Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
E34 Blower Motor Replacement - Cabin Filter

I have a 1995 540i and it appears my Blower Motor may be out, does not work on any speed settings. Before it stopped working completely it seemed to be running slower than normal on all speeds. Additionally when it first stopped working, periodically it would come on however that behavior has stopped. From reading other comments I am lead to believe it is not the Resistor, hopefully because the new Motor is on its way. Nevertheless my question is does anyone know if the cabin filter can be replaced thru the engine compartment when I am replacing the Blower Motor? Sounds like a good opportunity if possible. Lastly concerning the Resistor I have seen threads out here where some 95' 540i's do or do not have the Blade-Type installed. On some websites when attempting to order a Resistor, the site would lead me either or both types. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
paperplane94 paperplane94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by countycop911 View Post
I have a 1995 540i and it appears my Blower Motor may be out, does not work on any speed settings. Before it stopped working completely it seemed to be running slower than normal on all speeds. Additionally when it first stopped working, periodically it would come on however that behavior has stopped. From reading other comments I am lead to believe it is not the Resistor, hopefully because the new Motor is on its way. Nevertheless my question is does anyone know if the cabin filter can be replaced thru the engine compartment when I am replacing the Blower Motor? Sounds like a good opportunity if possible. Lastly concerning the Resistor I have seen threads out here where some 95' 540i's do or do not have the Blade-Type installed. On some websites when attempting to order a Resistor, the site would lead me either or both types. Thanks in advance for your help.
No, the cabin filter must be accessed the good ol fashioned way through the glovebox.

for help:
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_15.htm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
OK thanks for the quick repsonse. Thought I would take a shot at it and have never replaced it. Probably a good idea to do it at the same time since my knuckles will be sore anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM
supertech777's Avatar
supertech777 supertech777 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: springfield , missouri
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 753
Mein Auto: 1995 525i
This is not a knuckle busting project, once you start , you will find out that its an easy DIY . Don't forget to vacuum any debri in the filter cavity
Good luck
Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
paperplane94 paperplane94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
This is not a knuckle busting project, once you start , you will find out that its an easy DIY . Don't forget to vacuum any debri in the filter cavity
Good luck
Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Not knuckle busting until you have to refasten that silly white plastic strap.
The technique is you have to position a smaller flathead screwdriver inside the holes of both straps in order to pull the top strap over the bottom strap.

Talking about the "release strap"

The DIY writer obviously has a bolt there because he broke it the first time around. Use my above technique instead.

Last edited by paperplane94; 09-19-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
My525iT My525iT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 127
Mein Auto: 92 525iT Wagon M50
I thought replacing the cabin filter was a PIA on my 525. However no where near as the current oil pan PIA.
If the filter was never replaced - it could block the blower - it appeared so with mine. Truth: I really just hated the bentley instructions and the contouring my old body had to go thru.
Here is a 20 year old cabin filter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM
supertech777's Avatar
supertech777 supertech777 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: springfield , missouri
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 753
Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
Not knuckle busting until you have to refasten that silly white plastic strap.
The technique is you have to position a smaller flathead screwdriver inside the holes of both straps in order to pull the top strap over the bottom strap.

Talking about the "release strap"

The DIY writer obviously has a bolt there because he broke it the first time around. Use my above technique instead.
LOL , sorry but I didn't have a problem with the strap , the squirrel cage just needed a little man handling . Thank God it was flexible ..... Nothing in these cars is bad . Actually its easier,to work on than any late model GM products ! And the best part is most of the forum members here will help you get started toward the right direction .

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
So.... replaced the Blower Motor on my 95' E34 540i over the weekend with fewer problems as I expected. One thing I noticed, and I wish I would have snapped a photo is my White Strap that secures the housing did not have the center bolt/nut and no place for one, just smooth plastic. Additionally, the bottom of the strap was gone. I simply inserted another wire tie into the hole where the bottom of the strap should have been and connected to the existing White one coming over the top of the housing. Appeared secure so closed er' up. since I decided to work on the HVAC area I also thought it would be a good time to swap out the Cabin Filter since I never did. Not sure of it's age however could have been original. Nevertheless the change in the amount of air from the vents was unexpected. Forgot what it should have been, probably 4 or 5 times what it was prior to the swap. That process was painless as well. The only problem I really had was to understand whether-or-not the filter was properly in place. By that I mean there is not "Snap" or such to know it is positioned correctly. A bit cumbersome to get to since your face is firmly planted against the passenger-side floor mat in order to see what you are supposed to do. Lastly I recommend cleaning out the filter housing with a vacuum with a small tool end less than an inch in width. Lots of debris in that cavity and no way way could clean it any other way. All in all if I was timed with the cabin filter replacement, I think I could do it in 15 minutes. Well worth the time, money and effort considering the benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
You can change the blower, vacuum out the filter cavity (and presumable the blower motor cavity too), and change the cabin filter, all in just 15 minutes flat ?? Impressive !!

And would you say the increase in delivered air speed was due to the new blower motor, or the new cabin filter, or both? If both, how much of the change would be due to the new filter and how much to the blower ? Please try to guess if possible. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
You can change the blower, vacuum out the filter cavity (and presumable the blower motor cavity too), and change the cabin filter, all in just 15 minutes flat ?? Impressive !!

And would you say the increase in delivered air speed was due to the new blower motor, or the new cabin filter, or both? If both, how much of the change would be due to the new filter and how much to the blower ? Please try to guess if possible. Thank you.
RobertBaggio, did not mean to mislead anyone on the timeframe. What I meant to say was I believe I could change the Cabin Filter in ~ 15 minutes. The Blower Motor took ~ 2 hours start to finish. However even when the new Blower Motors was running full tilt, not much air was entering the Cabin. With the installation of the new Filter is when the drastic change occurred. So to answer your question, the Cabin Filter was clearly the culprit of the lack of Air Distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin Filter.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	343934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin Filter - Before-After.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	343935  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
No problem countycop911. I get you now.

I think i would like to change the filter on my car. Could you help me with the part number ? Thanks..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
No problem countycop911. I get you now.

I think i would like to change the filter on my car. Could you help me with the part number ? Thanks..
RobertoBaggio, I purchase most of my parts from BavAuto. From the attached images you can see mine for a 95' 540i it was the MANN CU338. Looks like yours is the same.

BavAuto:
www.bavauto.com/ Part Number= "64 31 1 390 836"

BimmerSpecialist:
http://www.bimmerspecialist.com/part...%20390%20836/3

Yahoo:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/819899009-...omotive-parts/

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM
countycop911 countycop911 is offline
Registered User
Location: Saint Louis
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by countycop911 View Post
RobertoBaggio, I purchase most of my parts from BavAuto. From the attached images you can see mine for a 95' 540i it was the MANN CU338. Looks like yours is the same.

BavAuto:
www.bavauto.com/ Part Number= "64 31 1 390 836"

BimmerSpecialist:
http://www.bimmerspecialist.com/part...%20390%20836/3

Yahoo:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/819899009-...omotive-parts/

Good luck.
RobertoBaggio, by the way I mistyped the part number. It is actually a MANN CU3338
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Thanks countycop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blower motor, blower motor resistor, cabin filter


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms