Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Thumbs up Water in floor of driver's side E39.

I've had a problem with water on the driver's side floor after rains. After partially removing the headlines and checking the sunroof drains I continued to experience a wet floor.a Several posts mentioned cleaning the tube like drains off of the cabin air filters. I did this to no avail. After further reading, I found there are two set's of drains on the cabin air filters, one tube-like drain that is part of the housing, and another underneath the housing directly in the sheet metal underneath the brake fluid reservior. This is found by removing the cabin air filter housing to reveal the area. Mine was "flooded" with about 4 inches of rainwater and the finger sized hole at the bottom was clogged with leaves. if you are having this same problem with water in the cabin, check this first. Much easier and simpler than the sunroof route. It's still not clear to me if there is a similar hole/drain on the passenger size assembly which holds a box of electronics.
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjennin2 View Post
I've had a problem with water on the driver's side floor after rains. After partially removing the headlines and checking the sunroof drains I continued to experience a wet floor.a Several posts mentioned cleaning the tube like drains off of the cabin air filters. I did this to no avail. After further reading, I found there are two set's of drains on the cabin air filters, one tube-like drain that is part of the housing, and another underneath the housing directly in the sheet metal underneath the brake fluid reservior. This is found by removing the cabin air filter housing to reveal the area. Mine was "flooded" with about 4 inches of rainwater and the finger sized hole at the bottom was clogged with leaves. if you are having this same problem with water in the cabin, check this first. Much easier and simpler than the sunroof route. It's still not clear to me if there is a similar hole/drain on the passenger size assembly which holds a box of electronics.
Good for you, and hopefully you found the problem before it fed any water into the brake booster unit or the vacuum hose from that into the intake manifold because if the brake booster gets wet inside, chances are good it will rust out (eventually .... any funny braking symptoms like a squishy or ultra-hard brake pedal? Be ready once winter arrives as the booster could freeze up....), and if water gets sucked into the intake manifold, it can hydrolock the engine (but causes misfires initially). Hydrolock = goodbye engine hello salvage yard.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Thanks !!! I am having this same problem... I was thinking my eroded windshield seal was the culprit (which I will be replacing soon) but Im going to check under the filter cabin immediately and hopefully I can put a quick stop to this today. Thanks again for.posting !!!!!