Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
'03 x5: Remote & Console door lock/unlock button, and cabin lights not working

Hi bimmer folk,

My 2003 X5 is acting up. I have a door lock/unlock issue with the following symptoms:

*remote keys only works to open trunk, but not on doors or alarm, although, still can use key to lock/unlock manually via keyhole, start engine, and truck runs fine;
*main cabin lights are out;
*center console lock/unlock button not responding;
*fuel lid locks/unlocks with doors;
*no burnt fuses in trunk area.

I did not re-intialize the keys since the remotes work to open the trunk.

In other threads some have suggested replacing the main body electric module, apparently situated behind the glove box. However, I thought I ask around before shelling out $500 on a non-returnable item.

So, anyone else out there dealt with this problem?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 x5 3.0i 99 JAG XJR
My son's 2003 is having the same issue. Did you find out what the problem was? Could it be a fuse? Thanks for your time.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5, 1996 328is
Try replacing the Hazard/Unlock Button. I had a similar issue and thats the part they replaced. Rather cheap compared to dealer dianostic or other parts.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 x5 3.0i 99 JAG XJR
Thank you for the info.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 x 5 4.4i
central locking system not working

Does anyone have an answer to this complaint. lots of people with the same problem but no answers. x5 2002.
thank you so much
Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: ma
[QUOTE=Jetblackstreak;5369200]Try replacing the Hazard/Unlock Button. I had a similar issue and thats the part they replaced. Rather cheap compared to dealer dianostic or other parts.[/QUO:

How much is it i need one tripple a broke my trying to open my x3 idiot morons huh
Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: ma
[QUOTE=gsandler;5493784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackstreak View Post
Try replacing the Hazard/Unlock Button. I had a similar issue and thats the part they replaced. Rather cheap compared to dealer dianostic or other parts.[/QUO:

How much is it i need one tripple a broke my trying to open my x3 idiot morons huh
Also BMW is the worst car i ever owned I'm buying a ford at least there cheaper to fix and break as often
Old 09-26-2010, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5, 1996 328is
Ford?!?!?

[QUOTE=gsandler;5493786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsandler View Post

Also BMW is the worst car i ever owned I'm buying a ford at least there cheaper to fix and break as often
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=61&fg=35
Part number 1 Cost apx $60

As for your repair issues if your taking your suv to AAA for repairs there is your first mistake. Im not saying BMW makes a solid car, every car needs work, but how is it that it is the worst car you have ever owned. Have you done all the needed maintenance to the vehicle? Was it pre-owned? Certified? Dealer or quailfied Indy shop serviced? How many miles on it?

I am a mechanic who has made a living working on Ford Cars and Trucks and from my stand point the parts are expensive because they are well made. I am sure that you always use the geniune BMW parts on your vehicle. Also an X5 is an electrical intensitve vehicle. We want all the nice bells and whistles and that requires a lot of sensors and computers. Anything electrical will wear out. Also any manufactured vehicle will have common problems across its lifetime, thats what these forums are good for.

What we forget is the 100K miles plus BEFORE the problem started and how little problem we had previously. Or yet how little we hear people praise these cars when they are working exactly like they should. If you treat the car right it will treat you right.

If you want a Ford by all means enjoy, but please don't come back when that ford hits 75k miles and is falling apart from poor engineering. And if electrical issues are your biggest problem, Im sure you can find yourself a nice Model-T somwhere, complete with no power anything and hand crank.

I hope the part above is what your looking for and if you want to compare a BMW to a Ford do it on a Ford Forum not here.

Good Luck and hope this helps!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
break80,

It sure seems like nobody is reading all your symptoms!!
Let me just reiterate what you posted originally:
#1 remote keys only works to open trunk, but not on doors or alarm, although, still can use key to lock/unlock manually via keyhole, start engine, and truck runs fine
#2 Main cabin lights are out
#3 center console lock/unlock button unresponsive
#4 fuel lid locks/unlocks with the doors.

For #1, if the key works to open the trunk it obviously doesn't need to be sync'd to the car so don't bother doing the key sync procedure. #2, no interior lights is interesting. These lights are controlled by the body control module (GM3) and not the light control module (LCM). A bad center console door lock/hazard button would explain #3, but, not any of the other symptoms. I repair GM5 modules used in the E46 3-series and get calls all the time from people wanting to know if I repair GM3 modules because they have problems exactly as you describe, mainly door locks and interior lights failed at the same time with no bad fuses and have been told by the dealer that the GM3 module is bad and needs to be replaced. The quotes I have been hearing are in the neighborhood of $1K including installation and coding. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my hands on a bad module to work on and don't have a fix, YET! I'm determined to come up with a fix though. Your best option at this point is to order a new uncoded GM3 module from getbmwparts.com ($368.66) or ECStuning.com ($434.28) and install it yourself. But since it is uncoded you will need to take it to the dealer and have it coded which will run between $100-$150. The module is located behind the glove box and is a white box about the size of a VHS tape with three large connectors plugged into in. I don't recommend a used GM3 module because there are a ton of different part number floating around with different capabilities from multiple redesigns. I have noticed 6 major groups of modules and have noted them on my web site. http://bmwgm5.com/GM3_Part_Numbers.htm When you go to order a new module you will need to give them the part number of your current module or the production date of your car. Depending on the production date it should be 61359117101 (up to 10/2003) or 61359117102 (from 10/2003). More general information on the GM3 can be found here http://bmwgm5.com/GM3.htm
If you have a bad GM3 module with door lock and interior light problems that you would like to get rid of let me know, I'd love to have it. My email is on my web site.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by break80 View Post
Hi bimmer folk,

My 2003 X5 is acting up. I have a door lock/unlock issue with the following symptoms:

*remote keys only works to open trunk, but not on doors or alarm, although, still can use key to lock/unlock manually via keyhole, start engine, and truck runs fine;
*main cabin lights are out;
*center console lock/unlock button not responding;
*fuel lid locks/unlocks with doors;
*no burnt fuses in trunk area.

I did not re-intialize the keys since the remotes work to open the trunk.

In other threads some have suggested replacing the main body electric module, apparently situated behind the glove box. However, I thought I ask around before shelling out $500 on a non-returnable item.

So, anyone else out there dealt with this problem?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Post if you find resolution to this issue.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM

If the door locks can not be operated from the central locking button or the key fob (but the key in the door works and trunk release works from the fob) and the interior lights don't come on when the door is opened then the problem is indeed a problem with the general module or GM3. The only place I know of that fixes this problem is bmwgm5.com/gm3.htm
Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 PM

Just had the same symptoms a few days ago after disconnecting my battery.: Remote key, cabin lights and interior door lock not working.
I went to my local BMW workshop and the computer check showed that my module went into 'Transport / Shipping' mode.
Cancelling / Resetting the transport mode bought all back to normal function. Was charged for half an hour labour.

Last edited by BMWROX x5; 09-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5
03 BMW X5 Door Locks/Interior Lights not working

Just fixed a 03 BMW X5 with the same problems door locks and interior lights not working after battery went dead. It was in Transport Mode. I work at a shop and used the Autologic OBD machine to take it out of Transport Mode every thing works fine now.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4
I had exact same issue. It is the GM5 that went wrong. Sent to a guy in LosAngles Ithink his forum is GM5guy and cost me $90 to fix it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancal View Post
I had exact same issue. It is the GM5 that went wrong. Sent to a guy in LosAngles Ithink his forum is GM5guy and cost me $90 to fix it.
I think you're in the wrong forum. This is the E53 X5 forum and E53 doesn't have a GM5 module. The E53 X5 has a GM3 module as well as the E39 5-series and L322 Range Rover. The GM5 module is used in the E46 3-series, E85 Z4 and E83 X3. The BMWGM5.com guy in L.A. does do repairs on both the GM3 and GM5 though.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Post X5 Problems locking

Hi Guys
My x5 heater was running after the key was removed and car locked causing the battery to go flat. I know what the problem is with regards to heater motor running and was going to fix it this weekend, but it snowed.

Anyway the key refused to unlock/lock the car, no light on inside the same as the first problem in this forums. Anyway as my x5 was bought from a dealer he is repairing it now. I'm expecting it back tomorrow (Wednesday) I will update you all as to what was required to make it all ship shape again, So log in tomorrow for an update.

I'm in the UK so time difference allowed.

Regards

Andrew
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyoyster View Post
Hi Guys
My x5 heater was running after the key was removed and car locked causing the battery to go flat. ... Anyway the key refused to unlock/lock the car ...
Andrew
Wait...you mean that when you manually inserted the key into the door lock cylinder...the cylinder wouldn't turn to the manual unlock position (the position that manually unlocks the door when there is no electrical power to unlock the door electrically because the battery is dead)?

I hope you didn't have your X towed to the dealer just to have them manually insert your key into the door lock cylinder to unlock/open your door.

The door lock cylinder has an electrically actuated position (45 degrees) and a manually actuated position...the far left/right (90 degrees) will manually lock/unlock the door cylinder. The illustration below is of an e38/e39 door handle...but the "positions" are the same for the e53:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-30-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Hi Guys
The key will not turn any way in the lock, I know it should but it does not work like that. Key will not turn in the lock

Update
I have been informed by my dealer all is now ok, if the battery goes flat behound the point of starting the car it goes into a "Safe Mode" upgraded software has had this removed. Also they found a power drain the was causing the battery to go flat.

They replaced the "Hedgehog" which I thought was causing my battery to drain, Im picking it up from garage tomorrow so I will update all when I get it back
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5
Power door locks will NOT WORK on X5, 2002

2002 BMW-X5... Power door lock problem..PDL Switch on console does nothing....Both rear doors & rear hatch "WILL NOT UNLOCK"....Problem srarted when locks would NOT unlock with the key (mechanical-unlock).. Got AAA to come by and unlock it. They used their "tool" to slip in via the door-corner and touch the PDL switch on the console.
I then tried the lock-unlock a couple time and that was it....................Key in the door has no effect (won't lock or unlock), also the PDL Switch on the console does NOTHING now.
Any sugestions?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Check the fuses for the central locking system...I know there's at least one in the rear...and there may be some up front in the glove box fuse area. I'm assuming that by "PDL"...you mean power door lock? If so, that is the first time I've ever heard the central locking system button called that...it took a few minutes to figure out what you meant.

BTW, you may have more than one issue. The rear door actuators may be one problem, and when the central lock/unlock button (on the center console) stops working, many times it due to a blown fuse or other failure in the central locking system...which means to check the fuel filler door actuator, the tail gate actuators, as well as all the door actuators.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0d sport
Had same problems with mine and car was in transport mode.
Garage charged me 25 to sort out. Perfect now. No need to change or repair any modules.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshplumber0 View Post
Had same problems with mine and car was in transport mode.
Garage charged me 25 to sort out. Perfect now. No need to change or repair any modules.
The problem will probably occur again the next time the battery gets run down, the car gets jumped, or alternator/voltage regulator goes bad.