Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
jb & ab

Mein Auto: X3 jb F250/5th wheel ab
Noisy AC Compressor

Our 04 with 46K miles is making enough compressor noise that you can hear it @ 70mph.
It's been getting louder for the past 5K or so.

Questions:

How mush longer will it last?
How mush to have it replaced?
Will BMW replace a noisy compressor under warranty?

Thanks
jb
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Do you not have the 4 year / 50K warranty? Take it in and get it replaced or at least looked at. If it's that noisy there is probably something wrong with it and it should be covered.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
noise like you are describing might be the belt tensioner. whatever the noise is you must be a patient person to put up with it for 5,000 or so miles.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:23 AM
jb & ab

ab say's it's the compressor, noise quits when I turn the ac off.
This is our first real problem, except for those door seals. We have less than 4K left on the warranty.
ab thinks it will make it till Aug when it's 100+ and no warranty.

Thanks
jb
Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Judy, it "might" be the belt tensioner after all. When you turn on the A/C more load is put on the belt to turn the compressor and that could cause the bearings in the tensioner to howl a bit. I had a similar problem on a Tahoe and changing the tensioner fixed it. I also don't understand waiting until the warranty expires. Right now, under the original warranty, it should be fixed at no cost to you. Why wait?

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-15-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i Black
At some point the AC will only blowing air. I have the same problem 6 months ago, dealer have to replace the Evaporator ( I do not know if this is correct spelling) and its working fine now. You have to bring it back to the dealer as soon as possible. BMW will pay for it if it less then 50K miles.

Cubi
Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judybe83 View Post
ab thinks it will make it till Aug when it's 100+ and no warranty.

Thanks
jb
Do I have this right? You are going to wait until the warranty expires so you can have the option of a) no air conditioning or a complete belt failure and no engine or b) pay mega bucks for repairs, instead of c) getting it fixed for free.

What are we missing here?

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-16-2007, 06:02 AM
jb & ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
Do I have this right? You are going to wait until the warranty expires so you can have the option of a) no air conditioning or a complete belt failure and no engine or b) pay mega bucks for repairs, instead of c) getting it fixed for free.

What are we missing here?

Cheers
We're not going to wait for the infamous "Can't duplicate problem " from BMW. Just wondering if BMW will replace a NOISY compressor?

ab
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Powder Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybe83 View Post
We're not going to wait for the infamous "Can't duplicate problem " from BMW. Just wondering if BMW will replace a NOISY compressor?

ab
If you get it "On the record" and it cannot be duplicated on the first visit, most dealers (don't know about BMW) will treat it as if happened during the warranty period.

I would take it in ASAP.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I agree with X3Ski take it in ASAP and lodge your complaint. Make sure it is written up that an attempt to repair was made. Then if you get the same old song and dance abut not able to duplicate take the car back and drive it until the noise happens again. Return it to the service department and do the same thing again. At that point a "history" is established and when the failure occurs (and it will) you have documentation that shows the fault was known and reported prior to the warranty end. You also might try another dealer's service department too. I don't know how many BMW dealers are in your area but it might be worth a try if "your" dealer can't fix it, another one can. The original warranty is valid of course at any BMW dealer. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-16-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
jb & ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I agree with X3Ski take it in ASAP and lodge your complaint. Make sure it is written up that an attempt to repair was made. Then if you get the same old song and dance abut not able to duplicate take the car back and drive it until the noise happens again. Return it to the service department and do the same thing again. At that point a "history" is established and when the failure occurs (and it will) you have documentation that shows the fault was known and reported prior to the warranty end. You also might try another dealer's service department too. I don't know how many BMW dealers are in your area but it might be worth a try if "your" dealer can't fix it, another one can. The original warranty is valid of course at any BMW dealer. Good luck!
That's 1 of the 2 things I'm worried about.
Judy and her service advisor seem to have a communication problem.
Example: Judy reports ---"doors squawking again"
Tech reports back -------" can't duplicate squawk coming from passenger seat"
this is not an exaggeration it really happened. jb is looking over my shoulder keeping me calm

# 2 would be Judy reports " noise when ac compressor on"
I"M GUESSING HERE but I expecting something like this from the tech
"Can't duplicate noise from ac VENTS have customer return when/if ac quites"

Hopefully I'm getting upset about nothing and the tech will report back " replaced ac compressor"

ab
Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Powder Days

One way to possibly improve communication is to write it out, take it with you and then make sure the SA copies the write up in the service order. My SA always lets me read the service order (I have to sign it before work starts) so you can at least eliminate that part of the problem.

Cheers

Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I was driving today in heavy rain and in order to keep the windows clear, I had the climate control on Automatic with the AC compressor on. Noticed a whirring/whistle sound that occurs, and it's definitely not normal. The noise varies directly with the engine rpm and occurs ONLY when the compressor is switched on. I was easily able to duplicate this also in Neutral which tells me it's related either to the AC system or the belts. No undue clattering or other noise, just a hollow whistle.

The AC system still cools fine but then again, it was colder outside the vehicle than inside. However, my impression is that cooling is sufficient. The dealer did suggest replacing the drive belt a few days ago, stating it was cracked. However, could the AC belt also be a culprit, since it only occurs with AC on?

This shouldn't be too hard. Ideas?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.6
2004 x3 2.6

I have a noisy compressor that does not affect cooling. If I turn off the air the noise stops. Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I also have this noise issue directly related to the AC being on. The instant I turn the AC off, the noise goes away. It's also directly related to engine rpms. The AC belt is less than a year old. Not sure if its the belt tensioner or the AC compressor. I haven't looked at it more closely yet.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
I have the same problem!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.6
AC Noise on X3 2004

My vehicle has 135,000 miles and makes AC noise but does not affect cool air. It stops when AC is turned off. Has anyone found a solution????
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubi View Post
At some point the AC will only blowing air. I have the same problem 6 months ago, dealer have to replace the Evaporator ( I do not know if this is correct spelling) and its working fine now. You have to bring it back to the dealer as soon as possible. BMW will pay for it if it less then 50K miles.

Cubi
I wanted to follow up with an update.

Unfortunately my AC just stopped working last week. No more cold air.
The whining noise is gone too. I'm not familiar with the AC system. I'm dropping it off to a mechanic in 3 days and will update again.

I hope it's not the Evaporator - 420.00 part!