Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Uncle!!! Need good frnt brake pad/disk combo. Been reading for hours. Too many links.

Need to replace front brakes on my 530i with Sport Package. Sensor has not tripped yet but may soon (had pads checked at two separate places with same conclusion). Also beginning to feel just a hair mushy (brake fluid may have moisture in it).

Just when I thought I narrowed things down I find a gazillion part numbers for the same brand brake pads. . Was looking at Akebono EURO. Now leaning toward the Hawk HPS (but not sure about dust with these).

I like the Hawk HPS but even they have five or so part numbers that fit my vehicle. I've searched this forum, Google, and so forth. I read through the "Best Links". I surrender!!! I give!!! Uncle!!!

Priorities/best place to purchase:

Pad - stopping (bite), dust reduction, cost.

Rotor - anti-corrosion coated, cost, wear. Think plain face rotor will due. Thinking Balo, Brembo, or Zimmerman.

BTW The steep hills in Seattle require a lot of breaking where I live on my way to work. I am a "Highlander" .

So please do not say "Do a search". I am all searched out.

Would be nice to have a ONE POST thread with pads and rotors rated as well as best place(s) to buy. Current threads have numerous posts with links-a-million.

Would be great to consolidate those into a "Top 3 (or 5) recommended pads (with part number) followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended rotors (with part number)" and "Top 3 (or 5) places to buy pads" followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended places to buy rotors".

Just a wish. Not a requirement. .

Thank you for your recommendations .

Last edited by seemyad; 09-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
Would be nice to have a ONE POST thread with pads and rotors rated as well as best place(s) to buy. Current threads have numerous posts with links-a-million.

Would be great to consolidate those into a "Top 3 (or 5) recommended pads (with part number) followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended rotors (with part number)" and "Top 3 (or 5) places to buy pads" followed by "Top 3 (or 5) recommended places to buy rotors".
We'll let you be the author of such thread once you've bought yours.

One.two.three...here comes the Akebono crowd.....

Last edited by dvsgene; 09-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Quote:

I feel like this needs to be done with everything on bimmerfest...
It's especially discouraging wading through half-done threads.
Someone asks a question, and then you get to look through 5 pages of opinionated responses with no conclusion..
I wish you the best of luck

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
I feel like this needs to be done with everything on bimmerfest...
It's especially discouraging wading through half-done threads.
Someone asks a question, and then you get to look through 5 pages of opinionated responses with no conclusion..
And you will never get that because everyone drives under different conditions and have difference preferences or opinions.

Not to mention, many are just interested in getting their answer and nothing more.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
If you're confused, go to the dealer and buy OEM. Despite the dust, it's a solid choice.

For me, Balo rotors and Axxis Deluxe pads have served me well over the years, on two different BMWs and a Benzo. IMHO, there's a LOT of marketing hype floating around concerning brakes.

Where did you pick up this "bite" thing? Don't you want the brake operation to be linear?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
i just put Bosch pads w/pre-installed sensor and Meyle rotors and so far they look and work great - REALLY CHEAP also! Bought them at bmaautoparts.com

2003 530iA Alpine White on Tan - SP, PP, Auto - SOLD
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BLUF, there is no perfect solution to e39 front brake pads. I've had the OEM (Jurids), Axxis Deluxe & the Akebono Euro. All have positive traits and drawbacks.

Jurids - Hands down, the best braking performance, feedback and linear feel of all pads. Quiet too. But dustier than a coal mine and nearly impossible to clean off a Style 42.

Axxis Deluxe - A good compromise between decent feedback and linear feel with relatively low- (but not no-) dust. But they tend to squeak, requiring periodic rebedding.

Akebonon Euro - Virtually dust free and super quiet. However, the feel and feedback is lacking. No initial bite, requiring nonlinear braking pressure. You adjust and get used to it after time.

Post back if you get the Hawks. After the Euros, I may go back to the Axxis (now PBR).
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
I have Akebono ceramic pads all around on my 02 540i. No dust at all. I believe the rotors are Brembo. I am pleased with everything.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Mein Auto: 2003 M-Tech 540 6spd
www.zeckhausen.com

Go to his site, Stoptech makes great rotors and you have your selection of pads with descriptions. If you are still in doubt, give them a call, brakes is what they do.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
I have ake's and zim's .Im happy No dust and you adjust to them in no time.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mio_e46 View Post
i just put Bosch pads w/pre-installed sensor and Meyle rotors and so far they look and work great - REALLY CHEAP also! Bought them at bmaautoparts.com
Just to clarify, did you put the Bosch Quietcast pads on the front? If so, how's the dust?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i m-sport
Akebono euros--meyle geomet rotors--thank me later

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_driver View Post
Just to clarify, did you put the Bosch Quietcast pads on the front? If so, how's the dust?
Yes sir, dust so far is low - will know more in a week or so I just installed them over the weekend

2003 530iA Alpine White on Tan - SP, PP, Auto - SOLD
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
A good performance hawk pad will work and you don't have to go to a full ceramic to keep the dust down . Check out our site for prices as we have just about any brand and if you need assistence you can call our tech line and we will help you find what you need. We sell ,install and use HAWK pads .
Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325is
What about this kit on eBay? Says its Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Think it's a good buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-Brak...cd21bb&vxp=mtr
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I've had great results with Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Never used Aching boners.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 03' e39
Ate premium one and akebono euro. All purchased from amazon.

Dust is low, stopping is excellent. The key to drive down hill is to use the proper gear to slow your car, not ride on the brake constantly.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
I went through the same frustration a couple of months ago. Having read everything I could and coming to the conclusion that everyone makes, "the best" pads and rotors. I went to the NAPA store and bought NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and ceramic pads. They are great. I have no complaints about them so far and as far as dust goes, not bad at all.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM
BMW ****ie

Pulled the trigger on:

Hawk Performance HB227Z.630 Performance Ceramic Brake Pad.
$74.81 (free shipping)

Tried calling sponsors but closed due to EST while Im in Seattle. Too many meetings in the morning to call earlier.

Have not pulled trigger on rotors yet. Saw one complaint on Zimmerman Z Coat which is what I am leaning toward. The complaint was the coating was an "ugly grayish" vs the shiny metal look. This was posted by some one in the BMW Touring (wagon).

Brembos I saw were two prices, $68 and $112 with no description. I assume the $112 were the Fronts.

BREMBO W01331597057BRE Disc Brake Rotor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...sNode=46244011

Willing to buy rotors (not sure which brand yet) from Bimmerfest Site Sponsor. Will try to call Friday morning.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
BMW ****ie

Just pulled the trigger on Centric High Carbon Plain 120 Series Rotor. $72.50 each with free 2 day shipping (Prime customers).

http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-...tric+120.34055

I almost went with the pricier 125 series rotor but I don't think I drive hard enough to warrant the additonal $20 each cost.

125 Series (Tirerack)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...2&autoModClar=

120 Series (Tirerack)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...2&autoModClar=

I'm going to pair these rotors with the Hawks Performance Ceramic pads I ordered (received them last week) and hope for a quiet, dust free, linear stop with similar back pressure to OEM.

Will update this post pre and post break-in.

Thank you all for your input. If you have any thoughts about Centric Rotors feel free to let me know. Never too late to exchange them before installing them.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM
BMW ****ie

Just pulled trigger on:

Bavarian Autosport Brake Bleeder Kit with Catch Bottle
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=PB03K

Agonized over this vs the Motive but as always made a decision and took action. Hope I don't live to regret this purchase over the Motive.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Just pulled trigger on:

Bavarian Autosport Brake Bleeder Kit with Catch Bottle
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=PB03K

Agonized over this vs the Motive but as always made a decision and took action. Hope I don't live to regret this purchase over the Motive.
Personally I think it is a waste of money. Spend that money on an air compressor!

I spend $5 on the ATE cap, use the air compressor:

DIY: 1-man Hydraulic Bleeding Kit for those with Air Compressor!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=392957
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Personally I think it is a waste of money. Spend that money on an air compressor!

I spend $5 on the ATE cap, use the air compressor:

DIY: 1-man Hydraulic Bleeding Kit for those with Air Compressor!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=392957
Darn it C90!!! Why are you guys so freakin smart? That is simple genius

Love it. Also the compressor serves multiple functions.

Dude THANK YOU AS ALWAYS. You Fudman, Duru, Blubee and a host of others are what a BMW owner needs.

I'm going to run with this little guy because its low cost yet is getting crazy reviews:

Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-He...d_sim_sbs_hi_8

Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cd_asin_lnk

Last edited by seemyad; 09-20-2012 at 06:11 PM.