Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci Convertible
Bluetooth kits for 2001 cars

Has anyone heard of there will be a kit available to install a bluetooth in the older cars such as 2001 ?
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2004, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Supposedly it can be made to work for cars produced from 9/01 - on. Here is the thread from e46fanatics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=123022
Old 03-03-2004, 10:40 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
But 09/01 is MY02...

There is some sort of firmware mod that's required for 09/01-02/02. But there are physical wiring differences for MY99-01. I need to get off my duff and get in touch with my prior contacts to get back on this project...
Old 03-04-2004, 05:04 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3

theisgroup@hotmail.com

Here is what they sent me:

"Basically you need to go into the trunk and look at the harness for the
phone pre-wire. If you have a 26 pin and a 25 pin then you will need ours.
If you have the 54 pin and 26 pin then you can purchase the one from the
dealer. They will not have the correct mounting hardware, due to the fact
that the module is realy for e46 sedans, but it will work for you."

This was for a Coupe. Their modded ULF is supposed to work with 09/01 - 03/02 production. Although many 03/02 (mine did) have the proper wiring for the standard parts.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-04-2004, 07:26 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Wow, Cabriolet, what is that color?

I like!

Last edited by RKT BMR; 03-04-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Looks like Sahara Beige to me.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scotes
Mein Auto: '03 M5
Is phone harness part of the HK stereo harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
theisgroup@hotmail.com
Here is what they sent me:

"Basically you need to go into the trunk and look at the harness for the
phone pre-wire. If you have a 26 pin and a 25 pin then you will need ours...
So after reading this I went and tore apart my trunk and I have a 25 and 26 pin wiring harness (with an antenna connector and a small two pin black plug) - so I guess I would need to order the BT kit from TheISGroup.

Now, it looks like this harness is a part of the main HK stereo harness that plugs into the HK amp and my cd changer. I am currently considering adding the 16:9 Nav with the CD player to my non-Nav 325Ci. I know, I know; it's a royal PIA and I'm goikng to have to take the seats out and it's going to be expensive (though even a custom Alpine jobwill run me $2500) etc etc. but I want a Nav system in my car and I want it to look as clean as possible and the OEM is the only way to achieve this. Plus I plan on holding on to my BMW for at least the next 5 years before getting a new one.

Anyway, when I swap out the HK wiring harness if I install the Nav will this also cover the cell phone prewiring allowing me to use a BT kit for an 02 or 03 model? Or, can I just replace the cell phone wiring harness while I have the car apart? I am not really asking this question as a matter of cost but of practicality.

Vince

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotes
So after reading this I went and tore apart my trunk and I have a 25 and 26 pin wiring harness (with an antenna connector and a small two pin black plug) - so I guess I would need to order the BT kit from TheISGroup.

Now, it looks like this harness is a part of the main HK stereo harness that plugs into the HK amp and my cd changer. I am currently considering adding the 16:9 Nav with the CD player to my non-Nav 325Ci. I know, I know; it's a royal PIA and I'm goikng to have to take the seats out and it's going to be expensive (though even a custom Alpine jobwill run me $2500) etc etc. but I want a Nav system in my car and I want it to look as clean as possible and the OEM is the only way to achieve this. Plus I plan on holding on to my BMW for at least the next 5 years before getting a new one.

Anyway, when I swap out the HK wiring harness if I install the Nav will this also cover the cell phone prewiring allowing me to use a BT kit for an 02 or 03 model? Or, can I just replace the cell phone wiring harness while I have the car apart? I am not really asking this question as a matter of cost but of practicality.

Vince
You may have the wrong harness. In my car, the phone harness is totally different from the HK and CD harnesses (I have both).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
Wow, Cabriolet, what is that color?

I like!
Thanks, the color is called "Light Yellow" which is completly wrong. It is a gold tint that gets more compliments than any other car I have ever owned. It really looks great with the beige leather interior. 2001 was the last year it was offered.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Scotes
Mein Auto: '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
You may have the wrong harness. In my car, the phone harness is totally different from the HK and CD harnesses (I have both).
Wrong for what? It is definitely the phone cable. The phone part of the cable comes through the same hole in the frame as the stereo wires and it looks like it is tied to the stereo harness. I gather than that the two cables are just tied together than for neatness.

So if I am ripping apart the car to put in the Nav/stereo wiring harness can I just upgrade the phone harness to take advantage of the BT and voice features?

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-09-2004, 07:11 AM
M Mad

On my car, the phone harness and stereo harnesses are completely different harnesses. And the phone harness was stuffed way up in front of the shock mount.

One way to be sure is if yo have the FAKRA connector inteh bundle, this is a single larger wire (actually a coax cable) with a square white connector on teh end.

WRT what will happen if you change the cabling, I have no idea.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: M3ragtop
RE: Bluetooth Kits for 2001 Cars

I installed the blueooth kit for sale for 02 and beyond M3s this past weekend in my 03 convertible. It worked just fine, despite everyone I spoke to at BMW NA and my local dealer assuring me that it would not work. (Note: be advised you will need to find a tech at your local dealer to reprogram the computer to turn on the bluetooth option, so keep good relations with them).

Recommend you order the parts from Chris at Circle BMW (circlebmw.com). I also recommend you instal the kit yourself if your dealer won't do it (they will not install the kit in a convertible).

There are lots of factory instruction manuals at http://members.roadfly.org/bmw_e46_m3/index.html and the way to do a convertible (they are a bit different) is well documented at http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/Blue...uetoothcab.htm

Good luck. It works great and is well worth the money!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
Thanks, the color is called "Light Yellow" which is completly wrong. It is a gold tint that gets more compliments than any other car I have ever owned. It really looks great with the beige leather interior. 2001 was the last year it was offered.
If only I'd known how it really looked... I got OB when I got my '01 cab, not knowing that "light yellow" wasn't actually some sort of puke yellow.

Has I seen it beforehand, I would have ordered that instead of OB.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
If only I'd known how it really looked... I got OB when I got my '01 cab, not knowing that "light yellow" wasn't actually some sort of puke yellow.

Has I seen it beforehand, I would have ordered that instead of OB.
I never would have ordered it but I did see one car in the showroom just like mine. It was a lease return and had been beat up badly so I ordered a new one. I instantly knew I had to have this color because it is different and really suits the car with the sand interior. I'm glad they discontinued it because I have something rare. My dealer said you now have to pay a fortune to get something different. BMW calls it the "Individual Collection". I call it a cash collection for those who want something special.