Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
2011 X5D; starting to think about extended warranty...

Hello everyone,

My 2011 X5D now has 30,000 miles on it; I absolutely love the car and will be keeping it for a long time. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to start looking for extended warranty and/or extended maintenance for the car. Does the fact that its diesel should make me more or less likely to get extended warranty and/or extended maintenance?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
I am in exact same situation, 25K miles
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
do you have a trusted indy? Are you a DIYer?

Part of the challenge is 'managing service visits' with a warranty- if you will always go to the dealer, that is one path- but if you get a drivetrain warranty, you'd definitely want an indy (or yourself) to do the initial diagnosis and determine if whatever warranty you do have will cover it. I see people getting 'trapped' with big fees to diagnoses and then limited choices for second opinions or repair alternatives.

How many sets of pads you go through already? IMO the maintenance is a sucker buy, usually. '

Shop sponsors for the extended warranty plans.

A
Old 09-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If you bought the car new and are eligible to purchase the BMW extended warranty than I would suggest that would be wise. Perhaps not the extended maintentance plan but the repair warranty for sure IMHO. You can shop the various sponsors here to get the best deal -- remember you do not have to buy the BMW warranty from your selling dealer -- but you do have to buy it from an authorized BMW dealer.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdoc74 View Post
Hello everyone,

My 2011 X5D now has 30,000 miles on it; I absolutely love the car and will be keeping it for a long time. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to start looking for extended warranty and/or extended maintenance for the car. Does the fact that its diesel should make me more or less likely to get extended warranty and/or extended maintenance?

Thanks in advance!
If you would like some warranty quotes please send me a message. I am giving great prices for Bimmerfest members.
(818) 552-4611

danieldutton@pacificbmw.com
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

@Daniel- thank you very much; as soon as I decide what I want I will def ask for a quote. The car is not even 2 years old and I still have 20,000 miles of original warranty left.

@serge- what are you planning on doing?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
-Me too - I have 48K on my 2011. Put a lot of miles on it the past 2 years, but this will slow down now that my son is out of college. But i will keep the car for a long time. I love not having to pay for service and I love my local dealer. So I think it may be a good idea to buy the warranty. Has anyone had any issues with repairs under warranty? After I plunk down the huge change for the warranty, how much should I expect to pay out of pocket for repairs and maintenance?
Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 35i
Paid product warranties, especially auto warranties, are nothing more than prepaid repairs. Sure, you can win. But it is a lot like playing blackjack against the house. Maybe you get lucky, but if you play for a long time you will almost certainly lose. If it is your own car, then you are a better judge of reliability. If it has been reliable, then you will pay too much for the warranty you most likely will never use. Of your car is like mine, then you are better off not keeping it.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

@serge- what are you planning on doing?
Thinking about purchasing the extended warranty to cover basics (electronics, suspension, engine).
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyraymallard View Post
Paid product warranties, especially auto warranties, are nothing more than prepaid repairs. Sure, you can win. But it is a lot like playing blackjack against the house. Maybe you get lucky, but if you play for a long time you will almost certainly lose. If it is your own car, then you are a better judge of reliability. If it has been reliable, then you will pay too much for the warranty you most likely will never use. Of your car is like mine, then you are better off not keeping it.
It's hard to tell how reliable the car will be at 25K /1yr. I have read that big problems usually start after original warranty expires.
If I can get basic extended warranty for 1500-2000 bucks, that's a good deal in my opinion. Even if nothing major breaks, I want to have a peace of mind.

I am a DYI guy, so probably can change oil myself.

P.S. Have been paying my car insurance for years without an accident. Sure, waste of money if you think about it, but a piece of mind nevertheless (without mentioning the laws, etc).
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
if you buy extended warranty for engine, is BMW not expecting that you go the dealer for an oil change?

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
if you buy extended warranty for engine, is BMW not expecting that you go the dealer for an oil change?
No, absolutely not. You must DO the recommended maintenacen, but who does it will not be the issue. (Unlike in the EU where the governments allow dealers to abuse consumers with mandatory services...hmmm...maybe not everything in EU is better? I kid, I kid)

Save your receipts- if an indy, just the invoice. If you DIY I keep a binder for each car- general info, over time I print off pages of TSBs, or common torque values, toss in receipts for parts, filters, oil....NEVER had an issue. (But never blew up a motor...did destroy a tranny once)

Having said this, I am referencing a BMW warranty- other thrid party warranties CAN have funny clauses about maintenance. A new car warranty (ie the base 4/50) also cannot requrie dealer service. (Just FYI- for bmw it is free)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
OK, good to know, thanks

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but one other consideration is resale. If you put significant miles on your vehicle you are already losing money if you try to resell it. Having a transferable warranty that still covers all of the major components is likely much more important to many (not all) purchasers. We wouldn't get near any BMW that wasn't in warranty from our past experiences with them, fwiw.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 10-03-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
I just bought a 2012 X5 35d. What are your quotes for an extended warranty?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You'll have to PM one of the sponsors for a quote. Daniel at Pacific BMW offered to provide one earlier in this thread.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Get extended warranty at 49k or sell the vehicle. I continue to have nitty issues on my X5D. Have had two failures in the last week at 50,111 miles. Both were covered by BMW as "Goodwill" under warranty, however, car is only at 50k miles. Car has been recalled for temp sensors and emissions issues, dead battery and now a diesel fluid temp sensor which resulted in replacing the main diesel fluid tank. The last two issues were in the last week at 50,111 miles! I have an extended warranty, but theses issues should not be occurring. i think there some inherent engineering issues with this vehicle as a result of it's unnecessarily complex engineering. Plan to dump this POS when my extended warranty expires.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
interesting reading as I have an 11' X5 35D. we love it and it has now 35k on it. It is a lease for 45 k 3 years and over one year to go so we'll see if I buy it or not. no major issues excpet for 2 flat tires at ab $500 each, ouch.
it was in for recall and they did not have the parts, has not been in since to get them installed.
If i keep it I will definitely get the extended warranty. Regret a little that I did not keep my 4.8 08 model as it was definitely more powerful and it had some qulatity details that they started to skimp on later. Ex. the strut holding the spare tire lid up.

anyone have any idea of price range for extended warranty like the preowned certified carry?

h
Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
You'll have to PM one of the sponsors for a quote. Daniel at Pacific BMW offered to provide one earlier in this thread.
Thanks UncleJ!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Just another data point.

Found this thread on another website re X5 extended warranty.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ricing-19.html

One before last post is a guy who purchased extended maintenance plan and Platinum extended warranty for $6400. That sounds like a lot of money to me. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
. That sounds like a lot of money to me. Any thoughts on this?
Me too!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
...That sounds like a lot of money to me. Any thoughts on this?
Me too!! And it was me

I didn't feel that I had any choice. No indies around me and I don't know enough to maintain the X5. If I was in that situation again now, I would still do the "Extended Vehicle Protection Program" (i.e. extended warranty) but I wouldn't do the "Maintenance Program". I would also act sooner and shop around more for a better price.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM

LOL Brian, that's funny!

Thanks for this info and your opinion. I do have indies around but don't feel like wasting time with issues should they occur. Having extended warranty would be nice. I will should around when the time comes but for now still have around 19K miles left in the original warranty. Probably will start seriously looking in a year.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Exactly. There's a reason why these extended warranty companies exist. You almost always lose. It's a much better idea to set aside a little money each month specifically for auto repairs. If something happens, you have $ to have the repairs done. If nothing happens, you have a nice chunk of change that can be used for other things.

former:
2004 BMW X3 3.0i (Mystic Blue Metallic)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (Galaxy Silver Metallic)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGT View Post
Exactly. There's a reason why these extended warranty companies exist. You almost always lose. It's a much better idea to set aside a little money each month specifically for auto repairs. If something happens, you have $ to have the repairs done. If nothing happens, you have a nice chunk of change that can be used for other things.
While this is true, there is another aspect that needs to be used in ones' personal calculus: can YOU tolerate the risk if a large repair hits?

Odds are, over time or over multiple vehicles, you will come out ahead with self-insurance...but some folks cannot financially (or emotionally) tolerate a $6k bill. or two of them.