Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Well, I stopped in to chat with my Service Advisor after dropping my car on the Sales side to have them rectify the clear bra. Anyway, he knows me and my car(s) and driving style and how I am oriented to troubleshooting and observing things and such. And when I explained the symptoms, of course he said he wants to put it on the computer and update the software, and needs it two days to do that. I knew that would be the response. He doesn't know or expect that there would be any faults logging, but he did say that he has seen cars that have had the software updated/reinstalled 3 and 4 times before and suddenly all the issues were resolved. He did offer and agree that it seems like it's a computer/software issue with regards to the computer talking to the transmission. And he also said that he hopes (as I do) that a software reinstall would actually resolve things. And he has an X3 in right now that is being reprogrammed for a loose mirror and said he'll go drive it this afternoon with my comments in mind and see if he experiences anything similar.

So the good news is that sure, it "might" be a software issue. The bad news is that of course I have to bring it in and leave it for two days, which for me is not an easy thing to do as it means a hotel stay. So I'll schedule and do it in a few weeks and we'll see what happens.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Well, I stopped in to chat with my Service Advisor after dropping my car on the Sales side to have them rectify the clear bra. Anyway, he knows me and my car(s) and driving style and how I am oriented to troubleshooting and observing things and such. And when I explained the symptoms, of course he said he wants to put it on the computer and update the software, and needs it two days to do that. I knew that would be the response. He doesn't know or expect that there would be any faults logging, but he did say that he has seen cars that have had the software updated/reinstalled 3 and 4 times before and suddenly all the issues were resolved. He did offer and agree that it seems like it's a computer/software issue with regards to the computer talking to the transmission. And he also said that he hopes (as I do) that a software reinstall would actually resolve things. And he has an X3 in right now that is being reprogrammed for a loose mirror and said he'll go drive it this afternoon with my comments in mind and see if he experiences anything similar.

So the good news is that sure, it "might" be a software issue. The bad news is that of course I have to bring it in and leave it for two days, which for me is not an easy thing to do as it means a hotel stay. So I'll schedule and do it in a few weeks and we'll see what happens.
Wowwwwwwwww. I am glad it does not take me two days to load down a new operating system and all of the software that might be needed.

How do you reprogram a loose mirror?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
LOL... I know, that was my reaction, too!! He said it was the control of the mirror that was loose (not like the body was loose). It's a year old 2012 and they had had it in 4-5 times for the mirror not holding the position.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I will definitely be watching this thread here for your outcome.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to contact my CA for some assistance and let him at least be aware of a potential issue.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post

That answer blew me away the first time I had issues with my X3. I asked him what baud rate they are using since only dial up is that frickin slow. Shoot it would be faster to hot swap one via ups from the factory they way they do computer flashes. For a company that is on the cutting edge with innovations they seem to be stuck in the 80's when it comes to computerized systems.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Yep, took two days to do a software upgrade on our 528 as well. They have to download the software for the whole vehicle and reinstall it, not just one module. The whole thing comes as one big ole package. It crapped out the first time thus the run over into the second day.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Yep, took two days to do a software upgrade on our 528 as well. They have to download the software for the whole vehicle and reinstall it, not just one module. The whole thing comes as one big ole package. It crapped out the first time thus the run over into the second day.
This is kinda scary. If there is a bug that affects the mirror, and that should be simple software, think about the possibilities with other bugs in the software. Driving down the highway at night and suddenly the lights start shining straight up to the sky. Reverse becomes forward. Air conditioning becomes heat. Gas gauge registers full but you are really about empty. Speedometer says 50 but you are going seventy, or vice versa and you wonder why it takes so long to get somewhere.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
The smart and efficient way to handle this would be to "pre-load" and ECU with the most up to date set up and then hot swap them out with dealers as necessary.

We do this all the time with computer systems. We ghost a "build' and then have several HD's ready for failure time. When we do an updated or new build we simply update the firmware chips or HD's. Again...engineering 101. It takes me no more than 30 minutes to replace an entire channel if it goes down. And this consists of thousands of lines of code and another 3,000 song titles plus.

It is more cost efficient in so many ways it is ridiculousness that BMW doesn't do this. I know high school AV departments that have this as SOP. I would be embarrassed to say I work for that division of BMW.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Rob

Mein Auto: '11 BMW X3 'M'
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcreese View Post
I have an 07 X3, that felt anemic in terms of acceleration, when I first got it.

Resetting the tranny, so that it could learn my habits made all the difference in the world. Since the learning mode lasts for 1000 miles. My guess is, the first time the tranny was "trained" the SUV was probably being broken in, where people have a tendency to drive very light.

A tranny reset, to tune-in the shift pattern and a refresh of the engine's spark plugs and pre-cat O2-senors, to bring back the engine's max torque, really changed my perspective on the X3... big time.

For you guys I'm guessing your mileage is too low to truly warrant a spark plug/sensor tune up. However, if you haven't reset the tranny, post-breakin period... you'll probably be presently surprised if you do.
How does the tranny get re-set? Can that be done to an X3 that's still under warranty (first 3 years)?

Last edited by AllProCanada; 09-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Rob

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebry View Post
Here is a link to the feature you mention. I did not know what it was so I searched for it and found this. This, IMO, is taking fuel conservation to the point of absurdity. Even with this acceleration hesitation and as much as I like my 525, I will take a look around at other cars. This start/stop thing wold drive me batty, and maybe to another brand of car.

With some of the new features, I will have to unlearn my current driving habits. Too many times I depend on the power in my 525 to get into small gaps in traffic, pass a car when there is an opening to pass, and other times I need instant response. I will be scared to do this with the acceleration hesitation.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...tart_stop.html
You are right, when we MEAN Go, then we DEMAND to GO not in a second or two after the Beemer will get the command and responds "Oh, the driver wishes to get going so I think I should just do that..." but as I press the gas to the floor (and lately I feel like I am pressing it so hard it should end up on the pavement), then I want INSTANT go... I mean this delay has almost got me into serious accidents. And that is what I will bring up extremely seriously in front of the Judge when I will take BMW to court... unless the dealership agrees to take their car off the 3-year lease.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Rob

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff View Post
i don't think you will be scared in those situations. first, those who complain about this hesitation are talking about accelerating from a stop, or sometimes re-accelerating after slowing down. i haven't heard anyone say they detect this, e.g., when moving in traffic and accelerating to pass. second, i've had my x3 35i for about a month, and i don't perceive any hesitation. your foot learns to do what is necessary, in the same fashion that you adjust to different engagement points with the clutch on varying manual transmission vehicles.
My 2011 X3 'M' (with a 3.5 x-drive engine) does the hesitation at ALL times. I could be at a dead stop or cruse at 60 km/hr or at 130 km/hr, when I press the gas to the floor, [the piece of cra*] always waits almost 2 full seconds.
I told my wife (I got this box for her) that imagine seeing a transport trailer hurling at you... and you do NOT have more than half a second to respond; you could do squat with this $78,000 X3 'M' as it could not move before almost two whole seconds pass after depressing the gas pedal to the floor.
Since my S-Class Mercedes cars have never had any issues, I trusted Germany with every technical gadgets they manufacture... I am now hugely disappointed in BMW.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 MB C300
This thread is very interesting. I just completed a 2-day test drive of a 2011 X3 28i with about 18K miles. After driving that and the 2013, I have decided on a 2013. I didn't notice any delays or hesitation in the test drive. I am coming from a 2011 Yukon Denali, which has hard shifting at times. I am hoping that the 2013 isn't' going to be an issue.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProCanada View Post
You are right, when we MEAN Go, then we DEMAND to GO not in a second or two after the Beemer will get the command and responds "Oh, the driver wishes to get going so I think I should just do that..." but as I press the gas to the floor (and lately I feel like I am pressing it so hard it should end up on the pavement), then I want INSTANT go... I mean this delay has almost got me into serious accidents. And that is what I will bring up extremely seriously in front of the Judge when I will take BMW to court... unless the dealership agrees to take their car off the 3-year lease.
I have been in an X3 2.8 loaner the last week - I'm actually its first real driver with 29mi. on the odo (not trip odo) when I took it. Presumably it's a '13 and the one time I jammed the gas to make a turn in front of oncoming vehicles - I had both my kids with me - it was literally a 1 second delay before it even decided to move. No the engine was not off from start/stop mode. I have a hesitation in my X5 too but it isn't this bad. I will never do that again with BMWs though. I'll just wait it out next time. Can't trust these things. Ultimate driving machine huh?

On another note, my X5 is a 6-speed and this is an 8-speed. I feel a little jolt while accelerating from stop and it's the gear changing from first to second very quickly. It seems as though it has too many gears for its own good. People say the 8-speed is smoother but honestly it's not to me. At least not for the city driving I do all the time. The one obvious plus is it feels a ton lighter and easier on the fuel economy.

Lastly the start/stop of the engine at red lights drives me nuts. If it were my own car I'd worry about longevity of parts. If I actually stop at stop signs for a second, it would shut off - shouldn't it allow for a longer delay? But the most annoying thing is the engine vibration you actually feel EVERY TIME it starts and stops. Were it not for that, it would be pretty seemless. I keep turning the feature off when I start the car because there seems to be no way to keep it off as default in idrive.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 09-20-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I keep turning the feature off when I start the car because there seems to be no way to keep it off as default in idrive.

You are correct that there is no way to turn auto-stop/start off in idrive. However, there is a BMW software update available that makes the X3 remember and use the last setting.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
You are correct that there is no way to turn auto-stop/start off in idrive. However, there is a BMW software update available that makes the X3 remember and use the last setting.
well that would be good (I finally returned the X3 today and I don't miss it ). It also annoyed me that it would turn back to using start/stop if you simply changed modes... say from comfort to anything else.

Oh and it was indeed a 2013 with the hesitation.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 09-20-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
My 2011 X3 'M' (with a 3.5 x-drive engine) does the hesitation at ALL times. I could be at a dead stop or cruse at 60 km/hr or at 130 km/hr, when I press the gas to the floor, [the piece of cra*] always waits almost 2 full seconds.
I told my wife (I got this box for her) that imagine seeing a transport trailer hurling at you... and you do NOT have more than half a second to respond; you could do squat with this $78,000 X3 'M' as it could not move before almost two whole seconds pass after depressing the gas pedal to the floor.
Since my S-Class Mercedes cars have never had any issues, I trusted Germany with every technical gadgets they manufacture... I am now hugely disappointed in BMW.
This one of the many reasons I did not buy a F25 X3 to replace my MT 08 X3. BMW continues to run the BS line that this is normal in a drive by wire car. I say Nay nay. The new 3 series with the same engine doesnt do this. Only the X3's seem to have this gremlin. Until BMW admits there is a problem, they will never solve it. Shame I had dreamed of own a BMW for as long as I could drive. When I got an 07 AT X3 all I could dream of was getting rid of it. I got the MT X3 and it was very nice, but no MT in the new F25 and I wasn't going to get burned again. Shame.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
It's not just the X3 with the hesitation issue, I know the X5 and 5 series has complaints about it as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M-Sport
My 2012 35i does not exhibit the lurching behavior - a problem that I believe has been resolved with a software update. However, modulating the throttle also might take a bit of getting used to; I think some of the problems people are having is related to owners pressing the throttle the same way they would on another car, and the X3 doesn't respond as expected. If you have the lurching problem and your service center refuses to update your software, I recommend driving in Sport. I always drive around with the DHP toggled to Sport+; it makes the X3 a fun and engaging ride. Only the X5M and Cayenne GTS/Turbo are faster, and of course those are a different class of vehicle. The X1 35i is also a couple tenths faster 0-60 because of it's lighter weight, despite having the older ZF 6 speed.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
My 2012 35i does not exhibit the lurching behavior - a problem that I believe has been resolved with a software update. However, modulating the throttle also might take a bit of getting used to; I think some of the problems people are having is related to owners pressing the throttle the same way they would on another car, and the X3 doesn't respond as expected. If you have the lurching problem and your service center refuses to update your software, I recommend driving in Sport. I always drive around with the DHP toggled to Sport+; it makes the X3 a fun and engaging ride. Only the X5M and Cayenne GTS/Turbo are faster, and of course those are a different class of vehicle. The X1 35i is also a couple tenths faster 0-60 because of it's lighter weight, despite having the older ZF 6 speed.
Why does everyone think it's acceptable to change your driving behavior on a $50k + vehicle for it to work right, or put it in sport mode to compensate for lack of proper response. Plus, the tranny is supposed to adapt to you, not the other way around. The ZF is a much better transmission to boot. Boggles my mind on this behavior every time I read someone suggesting to adapt to the vehicle.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Evlengr, I thought exactly like you... you shouldn't have to learn how to drive a $50-60K car.

It was a major concern of mine BEFORE I bought my X3. I found an online vendor which sold a remapped electronic throttle so I figured I could work around the BMW design fault. There was never anything wrong with the transmission on the 2nd gen X3.

By the time my car was manufactured and delivered BMW had fixed the electronic fault and my car exhibits zero throttle lag.

That said, the car will be somewhat reluctant to go to WOT when in ecopro mode.

Last edited by lbjgh; 09-21-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Why does everyone think it's acceptable to change your driving behavior on a $50k + vehicle for it to work right, or put it in sport mode to compensate for lack of proper response. Plus, the tranny is supposed to adapt to you, not the other way around. The ZF is a much better transmission to boot. Boggles my mind on this behavior every time I read someone suggesting to adapt to the vehicle.
I hear you, but every vehicle has its own character, and everyone adapts to the vehicle they're driving, whether they know it or not. With the X3, you're not forced to drive in a completely different way, just slightly different - at worst it's kind of 'heavier' pedal feel; you'll adapt without thinking, and the car does adapt to you too. The heavier feel is more becoming of a car with a lot of power and torque. Some people, however, have a hard time with this concept, especially if they're often switching between vehicles.

Proper throttle response means different things to different people. By default the X3 is balanced more for economy over aggression. If you prefer a more aggressive feel, as I do, choose DHP, and its more immediate throttle response in Sport+ and/or Sport mode. Having the ability to select the throttle response, tighten the steering and firm up the suspension to suit your mood or driving style is key.

If you need a manual SUV, unfortunately there aren't many choices in the USA. Since you are looking for connectedness, control, and engagement, in my opinion the X3 35i with DHP is still your best bet in its class. It drives like a true BMW, despite all the technology. I'm a purist too and wouldn't dream of owning a sports car without a manual, but I'll accept that a sporty, modern, practical SUV doesn't need to have the same connectedness and handling of a little sports car - I'll get a little sports car for that. It's still the best in class in that respect (it also handles quite well for a tall, 4222lb vehicle). Shift paddles aside, the tranny is smart enough, and the engine torquey enough, to keep the engine at peak RPMs in fully automatic mode so shifting isn't really necessary. It's also much better to drive a good auto in stop and go traffic, which happens all too often around here.

Have you driven an F25 35i with DHP?

Last edited by nonagon; 09-21-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Quote:
You are right, when we MEAN Go, then we DEMAND to GO not in a second or two after the Beemer will get the command and responds

Bimmer.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
I just recieved a 2012 X5 35i loaner and was shocked at how noticeable the hesitation was in normal mode. If I paid $60K for this sort of performance I would be shopping Audi or Porshe. Seriously not good.

The 2013 X3's also have the hesitation but not as bad. It was enough though to drive me up to the 35i. Every vehicles going to be a little different but my 2013 35i does not hesitate at all. If it did it would be in the shop for sure. No tolerance for hesitation issues especially in a new BMW at their prices.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
I just recieved a 2012 X5 35i loaner and was shocked at how noticeable the hesitation was in normal mode. If I paid $60K for this sort of performance I would be shopping Audi or Porshe. Seriously not good.

The 2013 X3's also have the hesitation but not as bad. It was enough though to drive me up to the 35i. Every vehicles going to be a little different but my 2013 35i does not hesitate at all. If it did it would be in the shop for sure. No tolerance for hesitation issues especially in a new BMW at their prices.
And yet Jen many people will make excuses for BMWNA with this. It's almost like "Enabling" a person with an addiction problem. They will never change their behavior as long as people keep covering for them.

I have driven 3 35 X3's and two did not exhibit the problem and one did. To me that means it's still lurking its ugly head. I was going to risk getting one if Dinan would have produced a chip like they have done for ALL the other N55 BMW's but for whatever reason they are dragging their feet on this one. If they do I would love to hear from someone how it changes things.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Evlengr,

Two thirds of the cars did not have the issue. I suspect the remaining car just didn't have the software update.

I agree that the drive by wire throttle application in the X3 was designed by the East German engineering team. My wife's 6yr old Acura has drive by wire and the throttle response is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
And yet Jen many people will make excuses for BMWNA with this. It's almost like "Enabling" a person with an addiction problem. They will never change their behavior as long as people keep covering for them.

I have driven 3 35 X3's and two did not exhibit the problem and one did. To me that means it's still lurking its ugly head. I was going to risk getting one if Dinan would have produced a chip like they have done for ALL the other N55 BMW's but for whatever reason they are dragging their feet on this one. If they do I would love to hear from someone how it changes things.

Last edited by lbjgh; 09-23-2012 at 07:05 AM.