worked like the middle 2. So after all this time finally have LED turn signals. Might be time to tackle the LED door handle lights. Just really don't like the idea of having to take 4 doors apart.

I also replaced my LED Angle Eyes with the Mtech 2.1 (3.0 are too bright). Much better than the LED ones from ijdmtoy.com. Still a bit expensive but worth it.

No luck on the Auto P issue. Did you try Papers suggestion to see if it worked on your car?

Jeff-
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Jeff,

Nice work, bulbs were the issue then!

I have some good news! Managed to re-enable the auto park feature!!!!

Using INPA open up the EMF module, clear any error codes, go into one of the tabs at the bottom named something like activate, in there you should find some options, one of them is called enable auto-p.

This is all off the top of my head! You will have to have a look, it's not that difficult to find.

Select it and a window will pop up saying on=1 off=0, in the text box enter 1 and hit ok.

Cycle the ignition and it's now fully functional!

Why changing the MMI deactivates it is anyone's guess! But thats the fix!

P.S. if anyone can show me how to sync the CBS on the kombi so I don't have to clear service intervals using string values in tool32 (it's really not much fun!) then tell me!!!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-12-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Jeff,

Nice work, bulbs were the issue then!

I have some good news! Managed to re-enable the auto park feature!!!!

Using INPA open up the EMF module, clear any error codes, go into one of the tabs at the bottom named something like activate, in there you should find some options, one of them is called enable auto-p.

This is all off the top of my head! You will have to have a look, it's not that difficult to find.

Select it and a window will pop up saying on=1 off=0, in the text box enter 1 and hit ok.

Cycle the ignition and it's now fully functional!

Why changing the MMI deactivates it is anyone's guess! But thats the fix!

P.S. if anyone can show me how to sync the CBS on the kombi so I don't have to clear service intervals using string values in tool32 (it's really not much fun!) then tell me!!!

Stuart
Stuart, Congratulations, that is good news. Unfortunately when I go into INPA I cannot find the EMF module. I am able to see the EMF module in NCS Expert. I even tried using the Expert Profile to reset the EMF module, but no success. I do have a module called Electromechanical parking brake, and it uses the EMF_65 .C07 daten file so it's probably the same module, but I don't have anything that says enable auto p. the closest I have is a button that says Comfort, but when I click on it and enter a value of 1 and hit ok it doesn't change anything, and if I click on Comfort again, it shows a value of 0.

When I check the error memory, I get: D38D CAN RX Signal and at the bottom it says unplausibles Signal order Wert. Not sure what that means.

While trying to fix the Auto P issue I followed Papers suggestion in resetting some modules in expert mode and then reading the CAS and LMA using FA_READ job, and now I've lost my SVS functionality all together. This after I was able to get it to acknowledge commands for the phone even after the Bluetooth TCU retrofit. When I press the Voice Command button on the steering wheel, my radio mutes like it is supposed to, but I get no voice prompts or anything at all. I disconnected the battery overnight, but still nothing. I removed fuse number 5 before that for an hour like I read somewhere but that didn't work. When I go into NCS Expert I am not seeing a SVS ECU (don't think I ever saw one because I have no backup trace file for it and I backed up all my modules prior to this issue).

I want Auto P working, but losing the Voice Command really sucks. Any help would be appreciated from this forum. I reset the SVS ECU module in INPA but that didn't work either.

I don't have WinFPK so I can't flash and of these modules. If someone in the NYC area has the program and a charging device to keep the voltage at the levels needed to update/flash the modules I would be very appreciative.

Hope someone can help here.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM

Jeff,

That's it, it's under the electromechanical parking brake module, and the comfort setting! When you open the comfort option it will show a 0 just type a 1 and hit ok then leave it. This should enable the auto p again. Mine showed a 0 if I opened it again, theoretically if you have done that your auto p should work now.

I also have that can rx error message. I don't recall having it before the retrofit of the MMI. I think it means it's lost comms or dosent understand a message it's been sent.

Sorry cant help on the SVS, I have had mine working using the socket in the dash but it's a retrofit, so I don't have the correct fibre cables to fit it properly in the boot.

One thing I will say, when I first got it i plugged it in the loop in place of the TV module. It didn't work, I think that was because a module was missing (the TV) in the loop and it was supposed to be there. This could be the same issue, while coding you have added a module to the module index in the most loop and it's not actually there causing the SVS not to work. I don't know where this list is generated it may be from the VO and it's stored in the ASK.

Research into that, I may be on the right track....

Try the EMF again, mines working perfectly now.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Jeff,

That's it, it's under the electromechanical parking brake module, and the comfort setting! When you open the comfort option it will show a 0 just type a 1 and hit ok then leave it. This should enable the auto p again. Mine showed a 0 if I opened it again, theoretically if you have done that your auto p should work now.

I also have that can rx error message. I don't recall having it before the retrofit of the MMI. I think it means it's lost comms or dosent understand a message it's been sent.

Sorry cant help on the SVS, I have had mine working using the socket in the dash but it's a retrofit, so I don't have the correct fibre cables to fit it properly in the boot.

One thing I will say, when I first got it i plugged it in the loop in place of the TV module. It didn't work, I think that was because a module was missing (the TV) in the loop and it was supposed to be there. This could be the same issue, while coding you have added a module to the module index in the most loop and it's not actually there causing the SVS not to work. I don't know where this list is generated it may be from the VO and it's stored in the ASK.

Research into that, I may be on the right track....

Try the EMF again, mines working perfectly now.

Stuart
Stuart, When you enter the 1 and then hit ok, did you then quit INPA and disconnect your laptop and then turn off the ignition and then restart the car and Auto P was available again?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 AM

Yes that's right, I was fixing my airbag error at the time and was removing the key and inserting again.

After I removed the laptop and locked the car, I returned started the engine tried the auto p an it worked.

Stuart
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Jeff,

Have you had any luck? Hope this works for you.

How did you get the iPod interface to work correctly? There were two coding parameters in the MMI if I remember correctly iPod active and listh or something? Did you only get this option once coding +IPOD in the VO? Thanks

Stuart
Old 08-14-2012, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
Just Got Just Joined

Hey guys, just got a 2002 745Li and I was convinced there was a way to do exactly what this post has been discussing soon after I realized what my idrive could and couldn't do. Did a google and here I am. iv made it to page 12 thus far trying to soak it all in, so if there's a walk through or guide pages ahead id appreciate the heads up. Gettin antzy and excited to start my retro fit.
So far Iv gathered ill need a TCU,(84109149615) thanks ACE and Stuartjohn. Ill need a later model MMI aka facelift. plugs for the fiber as well as the 54 dongle. And a decent batt charger for the flashing end. Now whats gotten me scrathing my scalp is the flashing and software end as to which program is easiest or best. NCS, tool32 and ACE's Dashsoft. Well still reading, like I said got excitted and wanted to join up and speak up. Great works guys, signed green with envy
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
I also had the CAN RX error in my EMF module. Deleted the error code, then tried a bunch of different combinations of the "activate comfort in INPA" with no luck. Restarted the car a bunch of times too. I guess Stuart got lucky!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Strange, I will have a look and connect INPA upto my car later this afternoon.

The only thing I can think of is try clearing all errors on the car and erase IM memory on the emf.

Stuart
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Jeff,

Have you had any luck? Hope this works for you.

How did you get the iPod interface to work correctly? There were two coding parameters in the MMI if I remember correctly iPod active and listh or something? Did you only get this option once coding +IPOD in the VO? Thanks

Stuart
I did code +IPOD in the VO, and set IPOD_ADD and LISTH_0306 to aktiv in the MMI. If you find that your iPod loads slowly each time you start your car or if your MMI reboots itself while trying to load your songs/playlists, then reset your MMI using ExpertMode and then retry writing your backed up MMI trace file like you would normally do. The first time you connect your iPod it will take some time to read all your songs, but then it should load quickly when you start your car each time.

I installed WinKFP yesterday. Do you think any of the issues I'm still having with Auto P and my Voice Command can be resolved by flashing the EMF and SVS modules? Is there anything else that WinKFP could be used for that you think would help?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Strange, I will have a look and connect INPA upto my car later this afternoon.

The only thing I can think of is try clearing all errors on the car and erase IM memory on the emf.

Stuart
I cleared both the EM and IM in the EMF module. Can't get it to accept the 1 value. When I hit OK it still shows 0 as its value, and the error code is back soon after I clear it. Could you post your EMF trace file? Maybe you have something set to aktiv that I don't. Just reaching at this point. At this point I'd just be happy getting my Voice Command back.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: '05 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Okay, I have flashed the MMI using WinKFP and it worked great with the ham radio supply I bought for 118 euros from Germany:

The power draw held steady at just under 16A during the entire process and the little PSU was rock solid at 13.8V for the 40 minutes it took (I had a multimeter checking the voltage at the underhood connection point).

The flash brought the proper phone settings menu to life in the MMI. BUT after the phone is connected, the Comms display is stuck saying "Transferring data..." and the phonebook sync never completes. I can make and receive calls, the hands free and keypad work.
politby,

When you updated the software in your MMI, did the coding index increase from C03 to C04? If this is the case, anyone one with a model year 2006 MMI (C03) should be able to upgrade to the 2007-2008 year MMI (C04).

I ask because I updated the software in my original (non-bluetooth) TELE60_2 TCU from 6946428 to 9133842 and the coding index increased from C04 to C06. New parameters were in the trace file as a result.

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
71 60 6 770 096 WARNING TRIANGLE WITHOUT CONTAINER $40
51 16 7 028 437 & 438 MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT & RIGHT, ELECTROCHROM
65 82 6 950 069 CONTROL DISPLAY (8.8") $200
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
politby,

When you updated the software in your MMI, did the coding index increase from C03 to C04? If this is the case, anyone one with a model year 2006 MMI (C03) should be able to upgrade to the 2007-2008 year MMI (C04).

I ask because I updated the software in my original (non-bluetooth) TELE60_2 TCU from 6946428 to 9133842 and the coding index increased from C04 to C06. New parameters were in the trace file as a result.
Yes, it did.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 750i sport
HI Guys

I have a problem after update software in TCUM
Programming went success new software version 9231089 old 6946428
BUT
for some reason drawer keypad won`t work (tried recode TCUM) but
Coding Index increased to C22 ?????
The highest Index for E65 is C13 I thinking

and my question is
How to connect NSC to work with the unit?
politby had the same problem in post #341
tried already change Coding index and other three options loading FAL profile but no change
Interesting is that INPA and Tool 32 showing Index 22 but NCS want C16 ????
Also for some reason ISTA/P not see my unit but ISTA/D recognizes the unit ok

thanks for any suggestions
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Hi,

Strange that the keypad has stopped working.

My TCU is on coding index C13 I believe, I found that deleting $630 from my VO and adding $633 for euro Bluetooth option has now allowed me to read and code the TCU without messing around with dummy VO changes in NCS!

What VO changes have you made so far?

Stuart
Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: 750i sport
HI
unit works fine before update so I think VO is set fine
Tried changed production date but no change at all
I have $633 in my VO
Stuart do You know where are hidden settings for keypad?
Keypad lost backlight as well
How to put back old software??? anybody know?

tool 32 before update

and after update

cheers

Last edited by masa52; 09-15-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixermann View Post
Hey guys, just got a 2002 745Li and I was convinced there was a way to do exactly what this post has been discussing soon after I realized what my idrive could and couldn't do. Did a google and here I am. iv made it to page 12 thus far trying to soak it all in, so if there's a walk through or guide pages ahead id appreciate the heads up. Gettin antzy and excited to start my retro fit.
So far Iv gathered ill need a TCU,(84109149615) thanks ACE and Stuartjohn. Ill need a later model MMI aka facelift. plugs for the fiber as well as the 54 dongle. And a decent batt charger for the flashing end. Now whats gotten me scrathing my scalp is the flashing and software end as to which program is easiest or best. NCS, tool32 and ACE's Dashsoft. Well still reading, like I said got excitted and wanted to join up and speak up. Great works guys, signed green with envy
Welcome to the world of BMW coding.

As my car is a face lift I had it a little easier since I only needed to replace the TCU and flash the MMI, but I'll comment on the software.

I don't believe there is anything Dashsoft can do that you can't do using a cheap OBD cable and the "free" (*) software available on the net. I have been using NCSexpert, NCS Dummy, Tool32 and WinKFP with great results.

As for power supplies, I am convinced BMW's 70A requirement is wildly exaggerated; I use a 50A ham radio power supply (see my earlier post in this thread) that cost me 118 euros and it works great.

(*) I am actually a little bit concerned about this; I work in the software industry and I have lots of friends in the music industry so I am always careful to respect copy- and intellectual property rights. I doubt BMW intended for their software to be distributed and used the way we do now. Not that it keeps me awake at night but I think it deserves consideration. And even though I use the software on occasion, I will not re distribute it.
I've been meaning to find out exactly if my use of the software actually is in breach of IP rights but have not gotten around to it yet.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: E65 760i
Hello guys.

I want to upgrade to Bluetooth ( I currently have the cordless handset in the front drawer). I know I will need some coding but do I just replace my Siemens AT with a Bluetooth TCU from any E65 as long as it has Bluetooth ( I have facelift mmi and ask)

Thanks very much
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil760 View Post
Hello guys.

I want to upgrade to Bluetooth ( I currently have the cordless handset in the front drawer). I know I will need some coding but do I just replace my Siemens AT with a Bluetooth TCU from any E65 as long as it has Bluetooth ( I have facelift mmi and ask)

Thanks very much
Pretty much, yes. As long as you make sure the TCU you transplant is recent enough to have the full Bluetooth implementation. Try to get one manufactured later than September 2006.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks very much. Will any make do (Everest / continental etc)?

Thanks again
Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Will a tcu from an e63 fit or must it be from an e65. The part number I have seen for sale is 8410917775402

Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil760 View Post
Thanks very much. Will any make do (Everest / continental etc)?

Thanks again
best to make sure on the label its sw 0906 onwards and its a tcu 1.5 most ece
heres 1 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-TCU-MO...item3cd0c60480
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-TCU-MO...item3cd13cfa8b