Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Wow - I just realized that premium Hi-FI add 6 more speakers to the 10 already in the car and multiplies power from 140W to 600W. No I wish I had gotten this in the car i ordered.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528i
I talked to a reputable (yelp) installer in my area and he had one big concern. He said that BMW are notorious for voiding warranty if something goes wrong. for example, if another component in the car will break down, they might blame it on the aftermarket audio install.

I called Long Beach BMW and the CS said that although many people do have aftermarket system, if BMW will determine that an aftermarket installation is the cause of an issue, they might not cover it.

The installer advised me to not do the install. I will get a second opinion but what do you guys think ?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
My general experiance is they will find any excuse not to cover a warrenty item.
So if you can live with the sound, then do so.

Obviously, there are ways around this, but this requires you to be hands on in the event you need to take it in for a related warrenty issue...if so, plan your system design accordingly upfront
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
I talked to a reputable (yelp) installer in my area and he had one big concern. He said that BMW are notorious for voiding warranty if something goes wrong. for example, if another component in the car will break down, they might blame it on the aftermarket audio install.

I called Long Beach BMW and the CS said that although many people do have aftermarket system, if BMW will determine that an aftermarket installation is the cause of an issue, they might not cover it.

The installer advised me to not do the install. I will get a second opinion but what do you guys think ?
The example install posted before will replace the OEM amp directly, without cutting, tapping or splicing any OEM wires or fiber optics cables. 100% reversible.

In the worst case that you blow an OEM speaker (the MS-8 may burn first) then there will be no warranty for the speaker. If you are sleazy -not that I am calling you sleazy- then unplug the MS-8, put back the OEM amp and then claim the warranty of whatever in the audio is defective.

Do it right to begin with and you will not have to claim any audio warranty repair. And you will not have to be sleazy...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The example install posted before will replace the OEM amp directly, without cutting, tapping or splicing any OEM wires or fiber optics cables. 100% reversible.

In the worst case that you blow an OEM speaker (the MS-8 may burn first) then there will be no warranty for the speaker. If you are sleazy -not that I am calling you sleazy- then unplug the MS-8, put back the OEM amp and then claim the warranty of whatever in the audio is defective.

Do it right to begin with and you will not have to claim any audio warranty repair. And you will not have to be sleazy...
About 10 years ago my warranty was denied when my navigation failed (this was on a benz). I added a subwoofer and amp about a year prior to this time. Guess what they blamed was the cause? They ended up replacing my command center, but I had to fight tooth and nail for months. So I wouldnít consider a reversible system sleazy, its more so you donít get sleazed on. If you blow a speaker with a new amp, switch it back to OEM and claim warranty, yes thatís sleazy. But if your idrive goes or Nav, I would strongly recommend swapping back to OEM before you claim warranty or you will most likely get sleazed. Just my opinion and experiance.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I am not worried about the speakers getting blown but about other things in the car. for example - head unit or even other electrical systems. I am unfamiliar with how crafty BMW can be and if they claim that pretty much anything going wrong is due to someone messing with the Audio.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
About 10 years ago my warranty was denied when my navigation failed (this was on a benz). I added a subwoofer and amp about a year prior to this time. Guess what they blamed was the cause? They ended up replacing my command center, but I had to fight tooth and nail for months. So I wouldnít consider a reversible system sleazy, its more so you donít get sleazed on. If you blow a speaker with a new amp, switch it back to OEM and claim warranty, yes thatís sleazy. But if your idrive goes or Nav, I would strongly recommend swapping back to OEM before you claim warranty or you will most likely get sleazed. Just my opinion and experiance.
exactly what I am worried about.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
That's not sleazy, that's a good case for 100% reversible.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM

even if it'll be reversed, wont BMW be able to tell that work has been done ?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
even if it'll be reversed, wont BMW be able to tell that work has been done ?
If you use Technics suggestion on the amp, then no way. I would do that first and reevaluate your sound before proceeding.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Just to be clear -- the first step is to install the JBL MS-8 while leaving everything else the same?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
Just to be clear -- the first step is to install the JBL MS-8 while leaving everything else the same?
Just a suggestion, but yes. You may be satisfied with just that. If distortion is the issue, that will resolve it and clean up the sound. If you need to fill sound gaps , then you will need to do more dependent on what you desire. Most desire more bass.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
The MS-8 is a suggestion just because it has a built-in 8-channel 240W RMS amp, Logic7 processing and autotuning. Pretty much what the Premium OEM amp has and is but with better custom adjustability.

The OEM speakers can be left in place as they sound quite clear and loud with aftermarket power. They can be replaced later if better performance is required. But for a first upgrade, this should satisfy most owners.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
The MS-8 is a suggestion just because it has a built-in 8-channel 240W RMS amp, Logic7 processing and autotuning. Pretty much what the Premium OEM amp has and is but with better custom adjustability.

The OEM speakers can be left in place as they sound quite clear and loud with aftermarket power. They can be replaced later if better performance is required. But for a first upgrade, this should satisfy most owners.
Thanks. The OEM amp is 160W?

EDIT: Nvm, I found this on BMW's website:
Audio system
Anti-theft AM/FM stereo/CD audio system with Auto-Store, FM diversity antenna system, MP3 capabilities, and 10-speaker, multichannel high-fidelity sound system incorporating an analog amplifier with 180-watt output power. The system includes 3 tweeters, 5 midrange speakers and one central bass speaker located under each front seat.

Last edited by wildcardz; 09-20-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks. The OEM amp is 160W?

EDIT: Nvm, I found this on BMW's website:
Audio system
Anti-theft AM/FM stereo/CD audio system with Auto-Store, FM diversity antenna system, MP3 capabilities, and 10-speaker, multichannel high-fidelity sound system incorporating an analog amplifier with 180-watt output power. The system includes 3 tweeters, 5 midrange speakers and one central bass speaker located under each front seat.
The F10 HiFi 7-channel OEM amp is actually about 205W max (25W x 5 + 40W x 2). The 180W was the old 6-channel OEM amp in the late E60.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Ride On!

Wonder if there is something like the MS-8 but with more power. I know that I can just add an external amp to it but like the idea of a single box solution to keep it simple. I haven't looked but anyone know where the oem amp is located? Great info btw.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to messiry
Mein Auto: 535i
is there an amp in the standard audio system (basic)? if so where is it located? i will think i will go with technic advise, i asked my BMW dealer today here and they confirmed that there is no problem with after market speaker/amp etc as long it fits in the same location and no cable extensions, splicing, or any electrical modification that may affect the car electric/electronic circuits. sounds fair IMO, so if I go with the JBL MS-8 if it fits directly in the place of the OEM amp place, i am also getting the tweeter covers (part no# sent by technic) and gladen tweeters (direct fit) also there is gladen sub (direct fit) and no need for any mod.

does it make sense!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM

I think I'll go with the MS-8 as Technic suggested and take it from there. where would it be installed ? can you (or anyone else) can recommend a good installer in LA/OC (socal) area ?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiry View Post
is there an amp in the standard audio system (basic)? if so where is it located? i will think i will go with technic advise, i asked my BMW dealer today here and they confirmed that there is no problem with after market speaker/amp etc as long it fits in the same location and no cable extensions, splicing, or any electrical modification that may affect the car electric/electronic circuits. sounds fair IMO, so if I go with the JBL MS-8 if it fits directly in the place of the OEM amp place, i am also getting the tweeter covers (part no# sent by technic) and gladen tweeters (direct fit) also there is gladen sub (direct fit) and no need for any mod.

does it make sense!!!
No tweeters in the front doors have meant no OEM amp so far. The iDrive unit powers the 6 speakers directly.

I do not think that the F10 has changed that.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Wonder if there is something like the MS-8 but with more power. I know that I can just add an external amp to it but like the idea of a single box solution to keep it simple. I haven't looked but anyone know where the oem amp is located? Great info btw.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
The F10 OEM amp is located under the left side trunk liner/trim.

The MS-8 and the Zapco DC series are the only DSP processors with built-in amplifiers currently available.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The F10 HiFi 7-channel OEM amp is actually about 205W max (25W x 5 + 40W x 2). The 180W was the old 6-channel OEM amp in the late E60.
So are you saying the website is outdated?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No tweeters in the front doors have meant no OEM amp so far. The iDrive unit powers the 6 speakers directly.

I do not think that the F10 has changed that.
Technic, that answer confused me a bit.

So on the standard stereo, there is no AMP to upgrade and the speakers are being driven directly from the iDrive - is that correct? My car is going to come with the standard radio so I want to plan if I need to upgrade and my options.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 09-20-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
So are you saying the website is outdated?
That is not unusual.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Technic, that answer confused me a bit.

So on the standard stereo, there is no AMP to upgrade and the speakers are being driven directly from the iDrive - is that correct? My car is going to come with the standard radio so I want to plan if I need to upgrade and my options.
The most basic BMW audio system is the Stereo (no OEM amp, 6-speaker system) which have the speakers driven by the radio directly. And the easiest way of determining that is by noticing the absence of door pillar tweeters. The front mids and underseat woofers are connected in parallel and driven by the radio front outputs.

That system is not available in the USA F10. We get the HiFi (7-channel OEM amp, 10-speaker system)
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to messiry
Mein Auto: 535i
Many thanks for this, yes i have a european F10 and no door tweeters. I hope there is a away to change this and upgrade/add tweeters and amp to the system. it is a shame to have such car and bad audio quality.